The Future of OrielWeb

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

pingu1
Reserves
Reserves

Re: The Future of OrielWeb

Post by pingu1 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:59 pm

Echoing what everyone else has stated but thanks a million Colin for your efforts keeping it going so long.

I’ve found Orielweb to be a great way of connecting with supporters before social media really took over and I’ve made some good friends thanks to it, even if we don’t always agree.

Like most, I spend more time on here as a guest rather than posting but I’d be happy to contribute some way to keeping it alive in the new year.
The only team for me.....

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:36 pm

As an addendum to my earlier post, I too would be happy to chip in with money for the running costs if one of the computer savvy lads would do the running of the site. There are not too many Dundalk fans here in Yorkshire other than a few of my neighbours who I have brainwashed over the years! OW has been something of a lifeline for me. Great news on Hoban, quality player, quality chap. c'mon da town.

DanielSexton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DanielSexton » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:43 pm

Oriel Web was a godsend to me when I moved to Cork in the pre social media days and I hope it continues. Great to see so many people interested in keeping it alive.

carrickfan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by carrickfan » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:10 am

This is sad news, I always felt orielweb was my trusted advisor in terms of being able to express opinions comfortably in a focussed forum with likeminded people about DFC. Later on I joined Twitter and other social channels to keep up but always referred back to OW last thing most days. Great work Colin for 19 years, I really hope your legacy continues.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:07 am

A big thanks to Colin for the last 20 odd years. Going forward, more than happy to help where possible.

holidaysong
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by holidaysong » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:52 pm

Thanks Colin for the effort in keeping the show on the road with the forum for so many years.

Like some others, I would have just fallen into the bracket of never considering the time and cost involved in this but it has definitely been appreciated.

I remember registering in a computer lab in college in my first year living in Dublin. I didn't even own a laptop. How times have changed and how fast life moves on.

Gearóid Bellew
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Gearóid Bellew » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:51 am

As has already been stated, thank you for the effort & commitment to keeping the site running over the years.

Having run a forum many years ago & later being part of the moderator team in another one I know that its a time consuming task.

I do not think that facebook / twitter etc are true replacements for a forum, so I'd be sorry to see here close.

I would be happy to help in any way that I can with a view to keeping the forum online, be it financial and or admin etc

ruckyhill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ruckyhill » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Sounds like there is the will to chip in with time and money including a very generous offer from Adam (not wanting to ignore the very generous contribution and solo effort from Colin over the years).

As the hosting renewal is due 25th January it might be good to have a plan sooner rather than later although I know this is a busy time for many. I'm sticking my head above the parapet here but only with a view to moving things forward. Happy to volunteer some time if I can be of use and contribute to a gofundme effort as has been suggested but, so far, eamoss and/or GSBellew might be willing to act as 'technical leads' (hope I'm not showing my ignorance too much :))?

Other items that might be relevant.
Current platform - happy to continue with the forum as is? I like it as is, am used to it. The only thing that bothers me sometimes is the amount of text when posts include a quote although not sure that's a technical issue. Either way, a plaform update is due.
Avoiding the shit (to paraphrase Colin) - any ideas on how best to moderate the forum?
Current package - do current monthly limits need to be looked at?

Should setting up a gofundme be the next step (not something I've done before)?

Oh, happy to give my real name by private message.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:53 pm

Good questions and ideas ruckyhill.
I like the format as it is too but maybe some sort of platform update is needed as you say.
Maybe Colin will need to post an update on how the ‘takeover’!! of OW is progressing from time to time? Has anybody even actually put concrete terms to him?!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:34 pm

No disrespect intended (as I dont know anyone proposing to be involved) but I assume that all identities - both current and dormant - automatically become available to anyone involved going forward.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:36 pm

oldfogey wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:34 pm No disrespect intended (as I dont know anyone proposing to be involved) but I assume that all identities - both current and dormant - automatically become available to anyone involved going forward.
There has to be some level of trust as with any online forum or social media platform. How many of us know Colin etc when we originally joined oriel web?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Stephen
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Stephen » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:26 pm

Great post Colin and a lovely mention of our good friend Burbank White. I didn’t realise the administration of the forum involved so much. OW is a terrific resource for fans and regardless of what becomes of it, I would thank you for what you’ve put in to it.
Last edited by Stephen on Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
20th May 2014. Dundalk 7 Drogheda United 0

Colin Gallagher
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Colin Gallagher » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:08 am

Thanks for all the thanks everyone. Almost makes me want to change my mind. Almost!
Eamoss has been in touch on Facebook with me (we know each other from waaaaayyy back) and I would be very happy with him as the official email address to hand over the hosting to so perhaps some of you want to DM with him through here to see how the logistics aka money contributions happen.