Ground improvements

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ground improvements

Post by Louth4sam »

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:00 pm
Louth4sam wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:28 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:27 pm Jeez imagine having to go to a cash machine or get cashback in the shop beside oriel.
I always keep cash on me for small business owners who really appreciate it, and don't have to give the banks a cut of their income for transaction fees
Yes it's an inconvenience to supporters. I travel from Dublin and might get to town after 6, sometimes as late as 7. I have a choice to go straight into Kennedy's or go out of my way to get money to buy a pint in Oriel. Unless I'm meeting people in Oriel I'll usually go for the easier option. If I am thinking like this, you can be sure that many others especially floating fans are thinking the same.

It's also an inconvenience to the club. Someone has to count that money, bag it and then lodge it. I read recently that a card payment is around 50% cheaper for a business than a cash payment.

So yes, lets make it more difficult for fans to spend money, push them to other businesses and then wonder why the place is empty before and after games.
What a tough life you lead. When's the book coming out
Why bother responding if that's the crap you're coming out with.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. »

It would appear that the bars are being run as a concession. Since Gerry only took over the running of the bars during the week, it maybe a case that the bank accounts and associated services aren’t set up yet. Although they could use Evalon or something similar. Alternatively, it might be by choice, which in this day and age is not very customer friendly.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

They should make Oriel a cashless ground and it would speed everything up in bars etc.. Cheaper for the club and in the long term safer as nothing can go missing. Time for the club to move with the times and break old habbits ... if people have cards for an ATM in shops next to Oriel they have no reason not to use cards in Oriel. If there is not alternative people will adapt, just afraid of change in most cases.
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

Pepsi wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:33 pm They should make Oriel a cashless ground and it would speed everything up in bars etc.. Cheaper for the club and in the long term safer as nothing can go missing. Time for the club to move with the times and break old habbits ... if people have cards for an ATM in shops next to Oriel they have no reason not to use cards in Oriel. If there is not alternative people will adapt, just afraid of change in most cases.
What a terrible terrible idea. So a kid can't even go up with a bit of pocket money and buy a bag of crisps or an elderly person who prefers cash can't buy anything. Great way to alienate people.

Thankfully the EU are bringing in laws to prevent ideas like this that affect vulnerable people disproportionately.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:21 pm
Pepsi wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:33 pm They should make Oriel a cashless ground and it would speed everything up in bars etc.. Cheaper for the club and in the long term safer as nothing can go missing. Time for the club to move with the times and break old habbits ... if people have cards for an ATM in shops next to Oriel they have no reason not to use cards in Oriel. If there is not alternative people will adapt, just afraid of change in most cases.
What a terrible terrible idea. So a kid can't even go up with a bit of pocket money and buy a bag of crisps or an elderly person who prefers cash can't buy anything. Great way to alienate people.

Thankfully the EU are bringing in laws to prevent ideas like this that affect vulnerable people disproportionately.
Do you go to the Aviva? It's a cashless venue as is the 3 arena. I reckon the majority of people use cashless means to pay for most goods.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

If people have cash then they should be able to use it. Have both systems in place.

They are looking to keep the cash payments going in the Country.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=458eac2a ... 5kLw&ntb=1
Lilywhites-1903Elite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Lilywhites-1903Elite »

I know some eldery people that don't have card and only use cash.

What are they meant to do if oriel was cashless?

As is the example of kids given pocket money for entry for something in the shop.

Terrible shout..
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Lilywhites-1903Elite wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:43 pm I know some eldery people that don't have card and only use cash.

What are they meant to do if oriel was cashless?

As is the example of kids given pocket money for entry for something in the shop.

Terrible shout..
They go to manned stall or vending type machine in the ground and top up a (club) card for use within the ground. Works around the world .... why shouldnt it work in Ireland?
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:28 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:27 pm Jeez imagine having to go to a cash machine or get cashback in the shop beside oriel.
I always keep cash on me for small business owners who really appreciate it, and don't have to give the banks a cut of their income for transaction fees
Yes it's an inconvenience to supporters. I travel from Dublin and might get to town after 6, sometimes as late as 7. I have a choice to go straight into Kennedy's or go out of my way to get money to buy a pint in Oriel. Unless I'm meeting people in Oriel I'll usually go for the easier option. If I am thinking like this, you can be sure that many others especially floating fans are thinking the same.

It's also an inconvenience to the club. Someone has to count that money, bag it and then lodge it. I read recently that a card payment is around 50% cheaper for a business than a cash payment.

So yes, lets make it more difficult for fans to spend money, push them to other businesses and then wonder why the place is empty before and after games.
I completely get this, and its a fair point LFS is making, often I am jumping off a train at 7pm on a Friday, Kennedys for a quick one, then having to scramble for cash if there are plans for a pint at HT in Oriel or a few after. Plus I will have come from a completely cashless office where I work, so there was no requirement to take cash down in the first place.

That said I do like to have a small bit of cash on me, but often I won't, so the club should be offering both, just doing cash is annoying. There are so many shops I avoid that I know won't do cards, chineses takeways etc, no business should be turning away custom.
Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 »

😂there used to be a sign in the bar saying cash only, barman told me the WiFi is shit and machines won’t work, baby steps in oriel.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Midfield11 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:55 pm
😂there used to be a sign in the bar saying cash only, barman told me the WiFi is shit and machines won’t work, baby steps in oriel.
We all know why it is cash only ... you dont have to be an accountant / tax man to figure that one out. As for WIFI .... new payment systems can run on mobile networks. People need to get out more ... worked in Denmark for a few months and the beggers on the street took card payments, was in London 2 weeks ago and went into a bar which was card only .... robots took the food to the table and ordering was done via a QR code and an app. Not what we are used to ... however it worked and the grub was good.
buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by buster »

With regard to the earlier poster regarding card payments, I'm almost 80 years of age and don't have those facilities.
1.I tried to pay for my season ticket and the cash wasn't accepted.
2.Cash is the currency of the country and should be accepted everywhere.
3.I supportered the club before some of you were born and feel very annoyed by some on here knowalls
AMC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by AMC »

There's room for a reasonable middle ground, the two are not mutually exclusive. Facilitating card transactions is definitely faster and cheaper (less labour intensive) so it should be introduced, but that's not a good reason to go cashless. We should accommodate children and older people who don't have cards or prefer cash. Having worked a retail job where both are accepted, >90% of transactions are by card anyway. So it's not much of an inconvenience to cater to those who prefer cash given what a small minority they would likely represent.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

How did OP look last night? Has it been cleaned up?
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:19 am How did OP look last night? Has it been cleaned up?
Yes it was cleaned up. Still think more bins are required. Which would make patrons more readily interested in bringing their rubbish out with them as opposed to taking it with them.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.