2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Post Reply
User avatar
Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Dundalk

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Towelie » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:26 pm


Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:01 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Philistine » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:09 pm

Self-absorbed garbage. If the journalist in question hadn't brought the club into disrepute then there would've been no issue to begin with. You can't report the club is seeking buyers and brush it off as "opinion" once you've been proved wrong. You'd like to think a journalist could learn from this but he actually references doing something quite similar years ago in the same article. Remarkable.

Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Richie87 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:20 pm

It was interesting reading the Sun article about the possible investment from Southampton into Shelbourne,.The numbers didn't add up in terms of what was needed to overhaul Shamrock Rovers and recouping that.

A football insider reckons an outlay of €5m to €6m over two to three years would give you a chance of reining them in but with no guarantee of remaining top of the pile long enough to recover that spend.

Dan Lambert was insistent that having a good ground was important before any investment, to accrue any lasting benefit of a cash injection.

Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:45 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Oriel O'Shea » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:35 pm

Philistine wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:09 pm
Self-absorbed garbage. If the journalist in question hadn't brought the club into disrepute then there would've been no issue to begin with. You can't report the club is seeking buyers and brush it off as "opinion" once you've been proved wrong. You'd like to think a journalist could learn from this but he actually references doing something quite similar years ago in the same article. Remarkable.
Little bit unfair. I don't like the narrative of JR vs the club. Think that article clears his beliefs up and explains the situation of 'putting the club for sale' vs 'seeking investment' well. The end story is the possibility of DFC having another owner of some sort or % looks likely all of a sudden, when it didn't seem to be on the radar before JR's original article last week. JR has got a lot more right then wrong in recent years...

The club is in safe hands that fans trust, extremely safe, compared to Bill. And I don't think any article is designed to or will change that opinion.

Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:01 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Philistine » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:54 pm

Oriel O'Shea wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:35 pm
Philistine wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:09 pm
Self-absorbed garbage. If the journalist in question hadn't brought the club into disrepute then there would've been no issue to begin with. You can't report the club is seeking buyers and brush it off as "opinion" once you've been proved wrong. You'd like to think a journalist could learn from this but he actually references doing something quite similar years ago in the same article. Remarkable.
Little bit unfair. I don't like the narrative of JR vs the club. Think that article clears his beliefs up and explains the situation of 'putting the club for sale' vs 'seeking investment' well. The end story is the possibility of DFC having another owner of some sort or % looks likely all of a sudden, when it didn't seem to be on the radar before JR's original article last week. JR has got a lot more right then wrong in recent years...

That being said the club is in safe hands that fans trust, extremely safe, compared to Bill. And I don't think any article is designed to or will change that opinion.
JR and only JR has created this narrative. Nobody else. If he believed the club "might" be for sale then it would've been best to keep that to himself instead of reporting it in the local media which many (especially on here) take as gospel. A football club looking for additional investment is the norm even at the highest level of the game so there was nothing to see here as far as I'm concerned. An article like this 4/5 weeks before the season does nothing to help anyone especially when it's called out as fictious by the owners.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7691
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:02 am

Lot of new posters posting on this makes you wonder doesn't it 🤔
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2923
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:32 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:02 am Lot of new posters posting on this makes you wonder doesn't it 🤔
You can generally tell which posters are really new and which ones are just pseudonym changes.
Most people have reasonably distinct writing styles. It's usually not that hard to align the discontinued posters with the new ones, especially on some ongoing subject. The really weird ones are those people who have multiple usernames, and dip in and out of dormant ones from time to time.

TrevDaRev2
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 10:12 am

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by TrevDaRev2 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:51 am

Philistine wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:54 pm
Oriel O'Shea wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:35 pm
Philistine wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:09 pm

Self-absorbed garbage. If the journalist in question hadn't brought the club into disrepute then there would've been no issue to begin with. You can't report the club is seeking buyers and brush it off as "opinion" once you've been proved wrong. You'd like to think a journalist could learn from this but he actually references doing something quite similar years ago in the same article. Remarkable.
Little bit unfair. I don't like the narrative of JR vs the club. Think that article clears his beliefs up and explains the situation of 'putting the club for sale' vs 'seeking investment' well. The end story is the possibility of DFC having another owner of some sort or % looks likely all of a sudden, when it didn't seem to be on the radar before JR's original article last week. JR has got a lot more right then wrong in recent years...

