Ground improvements

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ground improvements

Post by oldfogey »

Louth4sam wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:41 am
TrevDaRev2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:28 am
mike wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:48 pm https://www.independent.ie/regionals/lo ... 17892.html

This sounds good news, wonder where they will look to install it.
Gonna be a difficult one you'd imagine, need somewhere with unrestricted view but also covered. Maybe behind the dug-out but say its more likely to be on the shed side.
There was a temporary structure behind the town end goal for European games. Could be an option again.
There are also 2 other major factors
  • Easy access to suitable toilets
  • relatively straightforward access to/from wherever the individuals are entering/exiting the ground
This might be resolved by building something not far from the toilet block at the Carrick end, and allowing people to park under the YDC. The difficulty there is early arrival before the barriers go up behind the goal.

A platform will also mean a defined number of places, instead of the current situation where there is unlimited room. The club might also have to allocate space on the platform for away fan(s). Not sure about other clubs but I seem to recall that Rovers fans always include a wheelchair user.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Ye think it'll be a case of not letting perfect being the enemy of good whatever way you come at it
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

oldfogey wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:23 pm

Gonna be a difficult one you'd imagine, need somewhere with unrestricted view but also covered. Maybe behind the dug-out but say its more likely to be on the shed side.
There was a temporary structure behind the town end goal for European games. Could be an option again.
  • relatively straightforward access to/from wherever the individuals are entering/exiting the ground
This might be resolved by building something not far from the toilet block at the Carrick end, and allowing people to park under the YDC. The difficulty there is early arrival before the barriers go up behind the goal.

A platform will also mean a defined number of places, instead of the current situation where there is unlimited room. The club might also have to allocate space on the platform for away fan(s). Not sure about other clubs but I seem to recall that Rovers fans always include a wheelchair user.
Defined number of places would be norm in most grounds. Hopefully there are enough spaces to satisfy requirments for both home and away fans.

Great to see the club targeting this as it would be high up on my priority list followed by facilities for female supporters.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:29 pm Ye think it'll be a case of not letting perfect being the enemy of good whatever way you come at it
Agree 100%. This is a very welcome stop gap until we can get something permanent.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Louth4sam wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:37 pm
oldfogey wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:23 pm

Defined number of places would be norm in most grounds. Hopefully there are enough spaces to satisfy requirments for both home and away fans.

Great to see the club targeting this as it would be high up on my priority list followed by facilities for female supporters.
Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to see it. I can't believe we have never had an issue with someone getting hit by a ball.
Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White »

mike wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:48 pm https://www.independent.ie/regionals/lo ... 17892.html

This sounds good news, wonder where they will look to install it.
The shed area would be unsuitable for wheelchair users, given that flares are ignited and thrown. Even sports reporters have commented on this. Small wonder that Oriel is regarded as a no go area for TV coverage
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6
tip on
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by tip on »

The lilywhite lounge will be open this season with Gerry Coleman running it. Pints €5 except tuborg €4.50.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

6 pints of Tuborg . The more u drink , the more u save .😊
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

tip on wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:30 am The lilywhite lounge will be open this season with Gerry Coleman running it. Pints €5 except tuborg €4.50.
Fair play to gerry C for putting shoulder to wheel again for his club
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

Cash only bars for the game Friday.

This is absolutely ridiculous and I know for a fact people don't bother with the lilywhite because of this. I'm about 50/50 if I go to the Lilywhite myself if I know I have to go to an ATM to withdraw money.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:51 pm Cash only bars for the game Friday.

This is absolutely ridiculous and I know for a fact people don't bother with the lilywhite because of this. I'm about 50/50 if I go to the Lilywhite myself if I know I have to go to an ATM to withdraw money.
Card payments can be followed ... cash cant!
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

Jeez imagine having to go to a cash machine or get cashback in the shop beside oriel.
I always keep cash on me for small business owners who really appreciate it, and don't have to give the banks a cut of their income for transaction fees
cooney
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cooney »

if you can pay in the merch shop with card, surely you can pay card in the LW simple as
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:27 pm Jeez imagine having to go to a cash machine or get cashback in the shop beside oriel.
I always keep cash on me for small business owners who really appreciate it, and don't have to give the banks a cut of their income for transaction fees
Yes it's an inconvenience to supporters. I travel from Dublin and might get to town after 6, sometimes as late as 7. I have a choice to go straight into Kennedy's or go out of my way to get money to buy a pint in Oriel. Unless I'm meeting people in Oriel I'll usually go for the easier option. If I am thinking like this, you can be sure that many others especially floating fans are thinking the same.

It's also an inconvenience to the club. Someone has to count that money, bag it and then lodge it. I read recently that a card payment is around 50% cheaper for a business than a cash payment.

So yes, lets make it more difficult for fans to spend money, push them to other businesses and then wonder why the place is empty before and after games.
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:28 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:27 pm Jeez imagine having to go to a cash machine or get cashback in the shop beside oriel.
Yes it's an inconvenience to supporters. I travel from Dublin and might get to town after 6, sometimes as late as 7. I have a choice to go straight into Kennedy's or go out of my way to get money to buy a pint in Oriel. Unless I'm meeting people in Oriel I'll usually go for the easier option. If I am thinking like this, you can be sure that many others especially floating fans are thinking the same.

It's also an inconvenience to the club. Someone has to count that money, bag it and then lodge it. I read recently that a card payment is around 50% cheaper for a business than a cash payment.

So yes, lets make it more difficult for fans to spend money, push them to other businesses and then wonder why the place is empty before and after games.
What a tough life you lead. When's the book coming out