Flares and Fines

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Flares and Fines

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

oldfogey wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:50 am
dundog21 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:52 am Brian leading my example by getting in a shouting match with a drogs fan
Do you have any context? Were you present? I heard the same thing, but heard that the offender was giving it large to a lady. My daughter is well capable of defending herself, but I'm old achool and if someone gets in her face within earshot, I'm first in the queue.

I'm more interested in hearing about the Drogheda Steward who allegedly assaulted a Dundalk player after the final whistle.
You are right Oldfogey

While the reaction to this hasn't been surprising, it should be made clear that
@coachainscough
was standing up for some female Dundalk supporters who were been given a hard time by a couple of over excitable Drogs fans. Storm in a teacup stuff really. Never a dull moment in LOI. from Kieran Burke on Twitter.
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

On flares, good to see the club finally- FINALLY- coming out with a strong statement about zero tolerance of flares etc. Whether that'll actually be enforced remains to be seen. Doesn't help when our esteemed PA clown congratulates the shed on a pyro heavy pre-match display v Shels!
Mick Mac
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Mick Mac »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:40 pm Ha!
Just did a quick search on X and as I said above, a couple of the usual young lads are giving out about the statement and undermining the owner. “ yea strobes on the pitch are the reason we lost” and “ fans have done nothing but back club and team”, except for all the fines ffs!!
One of them before the game who was letting them off is a well know shead head who's a goalkeeper in the local football scene. Il not say his name but im sure most know who he is

I'd be near certain he's a member of the shedside army
When i see you dundalk, I just cant enough, I Just cant get enough
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Mick Mac wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:55 pm
Just did a quick search on X and as I said above, a couple of the usual young lads are giving out about the statement and undermining the owner. “ yea strobes on the pitch are the reason we lost” and “ fans have done nothing but back club and team”, except for all the fines ffs!!
One of them before the game who was letting them off is a well know shead head who's a goalkeeper in the local football scene. Il not say his name but im sure most know who he is

It was really overpowering on Monday. The smell and thick smoke was a disgrace. I was over at the far end of the away section to avoid all of this and one of the goons went up and stood behind me. He was quickly told to fcuk away from me with it. Idiots.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:10 pm

It was really overpowering on Monday. The smell and thick smoke was a disgrace. I was over at the far end of the away section to avoid all of this and one of the goons went up and stood behind me. He was quickly told to fcuk away from me with it. Idiots.
At the end of the day this will probably boil down to how many supporters feel that flares are acceptable UNDER ANY/ALL CIRCUMSTANCES irrespective of any collateral damage. If a few of the culprits were identified and handed over this would soon stop. Similar to Irish fans in the 90s

It is interesting that there are always "fire marshalls" in front of the away section, but I've never seen anyone in the shed. We see lots of public handwringing by the club, while the reality is somewhat different.
StevieR88
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by StevieR88 »

Yeah I know who you’re talking about. I did see him put them on the floor and stamp them out as did those around him. I’d have no problem with that, it’s the throwing onto the pitch that is the issue. It’s braindead
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

StevieR88 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:17 pm

Yeah I know who you’re talking about. I did see him put them on the floor and stamp them out as did those around him. I’d have no problem with that, it’s the throwing onto the pitch that is the issue. It’s braindead
Sorry, I have to disagree. Either flares are banned, or they're not. The smoke given off is extremely hazardous to health, and throwing them on the ground in a crowded/confined space is inviting trouble.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

