2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Post Reply
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Pepsi »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:28 pm Absolute shit show. If they don't want to invest what is the point of them being here?
Image and potential profits from sale or investment. How much did Peak6 pay for us?
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1561
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Richie87 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:48 pm Pats have made good money from player sales. James Abankwah to Udinese, Darragh Burs to Mk Dons, Luke McNally to Oxford. They made over 1 million on those 3 transfers

They will probably make good on Sam Curtis. The same with Mason Melia. Dundalk haven't been getting any fees.
Pats have gotten a couple of years in Europe too
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1561
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Oriel O'Shea wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:00 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:28 pm Absolute shit show. If they don't want to invest what is the point of them being here?
The optimism that was followed by Dan McDonnell's club takeover announcement back in 2021 seems dead on its feet now. Maybe the buzz got everyone carried away of what actual likely to happen.

To be fair to Stevie, he has us where we deserve to be as, Andy B said, Midtable/pushing for Europe each year. And i think owners understand that and will do best to back him. I also think we will still get europe this year.

Very hard to replicate what Kenny done, with stronger owners now invested throughout the league. Even Pats seem wealthier vs us at the moment.

Without wealthier owners or more investment or outside the box thinking like bohs, what else do fans actually expect?
The fans have to take some responsibility too. But nobody on here or the mouths on Facebook ever mention that.
The owners have consistently said that they need outside investment and are looking for it. Yet when the Hull deal was close there was a collective nervous breakdown by the fan base , including The Pressbox and The Men who saved Football podcast. Hull deal was dead in the water after that. Andy Burton floated the idea that Hull money might have helped sign Shepps on a longer term deal and improve the pitch…
Last edited by Martin Lawlor80 on Fri May 26, 2023 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Pepsi »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:41 pm
Oriel O'Shea wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:00 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:28 pm Absolute shit show. If they don't want to invest what is the point of them being here?
The optimism that was followed by Dan McDonnell's club takeover announcement back in 2021 seems dead on its feet now. Maybe the buzz got everyone carried away of what actual likely to happen.

To be fair to Stevie, he has us where we deserve to be as, Andy B said, Midtable/pushing for Europe each year. And i think owners understand that and will do best to back him. I also think we will still get europe this year.

Very hard to replicate what Kenny done, with stronger owners now invested throughout the league. Even Pats seem wealthier vs us at the moment.

Without wealthier owners or more investment or outside the box thinking like bohs, what else do fans actually expect?
The fans have to take some responsibility too. But nobody on here or the mouths on Facebook ever mention that.
The owners have consistently said that they need outside investment and are looking for it. Yet when the Hull deal was close there was a collective nervous breakdown by the fan base , including The Pressbox and The Men who saved Football podcast. Hull deal was dead in the water after that. Andy Burton floated the idea that Hull money might have helped sign Shels on a longer term deal and improve the pitch…
I am with you ... fans need to be doing more, however the owners coming out saying they dont want support through support doesnt help. It is pure madness that a so called football town has such low attendances, even when we were winning everything, we very seldom if ever sold out.
I would stick my neck out and make the statement that the majority of our fans dont realise what it costs to keep the club afloat, if they did, we would have better attendances and less fines.
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

John Mountney taking over the family pub in bohola. Retirement incoming?
User avatar
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4854
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:33 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Louth4sam »

Hull have taken over Shels. We'll now know if it was a bad or good thing for us https://www.extratime.com/articles/3075 ... m=facebook
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Online
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Good luck Shelbourne , nothing ventured , nothing gained . Obviously Tolka needs to be demolished & a new stadium built . Maybe relocate in Santry if a suitable site available , planning permission etc . Plenty of land out the Swords Rd . The main thing is the money will be available , all to be overseen by the well travelled & experienced Damien Duff . A No Brainer .
Word is Shelbourne have bought ground from DCC.
1.2 million . Great for Shels. New owner worth 100 million.
Last edited by Johnnybegood33 on Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Dublin

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by magarnagle »

One thing is for sure that if Shels start improving because of this the same fans who were up in arms about it will turn on the current owners for turning it down, it's the Dundalk way....

I know we have a Hull based fan who thinks we've dodged a bullet but there are plenty of Hull fans praising him as an owner on the announcement tweet (yes I know twitter can't be relied on). So will be interesting to see what he does.

Likely Shels will surpass us in the short term anyway.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Richie87 »

They'll probably invest in Academy before the ground so it can be a high standard for players coming over on loan. Duff wouldn't take any nonsense about playing the same way as Hull so they must have came to an agreement.

Be interesting to see who they sign in the July window as the owner will be wanting European football asap.
User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3387
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by seand »

His spending has got Hull to 15th in thr Championship, I doubt he's gonna be pouring much into Shels as I'd be astounded if he invests more in the ground that Peak 6 did. Regarding academies , its a great idea but they're 5-10 years and several million euro behind Pats and Rovers . Its not a short term gain. Maybe it'll work out for them, but I'd be willing to bet that Hull are more likely to be in League One than the Prem in 5 years, and where does that leave an expensive afterthought of a feeder club?
User avatar
magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Dublin

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by magarnagle »

seand wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:43 am Regarding academies , its a great idea but they're 5-10 years and several million euro behind Pats and Rovers.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Definitely behind Rovers, everybody is but Shels would have a bigger presence at U8-U16 than Pats or Bohs. Both Pats and Bohs rely heavily on their feeder clubs for their LOI academy teams. Bohs have some average schoolboy teams but Pats have no schoolboy presence at all
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Richie87 »

seand wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:43 am His spending has got Hull to 15th in thr Championship, I doubt he's gonna be pouring much into Shels as I'd be astounded if he invests more in the ground that Peak 6 did. Regarding academies , its a great idea but they're 5-10 years and several million euro behind Pats and Rovers . Its not a short term gain. Maybe it'll work out for them, but I'd be willing to bet that Hull are more likely to be in League One than the Prem in 5 years, and where does that leave an expensive afterthought of a feeder club?
Shelbourne bought the ground from DCC back in February. They must have some intention of doing something with the ground with the aid of investment.

Better facilities with an increased capacity and the owners would be getting the money back. Shelbourne could get 5 or 6k regularly unlike Dundalk
superman
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:56 pm

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by superman »

No signing in the summer would be worth as much as signing Sheps on a new deal.
User avatar
Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1565
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:40 pm
Location: Co Wexford

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Wexford White »

superman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:14 pm No signing in the summer would be worth as much as signing Sheps on a new deal.
He is a top class goalkeeper, no doubt about that. He has certainly been kept very busy but I would like to see money being spent on players who could prevent him from being bothered by those nasty forwards and midfielders who try to score against him.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6
User avatar
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:19 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: 2023 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Hull White »

seand wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:43 am His spending has got Hull to 15th in thr Championship, I doubt he's gonna be pouring much into Shels as I'd be astounded if he invests more in the ground that Peak 6 did. Regarding academies , its a great idea but they're 5-10 years and several million euro behind Pats and Rovers . Its not a short term gain. Maybe it'll work out for them, but I'd be willing to bet that Hull are more likely to be in League One than the Prem in 5 years, and where does that leave an expensive afterthought of a feeder club?
👍 Brilliant Post Sean. Hull are 15th in the Championship and even that flattered them. Some gutsy performances towards the end of the season kept them up. Still waiting for all his promises of “top players incoming to support the manager” to come to fruition, I suspect it will be more underwhelming loan signings, another struggle next season and he will keep fans sweet by cheap tickets, Turkey Holidays etc etc. He will farm out the youngsters to get playing time in senior football and take any promising Shels players in return. Just watch?
Post Reply