International colours

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

International colours

Post by Wexford White » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:28 pm

Can anybody explain the rationale behind the national colours? Last night's game was like watching Wolves v Chelsea. Ireland and Ukraine's colours contrast greatly, so why did either of them have to change? And who decides on the colours? Is there some fashion expert in the ranks of the FAI?
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: International colours

Post by oldfogey » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:12 am

Wexford White wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:28 pm Can anybody explain the rationale behind the national colours? Last night's game was like watching Wolves v Chelsea. Ireland and Ukraine's colours contrast greatly, so why did either of them have to change? And who decides on the colours? Is there some fashion expert in the ranks of the FAI?
It's all about money. The FAI signed a deal with Umbro worth millions over a period. Lots of clauses about how often the home and away kits are changed during the contract and - probably - how often they need to be worn, subject as always to referee's decision on the day. The design itself would be by agreement between the 2 parties. I was surprised by the return of the orange kit, given it's predecessor's relegation to the u21s following a very negative reception, and poor result in its first outing in (I think) Macedonia.

I was with the supporters club in London at the time, and the reaction was positively hostile. The fans were just not ready for a kit with orange.