That being said the club is in safe hands that fans trust, extremely safe, compared to Bill. And I don't think any article is designed to or will change that opinion.
JR and only JR has created this narrative. Nobody else. If he believed the club "might" be for sale then it would've been best to keep that to himself instead of reporting it in the local media which many (especially on here) take as gospel. A football club looking for additional investment is the norm even at the highest level of the game so there was nothing to see here as far as I'm concerned. An article like this 4/5 weeks before the season does nothing to help anyone especially when it's called out as fictious by the owners.
He wasn't wrong though and its stupid to try present it that he was. I don't know JR but he seems to always be close to right if not on the money and O'Connor confirmed he's seeking outside investment. There's this (childish) mentality within the club that has been there for decades that every journo is out to get us and this filters down to the fans. I think JR is dead right to come out swinging against that with people sayin he's out to get the club. Nonsense. He's doing his job in holding the club to account and has a track record of doing just that. If people wanna take that personally that's their own business but I think some in the club could act their age not their shoe size when dealing with media generally. Control the narrative rather than lettin it control you. Hope investment comes in sooner rather than later instead of this toxic sh1t3 playin out for months on end

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2923
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:09 am

Wow. Just wow.

The owners of any private entity are entitled to keep their counsel, ESPECIALLY when committing their own funds either in terms of cash or a guarantee. I believe that the fans should be offered the chance to buy the club when it next goes up for sale. Then we will see how many are prepared to spend their own money instead of somebody else's.

As for JR, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are NOT a card carrying member of the NUJ. Let me spell it out for you. Journalists get paid for articles printed by newspapers. The more controversial it is, the more it gets referenced and read. Sadly, too many people out there take what JR writes as gospel - not unlike Gerry Malone. He knows this, and uses it to promote his agenda. It's a well used ploy. Print something you know is not true, forcing the other party to give an interview. In this case - as in previous - it backfired.

To paraphrase, the truth can be very boring, and should never be allowed to get in the way of a good story.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Pepsi » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:29 am

The club should learn two things from this:
1. communication is important, something they need to drastically improve on. So far this season they have taken a major step backwards
2. fans care

User avatar
Lilywhite29
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:13 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Lilywhite29 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:19 pm

Sam Caiger , ex West Ham, confirmed as the trialist by NN in this mornings Democrat .. Theres even quotes from SOD on him who says he's had some injuries in the past .
They also report the club had no clue that Adeboyega was heading to Drogheda . SOD quoted on this, Shocking if true ....

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Pepsi » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:31 pm

Lilywhite29 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:19 pm Sam Caiger , ex West Ham, confirmed as the trialist by NN in this mornings Democrat .. Theres even quotes from SOD on him who says he's had some injuries in the past .
They also report the club had no clue that Adeboyega was heading to Drogheda . SOD quoted on this, Shocking if true ....
If SOD didnt know that one of his young prospects was signing up the road then there is a bigger problem than we all realise. Surely the manager should know who is in contract and who is not and should be speaking to those young lads to ensure that they want to stay and continue with Dundalk.

As for signing a play with an injury record ... lets hope they have backup for him even if he is backup himself. Certainly looks like the club are finding it very hard to attract players for some reason.

User avatar
Lilywhite29
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:13 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Lilywhite29 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:39 pm

Pepsi wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:31 pm
Lilywhite29 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:19 pm Sam Caiger , ex West Ham, confirmed as the trialist by NN in this mornings Democrat .. Theres even quotes from SOD on him who says he's had some injuries in the past .
They also report the club had no clue that Adeboyega was heading to Drogheda . SOD quoted on this, Shocking if true ....
If SOD didnt know that one of his young prospects was signing up the road then there is a bigger problem than we all realise. Surely the manager should know who is in contract and who is not and should be speaking to those young lads to ensure that they want to stay and continue with Dundalk.

As for signing a play with an injury record ... lets hope they have backup for him even if he is backup himself. Certainly looks like the club are finding it very hard to attract players for some reason.
Agree , Was shocked reading this this morning, SOD came accross as blaming Adeboyega and Drogheda . He should have been on the ball because the report also mentions there was English interest too .
Thought Caiger looked a bit heavy on Friday but did ok in the circumstances, Hasn't played in nearly 2 years according to SOD though .

cooney
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Dundalk

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by cooney » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:02 pm

Supposedly Adeboyega trained with the Dundalk first team that morning then went down to drogheda that evening and signed with them

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Pepsi » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:20 pm

cooney wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:02 pm Supposedly Adeboyega trained with the Dundalk first team that morning then went down to drogheda that evening and signed with them
That doesnt make it any better. Either he was training and out of contract or the club didnt give him the feeling he was wanted and his new club are willing to pay a small fee. Either way ... the buck lands with the club and SOD

Post Reply