Waterford FC v Dundalk | FAI Cup QF| Fri 16 September 2022 ko 19.45

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Waterford FC v Dundalk | FAI Cup QF| Fri 16 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by magarnagle » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:30 pm

StephenKennyHero wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 pm Keith Long, a top manager is available. He’s qualified & deserves a chance with a proper budget.

SOD’s tactics have been shocking. A hero as a player but he’s tactically clueless. How does he not see the high line & his comment about growing legs worried me. I hope the younger fans can appreciate how great he was for Dundalk but as a manager he has to go
Off to bed with ya kid

tip on
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by tip on » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:33 pm

StephenKennyHero wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 pm Keith Long, a top manager is available. He’s qualified & deserves a chance with a proper budget.

SOD’s tactics have been shocking. A hero as a player but he’s tactically clueless. How does he not see the high line & his comment about growing legs worried me. I hope the younger fans can appreciate how great he was for Dundalk but as a manager he has to go
Tip on

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:39 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:19 pm Again it’s sticking out a mile what a loss Connolly has been and I don’t think that’s down to SOD. During SK’s early years we splashed out and brought Garts in during the Summer. That team never looked back. The Connolly situation has had the complete opposite effect. Does anybody seriously believe we’d be producing these situations with him in the team?
Only possible silver lining is that with him derry girls win the cup and we get Europe, providing we don’t let a 12 point gap with Sligo slip….
Connolly was a good player but he went asleep at times too. He started off very sluggish at Dundalk and grew into it. His passing was very good, lacked pace though. On his Derry debut he was asleep and let Pat Hoban ghost in the equalizer. They couldn't match what Derry offered.

The players Dundalk did bring in during the July window haven't hit the ground running. Alfie Lewis is a tidy player but is brushed off the ball too easily. Hauge hasn't impressed.
The players Pats brought in during July have gelled in very well. Barry Cotter has been excellen.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:14 am

Richie87 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:39 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:19 pm Again it’s sticking out a mile what a loss Connolly has been and I don’t think that’s down to SOD. During SK’s early years we splashed out and brought Garts in during the Summer. That team never looked back. The Connolly situation has had the complete opposite effect. Does anybody seriously believe we’d be producing these situations with him in the team?
Only possible silver lining is that with him derry girls win the cup and we get Europe, providing we don’t let a 12 point gap with Sligo slip….
Connolly was a good player but he went asleep at times too. He started off very sluggish at Dundalk and grew into it. His passing was very good, lacked pace though. On his Derry debut he was asleep and let Pat Hoban ghost in the equalizer. They couldn't match what Derry offered.

The players Dundalk did bring in during the July window haven't hit the ground running. Alfie Lewis is a tidy player but is brushed off the ball too easily. Hauge hasn't impressed.
The players Pats brought in during July have gelled in very well. Barry Cotter has been excellen.
1 goal Richie . I was delighted he couldn’t cope with Hoban but his positional play covered his lack of pace. The goals we conceded before and after him speak for themselves.
I felt we missed out on Cotter at the time but maybe rovers were never going to loan him to us when we were breathing down their neck in July

TrevDaRev2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by TrevDaRev2 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:28 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:14 am
Richie87 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:39 pm

1 goal Richie . I was delighted he couldn’t cope with Hoban but his positional play covered his lack of pace. The goals we conceded before and after him speak for themselves.
I felt we missed out on Cotter at the time but maybe rovers were never going to loan him to us when we were breathing down their neck in July
Cotter was an opportunity missed but his reputation might have preceded him too and put the club off. Connolly was a general at the back a proper organiser and communicator which did make up for him not being a rocket but could had that knack of being able to read a game in a way you just can’t coach. Could all come down to that 6 point swing between us and Sligo now for 4th. I’ve seen a couple calling for Stevies head on social media tonight but it would be beyond rash to not keep truckin and gather ourselves come the end of the year. Europe was never the expectation at the beginning on the year if you were in anyway realistic about it. Hopefully we get there, but if we don’t it’s not the end of the world. Think Stevie has been tactically naive at times but who am I to really judge. If it weren’t for bad luck with injuries and suspensions we’d have no luck at all. On to Drogs at home where 3 points is a must if we’re to try keep pace with Pats

Gearóid Bellew
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Gearóid Bellew » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:57 am

This is uncalled for, a year ago any one of us would be happy to think that we would be where we are now.

It is a rebuilding exercise, it was going way better than anyone had dared dream, its taken a dip, but we are still better off than we were / probably imagined we would be.

It is a disappointing run, but there is no sense in losing the plot, it is time to steady the ship and get behind the management team and the players.

