Play Offs

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Play Offs

Post by Wexford White » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:43 pm

Great game tonight, lots of talent on view. I wonder if Waterford will be able to hold onto their better players for next season? I'd say a lot of Premier clubs will be sniffing about..
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Play Offs

Post by Richie87 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:50 pm

A very casual penalty by Junior Quitrina. It summed up the Waterford performance. UCD lost Kerrigan and Colm Whelan during the season, so an excellent achievement to stay up.

Wateford will likely lose a few. Patterson linked with Fleetwood. The new owners are hardly too chuffed about another season of first Division.

Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:51 pm

Disappointed for Waterford, would much prefer them in the prem than a Dublin school team

Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Towelie » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:23 pm

The league would've been much stronger next year if Waterford didn't bottle it. That's the best UCD squad in a while, Lonergan a serious talent but it'll get picked apart during the off season, I'd imagine it'll be a scrap between UCD and Drogs for relegation.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:36 pm

Yes 50 % of the League is made up of Dublin clubs again in 23. It would have good for for the League with Waterford up. A Munster Derby with Cork , but bringing good crowds to games too.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:12 am

UCD is the nearest thing to a home game for me but I agree - Waterford would be far better for the Premier.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Dillonman
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Dillonman » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:03 am

On a side note, how was that penalty given at the end. Shocking decision from rob Harvey. Sums up the standard of refs in this league.

Ucd generally keep their squad together in off season as lads are on courses until the summer. Average age of that squad was 20 last night. Lonergan destroyed us a few times and would be a great option to go for as another option to Hoban.
Drogs are scum!

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:36 am

Yes they have few fans but a more than decent stadium. Closer away game than Waterford for us. Anyway you earn the right on the pitch and they earned it tonight. I applaud them for it. The only LoI club to not suffer a financial meltdown. They bring financial stability, they provide an outstanding scholarship programme to their athletes they give them an outstanding education and career path, and how many players through out the LoI started at ucd...
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:19 am

The majority of their players have previously played in the loi or at a high level before joining ucd to go to college, they have no youth development system and only have financial stability because they are college funded which means if you aren’t intelligent you can’t play. Waterford would have brought at least 100 fans to away games @ €15 a go Ucd bring nothing. I understand they won the right to be in the premier but the first division should be their limit.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:38 am

Dillonman wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:03 am On a side note, how was that penalty given at the end. Shocking decision from rob Harvey. Sums up the standard of refs in this league.

Ucd generally keep their squad together in off season as lads are on courses until the summer. Average age of that squad was 20 last night. Lonergan destroyed us a few times and would be a great option to go for as another option to Hoban.
Lonergan would probably stay with UCD for his education. He's 18, unless a lucrative offer came from the UK came,or a US scholarship.

Colm Whelan stayed with UCD to finish his degree.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:46 am

Richie87 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:38 am Lonergan would probably stay with UCD for his education. He's 18, unless a lucrative offer came from the UK came,or a US scholarship.
Someone over on foot.ie was saying he wasn't signed as part of the scholarship program.

From a selfish viewpoint I'm glad UCD won. It's two handy away trips I'll hopefully make next season.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:13 am

Yep agreed on UCD, absolutely deserved it not only on last night's defensive display but their end of season run picking up points to steer clear of FH.

They may not be everyone's cup of tea but back in the old days of LOI clubs spending madness they were always a well oiled ship, as LFS says a handy away trip.

I think Waterford peaked in Aug / Sept, unlucky for us to have met them when they battered us, as they were total muck last night, only started playing with 20 mins to go, and the pen award was a disgrace.

Attendances wise, of course Waterford would have added to the PD, but maybe new owners would have pumped lots more cash in, and they might have clogged up mid table and troubled us, at least we know where UCD will finish next season, 9th or 10th, but same time they will be a tough nut to crack, then again they beat us once last season !

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:16 am

Midfield11 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:19 am The majority of their players have previously played in the loi or at a high level before joining ucd to go to college, they have no youth development system and only have financial stability because they are college funded which means if you aren’t intelligent you can’t play. Waterford would have brought at least 100 fans to away games @ €15 a go Ucd bring nothing. I understand they won the right to be in the premier but the first division should be their limit.
Cant agree on this one .... UCD have offered way more to LOI players than Waterford ever will. How many of our current team played for UCD? How many LOI players made their names or developed there over the last decade? It is not always about gate money ... sometimes it is about giving talent a chance and they do that in combination with education. Garts, Benson,McMillan, Sloggett, Doyle going back to Alan O´Neill ... all played for UCD. Must be hard having brains, imagine using them to get an education and play football to have something for when your career ends!

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:55 am

I see Evan Caffery is represented by Gen Z Sports who rep Sheppard. Maybe Andy Burton has something lined up for him and us …!!!

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:09 am

mike wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:13 am Yep agreed on UCD, absolutely deserved it not only on last night's defensive display but their end of season run picking up points to steer clear of FH.

They may not be everyone's cup of tea but back in the old days of LOI clubs spending madness they were always a well oiled ship, as LFS says a handy away trip.

I think Waterford peaked in Aug / Sept, unlucky for us to have met them when they battered us, as they were total muck last night, only started playing with 20 mins to go, and the pen award was a disgrace.

Attendances wise, of course Waterford would have added to the PD, but maybe new owners would have pumped lots more cash in, and they might have clogged up mid table and troubled us, at least we know where UCD will finish next season, 9th or 10th, but same time they will be a tough nut to crack, then again they beat us once last season !
I don't think it's any good for the League knowing a team will be in the relegation mix every year. Waterford would have been another full time league in the League.

But ultimately they weren't good enough and will likely spend again over the Winter . Galway would likely have preferred UCD to go down