Ground improvements

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Ground improvements

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:05 am

I know there was a previous thread somewhere here, but that was about new stands etc
I was collecting my son from the summer camp recently and parents were sitting in the away end. The view isn't as bad as one might assume. However that isn't what's relevant. Yes a roof would do wonders and keep away fans away from the elements.
But the main issue and the easiest fix is the unkempt filthy state of the away end. It is a disgrace and should be a major embarrassment to the club. We may not have the finances to build a new stand or to put a roof over the away end etc but surely to God we can clean it up. The weeds are up to your knees, some of the seats are that low to the ground and damaged that your knees are up to your mouth, and the amount of rubbish thrown in between the wall and the advertising hoarding is surely a fire Hazzard? How hard would it be to tidy all this up and to add a lick of paint to the walls.
Can we not hire people in on CE Schemes to tidy oriel up to make it look a bit respectable even if we can't do significant upgrades, we can at least clean it up a bit.

I noticed whilst we were being kept in after the game last night, that rovers had people cleaning up each row of all three stands last night. And all it took was the time we were held in for. 15-20 mins post match Job done.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
HaylockGizAGoal
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Ground improvements

Post by HaylockGizAGoal » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:59 am

Some weed ok would sort the weeds out and cost about 20e.

Rovers rent the stadium from the council so could be council workers cleaning it? Or perhaps they have to clean it as part of rental deal?

User avatar
HaylockGizAGoal
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Ground improvements

Post by HaylockGizAGoal » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:00 pm

Weedol*

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Ground improvements

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:49 pm

HaylockGizAGoal wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:59 am Some weed ok would sort the weeds out and cost about 20e.

Rovers rent the stadium from the council so could be council workers cleaning it? Or perhaps they have to clean it as part of rental deal?
It's about having a bit of pride in their stadium rented or not . We appear to have none in oriel from fans all the way up to the board and owners.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Dundalk

Re: Ground improvements

Post by Towelie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:09 pm

I know you've mentioned not building stands but I can't help myself. The away end should be bulldozed and a half and half stand behind the carrick road put up. Nothing fancy just a roofed structure to protect folk from the elements.

Also I seen this on YouTube a few weeks ago and the seats in Oriel could do with it
https://youtube.com/shorts/w3rr4St31y0?feature=share

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Ground improvements

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:32 pm

Towelie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:09 pm I know you've mentioned not building stands but I can't help myself. The away end should be bulldozed and a half and half stand behind the carrick road put up. Nothing fancy just a roofed structure to protect folk from the elements.

Also I seen this on YouTube a few weeks ago and the seats in Oriel could do with it
https://youtube.com/shorts/w3rr4St31y0?feature=share
Don't get me wrong we all want major improvements towelie but what hope have we when the club don't appear to even have the pride to tidy up basic jobs such as weeding, cleaning up after games and a lick of paint? A little goes a long way.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Dundalk

Re: Ground improvements

Post by Towelie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:45 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:32 pm
Towelie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:09 pm I know you've mentioned not building stands but I can't help myself. The away end should be bulldozed and a half and half stand behind the carrick road put up. Nothing fancy just a roofed structure to protect folk from the elements.

Also I seen this on YouTube a few weeks ago and the seats in Oriel could do with it
https://youtube.com/shorts/w3rr4St31y0?feature=share
Don't get me wrong we all want major improvements towelie but what hope have we when the club don't appear to even have the pride to tidy up basic jobs such as weeding, cleaning up after games and a lick of paint? A little goes a long way.
Agree with you there, it's disappointing but maybe the supporters club could organize something before the start of next season, say a group volunteers and goes in on a Saturday/Sunday and picks up any rubbish, weed the place, give the walls a lick of paint maybe throw up some flags and displays. The club might pull the finger out then.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Ground improvements

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:02 pm

Towelie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:45 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:32 pm
Towelie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:09 pm I know you've mentioned not building stands but I can't help myself. The away end should be bulldozed and a half and half stand behind the carrick road put up. Nothing fancy just a roofed structure to protect folk from the elements.

