St Patrick's Athletic v Dundalk | League Round 9 | Fri 8 April 2022 ko 19.45 | RTE 2

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: St Patrick's Athletic v Dundalk | League Round 9 | Fri 8 April 2022 ko 19.45 | RTE 2

Post by White Horse » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:53 pm

Pats won the vast majority of 50:50 challenges and breaking balls, while we looked sluggish and light. There is a lack of creativity in the side, ball control is poor and passing is slow. Still, we are well organised and difficult to beat. Pats resorted to hoofing long balls up the channels and trying to expose our full backs. Overall, a poor game. I'm not sure there is more to come from this collection of players. The squad needs more quality.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: St Patrick's Athletic v Dundalk | League Round 9 | Fri 8 April 2022 ko 19.45 | RTE 2

Post by oldfogey » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:32 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:57 pm
oldfogey wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:50 pm Just noticed Skip blanked Alan Mathews as he walked past him to shake hands with Tim Clancy. Obviously some history there.
Yea saw that. Refused to shake his hand, matthews looked shocked and words were exchanged.
https://twitter.com/betweenstripes/stat ... -Y_WA&s=19

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:09 am

Draws away to Pats aren't the problem. Drawing against Bohs, Shels and losing against Shelbyville is. Those extra points would have us a point off the top after the first round of games.

O'Donnell has made us difficult to beat which was a challenge, however he now has a second and arguably greater challenge in developing our attacking capabilities as we're toothless up front and far too static.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:27 am

O Donnell doesn't have a player like Chris Forrester who was a big part of his success at Pats.
Dundalk are playing a lot of sideways passing, and too slow to cut teams open.
Obviously a lot of creativity gone in McEleney, Duffy,Patching and the goals from midfield by Sean Murray.

Bradley has done well but he's only on loan. He will have to be replaced next season.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:20 pm

southerncomfort
Reserves
Reserves

Post by southerncomfort » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:02 pm

everyone that pushed for and wanted sod ( agents , fans , certain journos ) will thankfully be reluctant to criticize their own opinion
a little bit concerned what might happen if we have a real blip and that dam breaks , , this is our managers 3rd year of any type of managment / coaching - hopfully theres enough in the coaching staff to fix obvious play pattern issues . we should take it easy though , we got what we called for

DanielSexton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DanielSexton » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:51 pm

We’re two points off the guaranteed European spot after Series 1 and only one defeat. A position we were never in last season under any of our three managers. No sign of the regular beatings we got last spring or summer. Loads of room for improvement but Skip has bought himself plenty of time already in my eyes.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:03 am

It says more about the standard of the League. Sligo have been stuttering after a decent start . They should be beating UCD at home.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:24 am

southerncomfort wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:02 pm everyone that pushed for and wanted sod ( agents , fans , certain journos ) will thankfully be reluctant to criticize their own opinion
a little bit concerned what might happen if we have a real blip and that dam breaks , , this is our managers 3rd year of any type of managment / coaching - hopfully theres enough in the coaching staff to fix obvious play pattern issues . we should take it easy though , we got what we called for
I was wondering why people would be panicking... but then I looked at who the poster was.....

To be honest, how the season is going is what we should have expected. Its a near brand new team, and I am happy (if rueful for points dropped) with the base that has been developed. The make or break for O'Donnell now will be how he addresses the issues during the season and in the transfer market.

Connolly, Sheppard and Macari are new and look decent. Bradley as well. We are keeping clean sheet with ease now. Benson is as always a class act.

Midfield is the issue, with creativity the big problem. Dan Kelly is no footballer. There is gaps in the team, but you would expect it with such a huge turnaround. Only one loss against the league is pretty decent to build on. It feels like the squad is only 2 players away from competing at the very top. You could win a league with that defence. Realistically, Dundalk have no right to be the perennial champions and not everything happens as fast with Kenny. It will take time.
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:52 pm

superman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:24 am
southerncomfort wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:02 pm everyone that pushed for and wanted sod ( agents , fans , certain journos ) will thankfully be reluctant to criticize their own opinion
I was wondering why people would be panicking... but then I looked at who the poster was.....

To be honest, how the season is going is what we should have expected. Its a near brand new team, and I am happy (if rueful for points dropped) with the base that has been developed. The make or break for O'Donnell now will be how he addresses the issues during the season and in the transfer market.

Connolly, Sheppard and Macari are new and look decent. Bradley as well. We are keeping clean sheet with ease now. Benson is as always a class act.

Midfield is the issue, with creativity the big problem. Dan Kelly is no footballer. There is gaps in the team, but you would expect it with such a huge turnaround. Only one loss against the league is pretty decent to build on. It feels like the squad is only 2 players away from competing at the very top. You could win a league with that defence. Realistically, Dundalk have no right to be the perennial champions and not everything happens as fast with Kenny. It will take time.
Nobody is panicking, all of his posts start with that passive aggressive nonsense and trying to imply that the only reason people aren't complaining as they wanted O'Donnell in. The reality is much different. The club is in a fantastic place on and off the field. We are less than six months in to a long term project and fans have bought in to this.

I'd certainly agree with you on the creativity part, we're not getting close to what we should be from Hoban through lack of service and not playing to his strengths. He has to come deep which wouldn't be a problem if we had someone playing off him, John Martin maybe? I'd like to see us play a midfield of Ward, Benson and Williams against some of the weaker teams as I feel we could really break teams down. If we need a bit more steel in midfield, move Benson out on to one of the wings as he has the intelligence, pace and skill to play there and play Sloggett in the centre. I think Bone would do a job there too.

I'd also agree we're not a million miles off competing at the very top. We've played all 9 teams now and Pats were the only team I felt truly deserved to beat us and even at that they struggled to break us down. StatSports and O'Donnell seem to have good contacts across the water, a couple of shrewd signings could make a world of difference in the run in and 4th is very much achievable. Bohs are struggling and Sligo seem to be hitting a slump. If we were to beat them on Friday this might knock them further in to freefall.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:51 pm

Horgan is out of contract at the end of June https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/daryl-h ... ler/178139

They probaly have him eyed up, I doubt many other clubs in the Uk will be in for him. Though Derry City would probaly put in a offer, if they want

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:50 am

Richie87 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:51 pm Horgan is out of contract at the end of June https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/daryl-h ... ler/178139

They probaly have him eyed up, I doubt many other clubs in the Uk will be in for him. Though Derry City would probaly put in a offer, if they want
You would like to think that - in the same way McEleney & Duffy had ties to Derry - Daryl would be thinking about Dundalk first. Having said that, it's 6 years since he went to England, so he's not the player he was then. Look at all the hype about Richie Towell coming home. I'm not being unfair in saying he's not exactly setting the world on fire.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:15 pm

Yeah he's not the player he was ,though has featured a bit for Ireland. Towell was never near an Ireland Squad during his time in the UK.
I don't see Horgan getting back in the Ireland Squad, the likes of Ogbene have a lot more to offer.

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by shedboy4life » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:24 pm

I think it’s fair to say Horgans Ireland days are over with Kenny blooding younger players. A move back home wouldn’t be his worst choice IMO.
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:00 pm

Horgans wages are around 4,400 english pounds a week. He is only 28. I am sure if he anyway near the same contract in England, he would stay.

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-be ... wanderers/
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903