Ground improvements

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Ground improvements

Post by mike »

GC. wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:51 pm Mono stand is 450 capacity. If it cost €100k then at €15 a ticket it would pay for itself after 15 games if at full capacity.
Important to also note, Bohs installed that stand at the cost and knowing it would be pulled down in 3-5 years time when the development kicks in.

Yes the new DP will be funded by Fingal CC, but Bohs had collateral to offer to the table unlike we have for LCC, maybe Rovers too didn't have too much on the table but that;s another story.

It also makes what we done having gone through 2 x EL group stages almost unbelievable, yes yes yes we don't fully own it, but does it prevent a tenant 'for their life' building a state of the art garden shed / BBQ area, decking etc.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

I heard this week that Dundalk were not proactive enough looking for Sports grants to upgrade Oriel . Does anybody know what grants we looked for if any , over the last 20 years . I am not going to even mention up to nearly 10 million won in Europe . Absolutely nothing has been done in last 20 years , bar the YDC . I am still trying to figure what that building is , a covered terrace is what should be on that side of the ( length) ground . Hopefully the new owner has an ambitious plan for the future of Oriel & Dundalk Fc . Stevie states we are in a transitional period & that is 100% understood . Surely it’s time to look to the next 100 years & have a stadium & facilities that we can look forward to going to matches & spending time at , the sky is the limit . If the stadium is there & the team is flying high , winning trophies & playing in Europe , the sky would be the limit . The East coast from Belfast to Dublin is a densely populated area , young people are filling grounds like Richmond , Tolka , Dalymount , to full capacity & Tallaght etc. Cmon The Town . Onwards & upwards .👍
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

No one expects state of the art ground or a magic wand with a new stand built within a season, but we have missed so many chances.

Nothing was preventing roofing both sides of the stand in a L Shape (as not to impede stand view), or a terrace behind town goal built, all lazy excuses, we don't own it, well effectively we do, as the ground rent is not that big, and DFC are responsible for all upkeep.

I still say on any given home game, if its raining, it will take 300-500 off the crowd as for ground going fans not all will fit under stand, and a lot won't want to go shed side.

Also that new wheelchair place, should have actually gone in the corner carrick road - shed side more to think of it, as they have a ramp there for toilets (I think), def one in the away section, could easily have done some sort of roofing over it also. Under the stand behind away dugout was another option.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Drogheda have announced that they have purchased the United Park site from the FAI. Huge for their plans for a new stadium and academy set-up
https://droghedaunited.ie/drogheda-unit ... vers-park/
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Wonder how much their new owners paid, but I think there is a clause still from FAI that a new ground has to be built first still, before it can be sold off.

Good news all the same, pity we can't do a deal with the Casey Group and fully acquire Oriel.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

I remember the ex Chairman of Drogheda saying they were looking at a few locations for a new ground. They will probably sell United park and build a new ground. United Park is surrounded by houses, can't do much development

A good start by the Trivela Group. They did say they were committed to a new ground when they took the reigns.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

There is no way Drogs will stay put, behind both goals for a start is the problem, pitch too small, abs no space to build.

They'll get a fortune for it, but problem is what they will build and buy will also be astronomical in price and will still require heavy grants and more than likely borrowing, but they have made good progress with this for sure getting the ground back.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Well done Drogheada , good luck .👍
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Ye they'll get a fortune for it is right, but they won't have to pay mad money for a new site because it will be zoned for recreational use rather than housing. It's a very smart move on their end. They had a site identified previously on the north side of town i think
Philistine
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Philistine »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/arti ... 0042w514do

Interesting, wonder would similar happen here?
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Philistine wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:26 pm https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/arti ... 0042w514do

Interesting, wonder would similar happen here?
The critical factor here is that there is no "LOIPD" or whatever you might like to call it. The FAI run football, rather than the (current PD clubs), and they set the licensing criteria for senior football. Changing the surface in Oriel Park back to grass is a double whammy. Quite apart from the replacement cost, the club then needs to acquire or rent playing/training facilities for 7 teams.

You have the added problem in that you would have to apply the same criteria to womens football, meaning Athlone would also have to convert their surface.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer we played on grass, it's just that we can't always have what we want.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Can anyone 'enlighten me' and do pardon the pun, what the current situation is with the floodlights in Oriel. The bulbs are all working and it looks just great, at last !

Now are these the new LED ones or just replacements bulbs, also are the actual iconic pylons due to come down next year and replaced by more modern ones, and with the LED lights top part 'box' added?
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

Heard that new changing rooms/toilet facilities planned for the YDC to be shared with Dundalk Cricket Club
Shelveyville
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Shelveyville »

Makes sense
Last edited by Shelveyville on Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

If this is correct where would Dlk Cricket Club be playing, on the oriel pitch or the grass surface owned by DGS ?

Also are these changing rooms going to be for both teams in LOI matches or is this a re-vamp, as I thought the changing rooms were of a good standard already there? (YDC)