Also I seen this on YouTube a few weeks ago and the seats in Oriel could do with it
https://youtube.com/shorts/w3rr4St31y0?feature=share
Don't get me wrong we all want major improvements towelie but what hope have we when the club don't appear to even have the pride to tidy up basic jobs such as weeding, cleaning up after games and a lick of paint? A little goes a long way.
Agree with you there, it's disappointing but maybe the supporters club could organize something before the start of next season, say a group volunteers and goes in on a Saturday/Sunday and picks up any rubbish, weed the place, give the walls a lick of paint maybe throw up some flags and displays. The club might pull the finger out then.
You see then it is being left to supporters yet again, and that will happen as a one off. The weeding and tidying up post match should be a regular fixture not a pre season supporters endeavour.
If I was not going up to oriel all my life, to be honest I would have been put off by what I witnessed waiting to collect my son from the summer camp. It wouldn't encourage new fans or families to come and support the club. The image you put out is key to attracting and maintaining fans. Yes it may well have been the away end, but for a lot of parents it may well have been their first experience of the facilities within oriel park.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
HaylockGizAGoal
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Ground improvements

Post by HaylockGizAGoal » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:32 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:32 pm
Towelie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:09 pm I know you've mentioned not building stands but I can't help myself. The away end should be bulldozed and a half and half stand behind the carrick road put up. Nothing fancy just a roofed structure to protect folk from the elements.

Also I seen this on YouTube a few weeks ago and the seats in Oriel could do with it
https://youtube.com/shorts/w3rr4St31y0?feature=share
Don't get me wrong we all want major improvements towelie but what hope have we when the club don't appear to even have the pride to tidy up basic jobs such as weeding, cleaning up after games and a lick of paint? A little goes a long way.

‘The club’ - some people cute this as if it’s the nanny state ‘government’. The truth is we are hurting after years of bad running and money haemorrhaging and have a bare-bones operation compared to years gone by. With the end of season in sight, it’s unlikely to be fixed this year. If we get Europe, perhaps we can manage to get someone to look at that. Tbh I do think bulldozing it and putting in a more functional building would go a long way, but if we didn’t do it when we were flying high I don’t expect much.

And as for taking pride in our club, who would volunteer to go clean the away section while the rovers fans are being held back? I doubt that would be a rewarding experience.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Ground improvements

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:13 pm

HaylockGizAGoal wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:32 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:32 pm
Towelie wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:09 pm I know you've mentioned not building stands but I can't help myself. The away end should be bulldozed and a half and half stand behind the carrick road put up. Nothing fancy just a roofed structure to protect folk from the elements.

Also I seen this on YouTube a few weeks ago and the seats in Oriel could do with it
https://youtube.com/shorts/w3rr4St31y0?feature=share
Don't get me wrong we all want major improvements towelie but what hope have we when the club don't appear to even have the pride to tidy up basic jobs such as weeding, cleaning up after games and a lick of paint? A little goes a long way.

‘The club’ - some people cute this as if it’s the nanny state ‘government’. The truth is we are hurting after years of bad running and money haemorrhaging and have a bare-bones operation compared to years gone by. With the end of season in sight, it’s unlikely to be fixed this year. If we get Europe, perhaps we can manage to get someone to look at that. Tbh I do think bulldozing it and putting in a more functional building would go a long way, but if we didn’t do it when we were flying high I don’t expect much.

And as for taking pride in our club, who would volunteer to go clean the away section while the rovers fans are being held back? I doubt that would be a rewarding experience.
RVs staff did it when we were being held back.. but hey if people keep making up lame excuses as to why it isn't it shouldn't be done, then really the club will say ah you can accept it.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2866
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Ground improvements

Post by oldfogey » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:02 pm

Wow. One defeat and the knives are out. Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. 10 months ago everyone was worried Peak 6 would let us go to the wall. No matter what we have, everyone wants more, and with somebody else's money. It seems that buying a football club just sets you up for abuse by every Tom Dick & Harry that comes crawling out of the woodwork every few months. The Rovers thread is just as bad. Loads of keyboard managers with 20-20 hindsight. Don't bother @ me because it only indicates I've touched a nerve.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Ground improvements