While I don't for one second agree that flares should be thrown on to the pitch this is being blown up into something that its not. It didn't cost the club 3 points the performance did. As usual theres heads out to give out about the shedside army and just lash them at every opportunity. To try and name people without naming is yellow. Without the SSA the atmosphere in oriel and on away trips would be stinking. Always looking a stick to beat young fellas with but happy to share images of their tifos on your socials. Go follow snooker or something if youre looking such a chilled out friday night. Most appreciate the craic and colour. Same heads banging on like broken records because young lads have a bit of craic and add to the occassion. Sorry you dont like the smell. I don't like the smell of fish so I stay away from fish shops
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:37 pm While I don't for one second agree that flares should be thrown on to the pitch this is being blown up into something that its not. It didn't cost the club 3 points the performance did. As usual theres heads out to give out about the shedside army and just lash them at every opportunity. To try and name people without naming is yellow. Without the SSA the atmosphere in oriel and on away trips would be stinking. Always looking a stick to beat young fellas with but happy to share images of their tifos on your socials. Go follow snooker or something if youre looking such a chilled out friday night. Most appreciate the craic and colour. Same heads banging on like broken records because young lads have a bit of craic and add to the occassion. Sorry you dont like the smell. I don't like the smell of fish so I stay away from fish shops
Oh yeah that famous atmosphere by singing "Sarah Brennan loves the cock" in front of kids is great fun altogether isn't it? Getting the club fines every week but hey once U create an atmosphere. And you did get our club back after all. Isn't that right? I don't want a dangerous item held near me in the hands of imbeciles.. or to breath in thick smoke and chemicals. As I said to one of the imbeciles, if he didn't move from behind me he'd regret it.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:39 pm
TrevDaRev2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:37 pm While I don't for one second agree that flares should be thrown on to the pitch this is being blown up into something that its not. It didn't cost the club 3 points the performance did. As usual theres heads out to give out about the shedside army and just lash them at every opportunity. To try and name people without naming is yellow. Without the SSA the atmosphere in oriel and on away trips would be stinking. Always looking a stick to beat young fellas with but happy to share images of their tifos on your socials. Go follow snooker or something if youre looking such a chilled out friday night. Most appreciate the craic and colour. Same heads banging on like broken records because young lads have a bit of craic and add to the occassion. Sorry you dont like the smell. I don't like the smell of fish so I stay away from fish shops
Oh yeah that famous atmosphere by singing "Sarah Brennan loves the cock" in front of kids is great fun altogether isn't it? Getting the club fines every week but hey once U create an atmosphere. And you did get our club back after all. Isn't that right? I don't want a dangerous item held near me in the hands of imbeciles.. or to breath in thick smoke and chemicals. As I said to one of the imbeciles, if he didn't move from behind me he'd regret it.
I hate that one for what it’s worth but they’ve plenty of great songs and I’d say you tap your feet away to half of them. If you don’t want to be in danger don’t stand in that section. It’s not a new thing. As for your hard man comment you sound like more of a danger to home fans than any flare. You’d be better off spending your time at the tennis club by sound of it. Atmosphere and colour a feature of football the world over. Sorry Oriel isn’t the sanitised utopia you’re lookin for
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:49 pm
I hate that one for what it’s worth but they’ve plenty of great songs and I’d say you tap your feet away to half of them. If you don’t want to be in danger don’t stand in that section. It’s not a new thing. As for your hard man comment you sound like more of a danger to home fans than any flare. You’d be better off spending your time at the tennis club by sound of it. Atmosphere and colour a feature of football the world over. Sorry Oriel isn’t the sanitised utopia you’re lookin for
I stood to the very right of the away end but as usual SSA arrive in just before kickoff and muscle people out of the way.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Funny how you completely overlooked the fines part. If yourself and your mates had any balls at all, you would approach BA and offer to pay any fines incurred on the club due to you having a bit of craic, but then again .... that aint gonna happen as others should pay for your stupidity. You do realise those fines may be the difference between the club offering PH a new contract or signing a player who couldnt hit a barn door with a football.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Pepsi wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:00 pm

Funny how you completely overlooked the fines part. If yourself and your mates had any balls at all, you would approach BA and offer to pay any fines incurred on the club due to you having a bit of craic, but then again .... that aint gonna happen as others should pay for your stupidity. You do realise those fines may be the difference between the club offering PH a new contract or signing a player who couldnt hit a barn door with a football.
Ain’t my mates. I’m far too old for the SSA but I was young once and all I’ve ever seen and heard in this club is older fans lookin any reason to have a go at younger fans for behaviour that in the grand scheme of things is fairly normal and to be expected. Experience the same shite the young fellas are constantly subjected to now. I’m sorry you disapprove but I think there’s plenty of fans who’ve walked in their shoes and appreciate what these kids bring in terms of atmosphere. If you think fines are the reason PH wasn’t retained I’ve 6 magic beans for sale
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:56 pm

I stood to the very right of the away end but as usual SSA arrive in just before kickoff and muscle people out of the way.
Suggest a stand ticket for the next one so
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:07 pm
Pepsi wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:00 pm

Ain’t my mates. I’m far too old for the SSA but I was young once and all I’ve ever seen and heard in this club is older fans lookin any reason to have a go at younger fans for behaviour that in the grand scheme of things is fairly normal and to be expected. Experience the same shite the young fellas are constantly subjected to now. I’m sorry you disapprove but I think there’s plenty of fans who’ve walked in their shoes and appreciate what these kids bring in terms of atmosphere. If you think fines are the reason PH wasn’t retained I’ve 6 magic beans for sale
Fact is and remains, the flares cost the club thousands every year and so far no one in the Shed or anywhere else in the ground has had the idea to do a collection to shoulder some of the financial burden. Same fans expect owners to continually stump up and complain about the ground, toilets, pitch, level of players signed etc.. That €5-10K in fines per season could go a long way and can mean getting the player you want and having to do with second best.
I am all for having a craic, creating atmosphere, however it all has to be in good faith and not damage the club financially. Imagine it can be done without flares .... young lads have to realise we are not getting million Euro attendances every game, meaning every fine hurts and means money is missing elsewhere in the club.