Grounds Development.

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Tue May 24, 2022 9:01 pm

Who are those guys 👎👎👎

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2720
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by oldfogey » Thu May 26, 2022 4:41 pm

I see the Joe's Park is up for sale, claiming to have "potential" for 61 units, as distinct from actual planning approval. This site was refused planning permission in the past, so it may well be that they are trying to bump up the price ahead of discussions with the club. For those too young to remember, the Joe's is the field immediately behind the wall at the town end of the ground, and once had one of the best playing surfaces in the town. There is an overgrown access road running along the wall leading to the CIE yard on the Ardee Road. Without possession of that, the field has little use in terms of ground expansion/redevelopment.

https://twitter.com/argusnews/status/15 ... HuBGw&s=19

User avatar
Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:40 pm
Location: Co Wexford

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by Wexford White » Thu May 26, 2022 10:21 pm

"discussions with the club."
Do you think the club would have an interest in this?
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2720
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by oldfogey » Fri May 27, 2022 12:03 am

Wexford White wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:21 pm "discussions with the club."
Do you think the club would have an interest in this?
The existing footprint leaves little room for decent upgrade. The area to west is blocked by the council owned pathway to the area known as the ferry glen. Nothing will happen to the south other than incorporating the YDC. I believe the tarmac area outside the stand is common ground with the houses on the Carrick Road. That just leaves the town end for expansion. On the other hand, there might not be any connection all. There is a lot to be said for developing a green field site, and keeping Oriel Park for the Academy sides.

User avatar
Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:40 pm
Location: Co Wexford

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by Wexford White » Fri May 27, 2022 12:27 am

Does the club own the practice area at the Carrick Road end?
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 8200
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by mike » Fri May 27, 2022 10:55 am

Almost sure that area is owned by Grammar School, but once owned by DFC and sold amidst a previous financial crisis in the 90's. GS have an arrangement that DFC can use it for training (for away games - apart from Derry)

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by Pepsi » Fri May 27, 2022 10:57 am

oldfogey wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:03 am
Wexford White wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:21 pm "discussions with the club."
Do you think the club would have an interest in this?
The existing footprint leaves little room for decent upgrade. The area to west is blocked by the council owned pathway to the area known as the ferry glen. Nothing will happen to the south other than incorporating the YDC. I believe the tarmac area outside the stand is common ground with the houses on the Carrick Road. That just leaves the town end for expansion. On the other hand, there might not be any connection all. There is a lot to be said for developing a green field site, and keeping Oriel Park for the Academy sides.
Finally someone saying it as it is! Very refreshing, instead of some of the Oriel dreams we see here. Andy and Paul looked at a greenfield solution prior to selling for a reason ......

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by Pepsi » Fri May 27, 2022 10:59 am

mike wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:55 am Almost sure that area is owned by Grammar School, but once owned by DFC and sold amidst a previous financial crisis in the 90's. GS have an arrangement that DFC can use it for training (for away games - apart from Derry)
This is correct, not sure about the arrangement side of things, however the ground is owned by the Grammar. They tried getting planning permission for it not so long ago, to finance the ground project they are planning themselves.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2720
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by oldfogey » Fri May 27, 2022 11:03 am

Wexford White wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:27 am Does the club own the practice area at the Carrick Road end?
The grammar school has owned that for a long time., hence the name. I'm not sure if there is an official "peppercorn" lease agreement, but the club were allowed to use it on the basis that they maintained it, and marked it up for school sports day. To be fair, Harry kept the surface in better condition that a lot of LOI grounds. His language when Stephen Kenny had the players doing shuttles on it either during or after heavy rain was not for the faint hearted. The school also had use of Oriel Park when necessary. There was some talk (I think) about them trying to get planning permission for the plot but I believe that was shot down as well. Something I think about selling so they could buy land adjacent to the school in the area between Hill Street Bridge and the Bus Eireann depot. As referenced earlier, the "Grammar Pitch" is bounded by either council land, or the back gardens of houses on the Carrick Road and Willow Grove.

On the other hand, the club play their cards very close to their chest. They may already have done a deal, although it's hard to keep a secret in this town.

For me, the plot to go after is the one owned by Iarnrod Eireann between the YDC and the Ardee Road (entrance is beside the petrol station). Adding that and the Joe's would make an ideal campus.
Last edited by oldfogey on Fri May 27, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2720
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by oldfogey » Fri May 27, 2022 11:09 am

Pepsi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:59 am
mike wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:55 am Almost sure that area is owned by Grammar School, but once owned by DFC and sold amidst a previous financial crisis in the 90's. GS have an arrangement that DFC can use it for training (for away games - apart from Derry)
This is correct, not sure about the arrangement side of things, however the ground is owned by the Grammar. They tried getting planning permission for it not so long ago, to finance the ground project they are planning themselves.
Apologies Pepsi, you were obviously posting while I was busy writing a chapter for another Gavin book! Never say in 500 words what you can say in 40!

Mileurista
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 27, 2022 12:19 pm

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by Mileurista » Fri May 27, 2022 12:40 pm

Listing of the land for sale on the auctioneers website https://www.commercial-listings.cbre.ie ... iew=isSale

Interesting to see the property directly beside Top Oil petrol station is included in the sale. Guessing this will be needed to provide access if this was to be developed for residential use.

With the current planning / health & safety requirements I'm not sure there is a lot that can be done with Oriel Park without incurring a significantly higher cost and when this is compared to a greenfield site it doesn't make economical sense.

It's a shame our success from Europe went on the playing budget rather than infrastructure but as is life.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:14 pm

I see South Dublin Co. Council are developing Tallaght Stadium further , by building a stand behind the goal. It’s costing 12 million euro & will bring capacity from 8,000 to 10, 000. Hoping L.C.C will get hold of the blue print & do the same in Oriel . 👍

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7539
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:25 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:14 pm I see South Dublin Co. Council are developing Tallaght Stadium further , by building a stand behind the goal. It’s costing 12 million euro & will bring capacity from 8,000 to 10, 000. Hoping L.C.C will get hold of the blue print & do the same in Oriel . 👍
This is seriously old news.. did you emigrate? Just accept that DUDC, and LCC and any owners of DFC will not invest the required sums either individually or collectively to bring oriel park up to the required standards.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:51 pm

We need to lobby the L.C.C.

User avatar
White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1729
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:57 am

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by White Horse » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:49 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:51 pm We need to lobby the L.C.C.
LCC needs to be dissolved.

Post Reply