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:25 pm

oldfogey wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:02 pm Wow. One defeat and the knives are out. Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. 10 months ago everyone was worried Peak 6 would let us go to the wall. No matter what we have, everyone wants more, and with somebody else's money. It seems that buying a football club just sets you up for abuse by every Tom Dick & Harry that comes crawling out of the woodwork every few months. The Rovers thread is just as bad. Loads of keyboard managers with 20-20 hindsight. Don't bother @ me because it only indicates I've touched a nerve.
So do you honestly think oriel couldn't do with even the slightest of jobs such as a lick of paint or some weeding? It is dirty and unkempt that is a general observation. Not on about a new stand or a new stadium just a basic and general tidy up of the ground. I don't think that is getting knives out more a general bit of basic housekeeping. A bit of pride in our home ground. Is that too much to ask for in 2022?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2866
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Ground improvements

Post by oldfogey » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:38 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:25 pm
oldfogey wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:02 pm Wow. One defeat and the knives are out. Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. 10 months ago everyone was worried Peak 6 would let us go to the wall. No matter what we have, everyone wants more, and with somebody else's money. It seems that buying a football club just sets you up for abuse by every Tom Dick & Harry that comes crawling out of the woodwork every few months. The Rovers thread is just as bad. Loads of keyboard managers with 20-20 hindsight. Don't bother @ me because it only indicates I've touched a nerve.
So do you honestly think oriel couldn't do with even the slightest of jobs such as a lick of paint or some weeding? It is dirty and unkempt that is a general observation. Not on about a new stand or a new stadium just a basic and general tidy up of the ground. I don't think that is getting knives out more a general bit of basic housekeeping. A bit of pride in our home ground. Is that too much to ask for in 2022?
Jesus Niall, of all the people on here you are the least in my firing line. My anger has been brewing for most of the day, you just happened to post just before I let go.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Ground improvements

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:59 pm

oldfogey wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:38 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:25 pm
oldfogey wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:02 pm Wow. One defeat and the knives are out. Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. 10 months ago everyone was worried Peak 6 would let us go to the wall. No matter what we have, everyone wants more, and with somebody else's money. It seems that buying a football club just sets you up for abuse by every Tom Dick & Harry that comes crawling out of the woodwork every few months. The Rovers thread is just as bad. Loads of keyboard managers with 20-20 hindsight. Don't bother @ me because it only indicates I've touched a nerve.
So do you honestly think oriel couldn't do with even the slightest of jobs such as a lick of paint or some weeding? It is dirty and unkempt that is a general observation. Not on about a new stand or a new stadium just a basic and general tidy up of the ground. I don't think that is getting knives out more a general bit of basic housekeeping. A bit of pride in our home ground. Is that too much to ask for in 2022?
Jesus Niall, of all the people on here you are the least in my firing line. My anger has been brewing for most of the day, you just happened to post just before I let go.
Interesting take, as I recall you were threatening to leave this forum a few weeks ago due to lack of posts and interest from other users

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2866
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Ground improvements

Post by oldfogey » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:16 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:59 pm
oldfogey wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:38 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:25 pm

So do you honestly think oriel couldn't do with even the slightest of jobs such as a lick of paint or some weeding? It is dirty and unkempt that is a general observation. Not on about a new stand or a new stadium just a basic and general tidy up of the ground. I don't think that is getting knives out more a general bit of basic housekeeping. A bit of pride in our home ground. Is that too much to ask for in 2022?
Jesus Niall, of all the people on here you are the least in my firing line. My anger has been brewing for most of the day, you just happened to post just before I let go.
Interesting take, as I recall you were threatening to leave this forum a few weeks ago due to lack of posts and interest from other users
Doesn't really prove anything. There hasn't been a lack of interest so I wasn't placed in a position where I had to go through with what some may have thought was an idle threat.

Now we'll never know.

Post Reply