Ground improvements

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Ground improvements

Post by mike »

buster wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:21 am With regard to the earlier poster regarding card payments, I'm almost 80 years of age and don't have those facilities.
1.I tried to pay for my season ticket and the cash wasn't accepted.
2.Cash is the currency of the country and should be accepted everywhere.
3.I supportered the club before some of you were born and feel very annoyed by some on here knowalls
Buster, firstly congratulations on your amazing service to DFC as a fan, guessing this must be 70 years + and what commitment that has been sir !

Secondly, I don't think anyone is suggesting card only, the case is being made for the club to accept both card and cash, and I think that's completely fair.

Lastly sorry to hear you have had issues with getting a ST, surely someone in the club could help you on this if you agreed a time with them to call up to the club office and make the purchase.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

mike wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:16 pm
buster wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:21 am With regard to the earlier poster regarding card payments, I'm almost 80 years of age and don't have those facilities.
3.I supportered the club before some of you were born and feel very annoyed by some on here knowalls
Buster, firstly congratulations on your amazing service to DFC as a fan, guessing this must be 70 years + and what commitment that has been sir !

Secondly, I don't think anyone is suggesting card only, the case is being made for the club to accept both card and cash, and I think that's completely fair.

Lastly sorry to hear you have had issues with getting a ST, surely someone in the club could help you on this if you agreed a time with them to call up to the club office and make the purchase.
Have to agree here Mike, my posts were provoking in a hope that someone in the club would see that there has to be a solution found to satisfy every fans needs in Oriel. The simple fact that it is cash only ... why not card only. I know my own grand uncle who would be in Busters age group and a regular in Oriel would be stuck and it is no intention to exclude anyone, like I said my posts were to provoke discussion.

As Niall said, go to the AVIVA and try to buy a drink with cash only ... it is next to impossible. It is the future, however again the question has to be asked .... how much match night income are club loosing out on due to the cash only policy?
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Pepsi wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:06 pm

Have to agree here Mike, my posts were provoking in a hope that someone in the club would see that there has to be a solution found to satisfy every fans needs in Oriel. The simple fact that it is cash only ... why not card only. I know my own grand uncle who would be in Busters age group and a regular in Oriel would be stuck and it is no intention to exclude anyone, like I said my posts were to provoke discussion.

As Niall said, go to the AVIVA and try to buy a drink with cash only ... it is next to impossible. It is the future, however again the question has to be asked .... how much match night income are club loosing out on due to the cash only policy?
Maybe I am in the minority here but I seldom carry cash these days. In fact I rarely carry a wallet at all. I tap my phone for most payments these days. Having said all that, I do believe that all businesses should be offering both as means for payment. Can't really justify excluding one over the other. If the card machine works in the shop it should work in the bar. The wifi being poor is no excuse. If it's poor get a booster. A lot of smaller businesses can use their phone to accept payments .
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:22 pm

Maybe I am in the minority here but I seldom carry cash these days. In fact I rarely carry a wallet at all. I tap my phone for most payments these days. Having said all that, I do believe that all businesses should be offering both as means for payment. Can't really justify excluding one over the other. If the card machine works in the shop it should work in the bar. The wifi being poor is no excuse. If it's poor get a booster. A lot of smaller businesses can use their phone to accept payments .
I think people get lazy,and just use a card all the time when they could use a few coins. Simple things like a pint of milk shouldn't need a card.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Richie87 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:39 pm

I think people get lazy,and just use a card all the time when they could use a few coins. Simple things like a pint of milk shouldn't need a card.
That depends on the person buying, it is all about choice and reaching all potential customers needs. I would be in Nialls club ... phone tap for everything and it is a big reason I go into Oriel to watch a match then leave directly, leaving no extra cash in the club. I seldom have more than €10-20 cash on my person and find it safer that way if I see how some areas of town are developing.
Gearóid Bellew
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Gearóid Bellew »

Richie87 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:39 pm

I got lazy about 25 years ago & stopped spending coins, they used to just go into pint glasses & build up, these days those coins end up as bus money for the children etc.

I do not carry a wallet that has space for coins, just holds cards and a few notes for times I need actual cash, which is mainly just for a pint after a game these days.

I would be guilty of using a card to pay for a pint of milk, do not really see a problem with doing that, I get paid by bank transfer like most people do these days, it was different when pay was handed out in a brown envelope with notes and coins inside, I have to decide to take cash out which I only really do when there is a case that I will actually need to have notes, although I do tend to keep an emergency stash of cash.

