FAI Cup 2022

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:33 am

For those people who like to keep an eye out for giant killers, the draw for the Preliminary Round of this years FAI Cup was made yesterday. The winners of the six ties - along with the seven teams who received byes - will join the Premier & First Division sides in the 1st round. Ties to be played on the weekend of 22/24 April. 1st round is scheduled for the last weekend in July.

FAI CUP PRELIMINARY ROUND
Usher Celtic v St Francis
Bluebell United v Rockmount
Villa FC v Inchicore Athletic
Killester Donnycarney v Carrigaline United
Liffey Wanderers v Salthill Devon
Pike Rovers v Everton AFC

BYES
Maynooth University Town
Bonagee United
Oliver Bond Celtic
Cockhill Celtic
Bangor GG FC
Malahide United
Lucan United

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:32 pm

The draw for the 1st Round proper takes place tomorrow (Tuesday) at 12.55. Ties to be played weekend of 31st July (Bank Holiday weekend). Link below to watch live. The FAI may have gone all UEFA with a marker/school name tags and some unopenable mini footballs. If not, we look like being ping pong ball #12.

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/15 ... MTQEA&s=19

Athlone Town
Bangor GG FC
Bluebell United
Bohemians
Bonagee United (Letterkenny)
Bray Wanderers
Cobh Ramblers
Cockhill Celtic (Buncrana)
Cork City
Derry City
Drogheda United
Dundalk
Finn Harps
Galway Utd
Killester Donnycarney
Longford Town
Lucan United
Malahide United
Maynooth University Town
Oliver Bond Celtic
Pike Rovers (Limerick)
Salthill Devon (Galway)
St Patrick's Athletic
Shamrock Rovers
Shelbourne
Sligo Rovers
Treaty United
UCD
Usher Celtic
Villa FC (Waterford)
Waterford
Wexford
Last edited by oldfogey on Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:05 pm

Official confirmation of the draw numbers. After all these years no-one at the FAI has worked out that St. is an abbreviation for Saint.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/15 ... QCN9A&s=19

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:08 am

Not trying to double guess the club here, but RTE are listing the draw for 12 noon.

I don't know which is right, but better safe than sorry.

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3138
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by seand » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:23 am

oldfogey wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:05 pm Official confirmation of the draw numbers. After all these years no-one at the FAI has worked out that St. is an abbreviation for Saint.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/15 ... QCN9A&s=19
Ha, good spot oldfogey, and a real pet peeve of mine! Saint Patrick's Atheltic are before Sligo and Shamrock Rovers in alphasbetical order, even when abbreviated to St !!

Given that we're not in Europe this season I should be watching this one with baited breath, hoping for a novelty non-league away trip, but I'm out of the country for the first round, so a handy home tie and then a new non-league team that will host the game themselves in the second round please!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:32 am

Latest from the FAI now. Why not get it right first time.

12 noon - U21 EURO Playoff draw from UEFA
12.30 - FAI Women's Cup 1st Round draw
12.50 - FAI Men's Cup 1st Round draw.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/15 ... iMw6Q&s=19

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:37 am

seand wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:23 am
oldfogey wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:05 pm Official confirmation of the draw numbers. After all these years no-one at the FAI has worked out that St. is an abbreviation for Saint.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/15 ... QCN9A&s=19
Ha, good spot oldfogey, and a real pet peeve of mine! Saint Patrick's Atheltic are before Sligo and Shamrock Rovers in alphasbetical order, even when abbreviated to St !!

Given that we're not in Europe this season I should be watching this one with baited breath, hoping for a novelty non-league away trip, but I'm out of the country for the first round, so a handy home tie and then a new non-league team that will host the game themselves in the second round please!
Certainly don't want an away game down the country on the Bank Holiday Friday!

Europe will come into play here as R2 L2 is that week, and we know Pat's will definitely be involved. Cup games involving anyone still in Europe may not get listed until after the first leg of R2.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:15 pm

Drawn at home to Longford Town
Cork derby - Cobh v Cork
1 all PD Clash - Finn Harps v Bohs
4 all non-league ties, so 4 will make the next round.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:19 pm

Full draw

Cobh Ramblers v Cork City
Treaty United v Usher Celtic
Salthill Devon v Malahide Utd
Sligo Rovers v Wexford
Dundalk v Longford Town
Lucan Utd v Killester Donnycarney
Bonagee v Pike Rovers
Derry City v Oliver Bond Celtic
UCD v Cockhill Celtic
Drogheda Utd v Athlone Town
St Patricks Ath v Waterford
Finn harps v Bohemians
Bray Wanderers v Shelbourne
Bangor GGFC v Shamrock Rovers
Bluebell Utd v Galway Utd
Maynooth Univ Town v Villa FC

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3138
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by seand » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:50 pm

I'd settle for that. Last 16 is going to have plenty of dross in there but all the big guns should be safely through. The Euro teams Rovers, Pats, Derry, Sligo all have handy enough games that they can play the reserves without compromising their Euro ties.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:36 pm

Updated

2nd Round draw on Tuesday at 12.30, which, to the best of my knowledge, is the same day as the draw for the playoff round of UEFA club competitions. Talk about the left hand not knowing the right hand is stuck up your own aesr. Draw(FAI Cup) is live on the FAIs YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/AEkWtU1nn5A

4 non-league and 5 FD sides left.

1 - Bohemians
2 - Bonagee United
3 - Cork City
4 - Derry City
5 - Drogheda Utd
6 - Dundalk
7 - Galway Utd
8 - Lucan Utd
9 - Malahide Utd
10 - Maynooth Univ Town
11 - Shamrock Rovers
12 - Shelbourne
13 - Treaty United
14 - UCD
15 - Waterford
16 - Wexford

Whatever happens, there will be at least 1 First Division or Non-League side in the quarterfinal.
Last edited by oldfogey on Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 738
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by Richie87 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:00 pm

Sligo gone to extra time with Wexford
Pats beaten earlier . Junior and Patterson a cut above the first Division.

User avatar
Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 543
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Dundalk

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by Towelie » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:37 pm

Sligo and Pats eliminated at the first hurdle. For any geeks on the forum that means we have a 37.5% chance of drawing a PD club in the next round.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:39 pm

Towelie wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:37 pm Sligo and Pats eliminated at the first hurdle. For any geeks on the forum that means we have a 37.5% chance of drawing a PD club in the next round.
I would never admit - publicly - to being a geek, but I believe it's 40% (6 out of 15). Or maybe I'm not a geek, and I'm wrong.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: FAI Cup 2022

Post by oldfogey » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:18 pm

seand wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:50 pm I'd settle for that. Last 16 is going to have plenty of dross in there but all the big guns should be safely through. The Euro teams Rovers, Pats, Derry, Sligo all have handy enough games that they can play the reserves without compromising their Euro ties.
Absolutely no disrespect to your good self, but this has aged well.

Post Reply