Attendances 2022

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 8200
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by mike » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:19 pm

punkha wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:34 am Heard Tiernan Mulvenna reference on Pressbox that Muirhevnamor v Quay was on last night also? Don't know the politics involved here but seems absolutely mental.
Allowing for that and holidays over 2k v Finn Harps is respectable enough.
Totally agree, and add in around 50 away support its essentially 2k home fans from our core base of 4-5k, its not bad. Also this will be the lowest of the season, and as I touched on before, under the SK era we dipped below 2k a few times (not many) but there were a few.

Derry in 2 weeks be be 3k+, crowds also pick up in Sept, we have Shels and Drogs that month, then Pats, Sligo and Bohs in Oct, all are attractive games with most having good away support, so crowds will pick up.

Just a pity there are such high profile junior games on when we play at home, surely a deal could be done, offer Oriel for their cup final on a Thurs or Sat night, maybe they already do but still seems madness having these clashes.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7537
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:31 pm

mike wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:19 pm
punkha wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:34 am Heard Tiernan Mulvenna reference on Pressbox that Muirhevnamor v Quay was on last night also? Don't know the politics involved here but seems absolutely mental.
Allowing for that and holidays over 2k v Finn Harps is respectable enough.
Totally agree, and add in around 50 away support its essentially 2k home fans from our core base of 4-5k, its not bad. Also this will be the lowest of the season, and as I touched on before, under the SK era we dipped below 2k a few times (not many) but there were a few.

Derry in 2 weeks be be 3k+, crowds also pick up in Sept, we have Shels and Drogs that month, then Pats, Sligo and Bohs in Oct, all are attractive games with most having good away support, so crowds will pick up.

Just a pity there are such high profile junior games on when we play at home, surely a deal could be done, offer Oriel for their cup final on a Thurs or Sat night, maybe they already do but still seems madness having these clashes.
Mike where are you getting this core base of 4-5k? Even playing the best football seen in LoI and going for 3 in a row we would have struggled to break 4k. We have a core base of 2k which swells with big event junkies to probably 3.5k to 4k for matches in oriel and possibly 4.5k if we play a big big name in Europe in tallaght and then possibly 5-6k if we get to the cup final in the Aviva. For the most part it is in and around 2k for home league games swelling to about 2.5k for RVs with their 3-400 fans on top of that.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 8200
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by mike » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:35 pm

The core of 4-5k was a max figure Niall and from the overall pool, so for example avg this season is 2.8k, but I would think there are at least 1k floating fans who pick games to go, agree with you on the 2k, but this is a base.

Cork at home last game of 2014, I think 5.5k at it, 500-700 away, so that gives a good outline of the support base, but cup finals, we took 10k to most, but all clubs will generally get 3 times their avg.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7537
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:34 pm

mike wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:35 pm The core of 4-5k was a max figure Niall and from the overall pool, so for example avg this season is 2.8k, but I would think there are at least 1k floating fans who pick games to go, agree with you on the 2k, but this is a base.

Cork at home last game of 2014, I think 5.5k at it, 500-700 away, so that gives a good outline of the support base, but cup finals, we took 10k to most, but all clubs will generally get 3 times their avg.
Ah mike 2014, was a title decider and our first shot at the title for 19 yrs. From 2014 crowds dwindled due to familiarity of success. We have a core of 2k fans that's it, and that will dip to about 1600 if we stop challenging.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 8200
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by mike » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:32 pm

I'd still go around 3500 Niall, with a lot choosing their games for league matches. But surely for Tallaght euro games we took 5k, probably more, that has to be from a floating (will go occasionally) fan base.

Below is from foot.ie and records all averages when fans at games, the 2775 figure is for 2019, the 2,808 is this year, granted highest was in 2015 (avg of 3,158) but that has to be from a higher floating total.

Dundalk - 2,808 (2,775; 2,738; 2,674; 2,738; 3,158; 2,534)

I suppose those if you add all of above up, the avg is just under 3k, prob 2,800 and that's a more accurate figure. I often wonder if we had better facilities, more covered seating, toilets, would that increase crowds or is there just not the extra scope to attract say 500 more?

Maybe increased away fans would go, hard to know really.
Last edited by mike on Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 738
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by Richie87 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:44 pm

Better facilities bound to attract some more fans. Plenty of away fans said Dundalk have the worst facilities in the League,for away supporters.

Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:08 pm

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by Midfield11 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:47 pm

mike wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:32 pm I'd still around 3500 Niall, with a lot choosing their games for league matches. But surely for Tallaght euro games we took 5k, probably more, that has to be from a floating (will go occasionally) fan base.

Below is from foot.ie and records all averages when fans at games, the 2775 figure is for 2019, the 2,808 is this year, granted highest was in 2015 (avg of 3,158) but that has to be from a higher floating total.

Dundalk - 2,808 (2,775; 2,738; 2,674; 2,738; 3,158; 2,534)

I suppose those if you add all of above up, the avg is just under 3k, prob 2,800 and that's a more accurate figure. I often wonder if we had better facilities, more covered seating, toilets, would that increase crowds or is there just not the extra scope to attract say 500 more?

Maybe increased away fans would go, hard to know really.
I know I drove up to the ucd game with the kids and parked on the Ecco road, waited 10 mins but with the heavy rain I had to head home and watch it on loi tv. I know a good few that did the same. Thank god Friday nights over the years seem to dodge the rain.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7537
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:40 pm

Richie87 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:44 pm Better facilities bound to attract some more fans. Plenty of away fans said Dundalk have the worst facilities in the League,for away supporters.
They didn't stand behind the goals in Tolka park in the pouring rain earlier in the season so..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 8200
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by mike » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:12 pm

Figures updated on page one, DFC reported 2,856 on Friday v Derry which is over 700 less than the opening night also v Derry, about the same less v first Rovers game, and over 500 less than the second Rovers game, the one Benson scored 1-0.

Although I don't see any reason why crowds would be under reported by the club as only Derry pay VAT on gates, I still think some figures are just not correct, and last Friday looked just over 3k to me, maybe its only 150 or so out, but to me this was def a 3k+ game, anyone else think so or have opinions?

Average is now 2,754

User avatar
Dillonman
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5401
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Dundalk

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by Dillonman » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:41 am

mike wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:12 pm Figures updated on page one, DFC reported 2,856 on Friday v Derry which is over 700 less than the opening night also v Derry, about the same less v first Rovers game, and over 500 less than the second Rovers game, the one Benson scored 1-0.

Although I don't see any reason why crowds would be under reported by the club as only Derry pay VAT on gates, I still think some figures are just not correct, and last Friday looked just over 3k to me, maybe its only 150 or so out, but to me this was def a 3k+ game, anyone else think so or have opinions?

Average is now 2,754
to add to this, my ticket wouldn't scan when entering on Friday, was told just to go in!
Drogs are scum!

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7537
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:08 am

mike wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:12 pm Figures updated on page one, DFC reported 2,856 on Friday v Derry which is over 700 less than the opening night also v Derry, about the same less v first Rovers game, and over 500 less than the second Rovers game, the one Benson scored 1-0.

Although I don't see any reason why crowds would be under reported by the club as only Derry pay VAT on gates, I still think some figures are just not correct, and last Friday looked just over 3k to me, maybe its only 150 or so out, but to me this was def a 3k+ game, anyone else think so or have opinions?

Average is now 2,754
To be fair mike the attendance was poor either way. I said 2800 before it was announced. Stand wasn't full, shed wasn't. Its peak holiday time for families and to put it mildly until we have a decent stadium people who are on the fence just won't go.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 8200
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by mike » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:40 am

Well that's true on holidays a good few around me also way Niall.

But look at any photos from the open seating town side of the stand, away support, front of stand, even a good bit behind the goal, and most of the shed, all seems like a 3k to me. Plus Dillonman is just one of many I would think who's ticket didn't scan, a good few others also told me same.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by Pepsi » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:59 pm

Remember working a local hotel and disco years ago ..... every second guest Fridays would not be hammered into the till at the door..... went towards people who were not on the books and ensured there was enough cash to put in envelopes for lads who deserved it ;)
I am sure there are plenty of lads up in Oriel that deserve a wee something every now and then for their time and hard work on match nights.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Attendances 2022

Post by oldfogey » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:20 pm

Pepsi wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:59 pm Remember working a local hotel and disco years ago ..... every second guest Fridays would not be hammered into the till at the door..... went towards people who were not on the books and ensured there was enough cash to put in envelopes for lads who deserved it ;)
I am sure there are plenty of lads up in Oriel that deserve a wee something every now and then for their time and hard work on match nights.
As a longstanding UNPAID match night volunteer I find your libellous scattergun comments deeply insulting.

Post Reply