StephenKennyHero
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by StephenKennyHero » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:31 am

If it was anyone else but SOD we’d be calling for change. Enough

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:11 am

There really needs to be some sort of probation period on here before you can post. Stops clowns like this who probably isn't even a Dundalk fan from signing up and trolling after a bad result.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:46 am

magarnagle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:11 am There really needs to be some sort of probation period on here before you can post. Stops clowns like this who probably isn't even a Dundalk fan from signing up and trolling after a bad result.
If you don't "see" the post you won't reply. Nothing annoys attention-seekers more that being non-existent.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:40 pm

O'Donnell needs to be ruthless or it'll cost him his job. It'll be tough as some lads that I would assume are mates are going to have to be let go. He was late signing players due to preseason this year but no excuses for next year.

Realistically we need to sign maybe four or five defenders, a couple of wingers a center midfielder and a striker. Macari and Bradley both gone unless we get very lucky and we badly need to replace some of the older heads to get some energy and pace in to the team. If we fail to get Europe which is looking more likely, it'll feel like a waste of a season as we are back to the same place we were with another rebuild ahead of us.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:50 pm

Hard to know where we go from here, as soon as Waterford equalised you kind of just got the impression they would go on and win, and they won well in the end, it seems almost any team we are up against lately we have struggled, regardless of their league position or what division they were in.

I can't see us holding on to 3rd, the glimmer of hope is 4 of the last 6 are at home, and that's where the obvious form and results have come from, 10 wins, 4 draws, no defeats, however confidence is low so it's a hard one to predict.

The next likelihood is to finish 4th and hope the winner of Derry v Rovers wins the cup, we need to win 2 more and we probably can't be caught for 4th, possibly 7 points for insurance in case of unlikely GD swing, but again thats hoping for favours in the cup final, only 3rd is the auto euro spot as we know.

Very disappointing though they way things have panned out.

brodser
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by brodser » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:19 pm

I think some of the usual hysterical reactions on here are laughable. The Kenny era is long over. We're just an ordinary team and we have no God given right to win anything these days. We've had a dose of reality this past few weeks. Most posters here in February had very little expectation for the season. Their goal was to avoid a relegation battle and consolidate after the horrors of The Bill Show. We had a ropey start with a lot of draws, hit a good streak mid-season and have fallen away again on the final straight. We've probably over performed based on our budget which is mid-table at best. When you look at the team there's only Hoban and Shepherd who would improve any other team. The rest are bang average. The annoying thing is that Rovers are not much better but just have more strength in depth and resources and any team is capable of beating every other team in the league. I think we'll scramble over the line for a Euro spot but the new owners need to get serious next year or sell it to someone who is if they're not prepared to spend. SOD needs another season.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:01 pm

In fairness there wasn't many owners looking to buy the Club last year . . Derry City have a billionaire owner so can spend big. Shamrock Rovers while they have Dermot Desmond and Ray Wislon involved, are 50 % fan owned also.

Sligo Rovers are fan owned and have a good academy. https://www.sligorovers.com/join-the-50 ... -an-owner/

They have good plans in place for the Showgrounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Z5vBqSawQ

Dundalk are shouting about local TDS not helping, maybe set up a supporters club get serious.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:02 pm

Just under 24 hours later, time to reflect.

We need to back SOD, he needs to be given time to re-build, we all wanted him in, now let's support him. We all (most) said if we got europe this season, it would be a great year, we have two chances left for that.

1/ Win 4 of the last 6 games that are at home, and that probably will get 3rd as that will include beating Pats (tough ask as not sure we can beat anyone at the min but time for improvement).

2/ Win 2 of the last 6 and that almost def confirms 4th, then we want Derry or Rovers to win the cup, I`m thinking Derry would suit more as they'd be more hungry for a trophy, but its entering the looking for favours route.

Losing the cup QF was hard, and it will be harder tomorrow when the semi final draw is made, but I`ll stand by my first thought when he got the job, if we get europe (by any method) its a good season.

Then, we can re-build properly and recruit better quality, a new central defence for a start, and a striker.

if we miss out on europe**, I think we might need to further adjust our hopes, as it could be a while before we get back to where we want to be.

**As a reminder, with the high coefficient, our ranking (8.5) will be enough to get seeded in two rounds, win both and thats up to 750k, win the 3rd round and its just under 1m. So the target is clear.

Confidence is the main worry, but that's the mgt teams job to sort out, maybe no harm no game next week.

That's about the best spin I can give on things, as I am still very disappointed about the cup exit, it was tough spill to swallow, but we are where we are.

southerncomfort
Reserves
Reserves

Post by southerncomfort » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:12 pm

spot on mike, this is sod's third ever season in any type of coaching role , so we always needed to keep our ambitions in check
the real measure will be how he deals with a slump, so it doesn't become a major collapse . it's easy when we're winning
at pat's he had alan mathews , and the likes of brian kerr etc with wisdom after defeats... hopefully we have similar people in the background