Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk | League Round 28 | Sun 21 August 2022 ko 19.00

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk | League Round 28 | Sun 21 August 2022 ko 19.00

Post by Louth4sam » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:07 pm

Thought we played very well but centre backs were very poor for three very similar goals. 66% possession 17 goalscoring chances and we lose 3-0. Boyle and Hoban in the team and I think we would have won that game easily.

Lewis was a cracking signing but I feel it was a poor window apart from that. I think we have a good core of players but we need five or six quality players in if we're going to improve.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:09 pm

Need a striker. A quality one and quality in the centre back positions. Robbie benson was very poor tonight imho. We lack a lot of pace in the middle of the defence.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:02 am

I don't think there is many good strikers in the league. Aidan Keena has had a very good season with Sligo, but signed a contract extension. Pat Hoban obviously still very good. McMillan will likely move on at end of the season, so they need a younger pacey striker.

There was better calibre of strikers in the League around 05/06. Glen Crowe, John O Flynn, Jason Byrne, Kevin McCugh, Mark Farren, Kevin Doyle

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:43 am

Aaron Greene hails Mc Manus for keeping Rovers in the game , we missed Hoban & Boyle big time . Rovers have a very tough run in , so it’s back on the horse & take one game at a time .Cmon the Town . 👍

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:31 pm

I admire SOD’s tactics but have we the defenders to make them work?
Playing such a high line gives us plenty of good possession in the opposition half. We created a number of good opportunities, Mannus pulled off some good saves and Cleary went down very easily for Martin’s goal.
However, playing this high line is ok if you have the likes of Kyle Walker or Van Dyk who have pace to burn. Post game comments from rovers are that they targeted our high line and lack of pace. They passed MF by and launched it in behind. Connolly a big loss here as even though he doesn’t have bags of pace, his positioning is second none.
So the question for me is, if we are to continue these tactics in the future, do we need to get fast defenders who can get back and cover?

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:46 pm

Derry went for this approach in oriel also . We have no speed in defence. Wr had Boyle that night but Derry tried to go between our cbs pulling them apart. Bone always appears to get drawn far too wide at times imho and had absolutely zero pace was letting balls go all night instead of going for them.it is clear McCourt had even less pace judging on the first goal and his attempted scissors hack down. If macari is a natural cb then play him there albeit it he is a tad short for a cb but play him there play mountney on the right and drop Bone imho.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Towelie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:37 pm

I'd keep Bone for now because before last night he rarely put a foot wrong and carries the ball well. We probably missed Boyle more than Hoban last night, was very disappointed by McCourt but it's too early to run the rule over a player after 1 and a bit games.

Young players often change positions at the start of their career and it can be the making of them. Macari is a very promising full-back, as we all know however I'm not sure about centre half.

TrevDaRev2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by TrevDaRev2 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:46 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:46 pm Derry went for this approach in oriel also . We have no speed in defence. Wr had Boyle that night but Derry tried to go between our cbs pulling them apart. Bone always appears to get drawn far too wide at times imho and had absolutely zero pace was letting balls go all night instead of going for them.it is clear McCourt had even less pace judging on the first goal and his attempted scissors hack down. If macari is a natural cb then play him there albeit it he is a tad short for a cb but play him there play mountney on the right and drop Bone imho.
A number of teams, Drogheda being one, have been happy for us to have the lions share of possession and we play in front of them. The high line played yesterday was tactically naive in my opinion for the reasons you say Niall you need defenders that are able to recover well. We don't see to have a plan when teams opt to play deep and compact really struggling to break them down. Hoban on the pitch is a different story he'll get on the end of crosses from deep all day long. We'd 6 shots on target to rovers 7 Mannus had the night of his life. Seems were in the midst of a crisis that was in a way foreseeable McCourt was a panic buy and Bone started the season in DM. Really don't fancy Leahy at CB either. Just hope we've enough luck with us to get europe over the line. O'Donnell has completely overachieved if he does land it

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:19 pm

Towelie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:37 pm I'd keep Bone for now because before last night he rarely put a foot wrong and carries the ball well. We probably missed Boyle more than Hoban last night, was very disappointed by McCourt but it's too early to run the rule over a player after 1 and a bit games.