I would prefer to see both cash and cards accepted, years ago card payments used to be slow and clunky, making them a genuine inconvenience at a bar, they are very different now so there is no reason not to have card facilities.
tip on
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by tip on »

Bar info for tomorrow!!!!
🍻 The Lilywhite Lounge and the Enda McGuill Suite will both be open at 3.30pm ahead of the Leinster Senior Cup game with Bohemians on Bank Holiday Monday.

💳 Card/tap and pay will be accepted before and after the game but supporters are advised that it’s cash only at halftime.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

tip on wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:42 pm Bar info for tomorrow!!!!
🍻 The Lilywhite Lounge and the Enda McGuill Suite will both be open at 3.30pm ahead of the Leinster Senior Cup game with Bohemians on Bank Holiday Monday.

💳 Card/tap and pay will be accepted before and after the game but supporters are advised that it’s cash only at halftime.
That makes lots of sense .... I give up!
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Pepsi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:23 pm

Surely if Ur doing it, it would make sense to be card only at half time when you need the quick service turnaround!!!
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:54 pm

Surely if Ur doing it, it would make sense to be card only at half time when you need the quick service turnaround!!!
Of course it would .... but kinda says a lot about how the "business" is being run.
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. »

Only if the tills are hooked up to the card reader and feeds the amount through. Otherwise, it is probably quicker with cash.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Pepsi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:53 pm

Of course it would .... but kinda says a lot about how the "business" is being run.
We need to draw a line on this.

The greatest pressure on bar staff is half time because patrons want to get served, drink, and get back out. "Tap" only works if there are no issues with the card. If you have 4 people working behind the bar they each have to have PDQ machines.

We all understand where you are coming from. It's quiet clear your allegiances lie elsewhere and have done so for some time. I get it. That's your prerogative. Boring us with minutiae over the smallest thing is getting repetitive.

Personally, I use my cards quite a lot. I would, however, never be without the ability to pay for something in cash. Payment by card depends on a host of links

• credit card machine functioning
  • no technical problem with the card
  • functioning connection
  • functioning card servers
It's not like we haven't had banking problems in this country.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Ownership of a League of Ireland club does not make you an investor in Irish football.

“Not at all,” one proprietor told The Irish Times. “People expect a return on their investment. There is no financial gain. ‘Investors’ need to care about the club. It very quickly becomes philanthropy.”

And yet, crowds continue to rise at an impressive rate. In 2019, the turnstiles clicked in 375,705 spectators. Last year, attendances soared to 596,196. That’s an average increase of 1,200 fans across 10 Premier Division grounds

Despite new Dundalk FC owner Brian Ainscough describing Oriel Park as a “pigsty” and League of Ireland director Mark Scanlon warning that outdated facilities are impacting on the FAI’s ability to strike lucrative broadcast deals, people still want to spend Friday nights watching their local team. The paying public expect a few basics, such as half-decent fast food, access to beverages, usable female toilets and seats that don’t break on impact. They also want a child-friendly experience and cover from the elements.

Volunteers on the ground are doing what they can. Bohemians, for example, never dipped below 4,000 fans at Dalymount Park last season, despite the Phibsborough venue being reduced to rubble in places as it awaits €50 million in funding from local and central Government to rebuild an 8,000-capacity venue before the 2028 season.

Bohs, a members-owned club, put €100,000 into the Mono Stand, a covered terrace for 450 away supporters that enhances the already healthy gatherings in Dublin 7.

They are not alone.

“A lot of League of Ireland clubs are accused of a lack of ambition,” said Sligo Rovers chairman Tommy Higgins back in 2021. “You can’t depend on anyone else to run your football club.”

Rovers have invested €280,000 in The Showgrounds’ general upkeep since 2019 and received a €211,000 sports-infrastructure grant for floodlights.am.

https://t.co/83eciztkro
Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White »

Simple solution to the cash / card controversy: Free Drink!
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6
AMC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by AMC »

The Mono Stand in Dalymount is the kind of thing we can strive towards, and is actually a realistic project at a €100k cost. It's a relatively small investment and would make quite a big difference to Oriel Park. We could construct a covered stand for the away fans with a similar capacity and hopefully at a similar cost. It's hard to know what the ROI would be but it would certainly boost the away attendance. We could also sell naming rights to the stand to help fund it, so there's reason to believe it would be a relatively economical decision. It would ease some of the pressure around how poor the state of the ground is (particularly the away end) and would tide us over nicely until plans for a full redevelopment are enacted, which I don't see happening in the near future.