Young players often change positions at the start of their career and it can be the making of them. Macari is a very promising full-back, as we all know however I'm not sure about centre half.
I like Bone and I hope he's with the club for a while as his versatility is a real asset. However, I think we were in trouble when he was expected to carry a player who didn't appear to be match fit and was rushed in to the team.

I didn't think we would win the league and if we can take any positives from last night it's how well we played against the champions elect. Sort the defence out and strengthen out the squad depth and we could be very decent next year
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

DanielSexton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DanielSexton » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:45 am

I'm someone who just doesn't rate that Shamrock Rovers team at all and it's painful that they're the club that have directly benefited from our implosion. And I think if we had got luckier with injuries and maybe if Connolly had chosen to see out the season with us and save his big bucks move until the close season, then I think we would have won the league with Rovers fixture congestion. Our first choice 11 is every bit as good as Rovers and considering the doomsday stuff we were facing 12 months ago everyone involved deserves a medal.

But to be honest I think we got rope-a-doped on Sunday. They knew how we were going to play, knew what they were doing, and did it without getting out of second gear. The way Skip wants to play football is great but doing that with Sam Bone and an unfit Robbie McCourt who have never played together before as your centre back pairing pushing up to the halfway line set us up to be sucker punched. But then just playing deeper might have ended up with a similar result by different methods so it's hard to know given the players available. We probably lost the match when Hoban got injured and Boyle got his red card in Dalymount.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:27 pm

I agree RVs are no great shakes. They are just lucky the league has regressed in recent seasons. However similar to us under Kenny and Perth, they have an established squad a strong enough squad that only needs minimal replenishment at the end of each season. There is no major upheaval. Plus they now have the financial clout to hoover up the best young talent from within the league. We have gone down the loanee route which will mean significant upheaval and change again next season. Adams, macari Hague Bradley all loan signings who won't be here next season and then the likes of Davy Mc and garts who it would seem unlikely to be here. I don't know what the contract situations of the rest are like, but there is a minimum of 6 players who need to be replaced next season. As you say playing a high line with an untried cb and bone who it transpires that neither of them has pace was a risky move. But we aren't the manager so who are we to complain.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:00 pm

Liam Burt suppose to be joining Rovers next season. Keith Long has benched him as a result.
They might go in for Colm Whelan when he recovers from the cruciate. He was strongly linked with Lincoln but they might have moved onto other options

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:12 pm

I'm not a fan of how exposed we are with loan signings, however it probably will achieve - and more - what the owners and O'Donnell wanted for this season without risking long term contracts. If we make Europe then that in itself makes the club more attractive to new signings. Parent clubs also seem generally pleased with how players are developing which can only help a develop a reputation for Skip. Done properly, you can end up getting a better class of player for the same money. Continuing this year's progress you would hope that we could give the league title a real rattle next year, which then moves the club on to offering longer term deals.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:09 am

We have been exceptional this season . We have secured the very experienced Stevie O Donnell , & that was vital for the future of Dundalk FC . Last weeks game against Rovers was a learning curve . We know now we need to bring in three or four players & sort our defence . Success going forward is built from an air tight defence & Stevie will address that . We can all remember the greats that played at the back , Tommy Mc Connville , Brian , Dermot Keeley , Paddy Dunning , Alan Fox , Con Davey , Jackie Mc Manus , Brian Gartland , Andy Boyle etc. etc . that’s what great teams are made of . I know players of above calibre don’t fall out of trees , but that’s where it starts . Oh . I forgot to mention Richie Blackmore , Alan O Neill , Gary Rodgers & N. Sheppad . 👌👌

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:27 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:09 am We have been exceptional this season . We have secured the very experienced Stevie O Donnell , & that was vital for the future of Dundalk FC . Last weeks game against Rovers was a learning curve . We know now we need to bring in three or four players & sort our defence . Success going forward is built from an air tight defence & Stevie will address that . We can all remember the greats that played at the back , Tommy Mc Connville , Brian , Dermot Keeley , Paddy Dunning , Alan Fox , Con Davey , Jackie Mc Manus , Brian Gartland , Andy Boyle etc. etc . that’s what great teams are made of . I know players of above calibre don’t fall out of trees , but that’s where it starts . Oh . I forgot to mention Richie Blackmore , Alan O Neill , Gary Rodgers & N. Sheppad . 👌👌
Forgetting Martin Lawlor as well