2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Towelie »

Apparently we're looking to re-sign Sheps. Also we rejected a bid for Archie Davies from Motherwell.

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... eturn.html
BigChief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BigChief »

Archie Davies is a different class, he will have no shortage of offers both here and in the UK. His technical ability on the ball & composure must be up there if not the best in the league. Add in the fact he has a wand of a right boot. When he does leave it will be to a higher standard than our league and it will be well deserved.
In relation to Shepard I would gladly have him back, Munro gives me the fear every cross or corner that comes in.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Nathan Gartside a free agent too. He looked a decent keeper at Derry and then went to Cliftonville.
Stephen Mallon who was linked with Dundalk previously, is joining Sligo in July.
Philistine
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Philistine »

Towelie wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:47 pm Apparently we're looking to re-sign Sheps. Also we rejected a bid for Archie Davies from Motherwell.

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... eturn.html
Interesting stuff, could definitely see Sheps back in Dundalk. Not the best GK in the world imo but deffo an upgrade on Munro .

The piece also references Adebambo being linked, good young player who was with Stoke. Reckon he was gonna sign before SOD got the boot and just never happened amidst the chaos of late?? but good to see JD is considering him as an option. Vital we keep hold of Davies with Pats and now Motherwell after him...
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

Any strikers or wingers rumored?

What happened to McGuckin? And Scott High?

Are the the two Zaks staying?
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

Think McGuckin and High are gone because of their injuries, strange that it wasn't acknowledged by the club.

Zak Johnson seems more likely than Bradshaw. We'll definitely need a left back I think. Adebambo training with the squad, think he's a #6 who can play various positions along the back 4.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Motherwell weren't even offering to pay a fee for Davies. instead performance related fees
https://t.co/T4cYtAhs0w
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

Richie87 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:35 pm Motherwell weren't even offering to pay a fee for Davies. instead performance related fees
https://t.co/T4cYtAhs0w
That is embarrassing.
Gullans
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Gullans »

superman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:07 pm Any strikers or wingers rumored?

What happened to McGuckin? And Scott High?

Are the the two Zaks staying?
Mcguickin was there today
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Dundalk are eyeing up a moving for Northern Irish underage international striker Ben Wilson.
James Rogers
© The Argus
Today at 17:00

Dundalk are eyeing up a moving for Northern Irish underage international striker Ben Wilson.
The 22-year-old is currently a free agent following the expiration of his deal with Cliftonville where he scored 18 league goals last season in 34 appearances – a return only bettered in the Sports Direct Premiership by Larne’s Andy Ryan.
While the Irish Cup winners are keen to retain the services of the Derry-born attacker, Wilson is understood to be weighing up his options at present with several offers on the table for his services, including from Jim Magilton’s side and Glentoran.
Having come through the underage system at Coleraine, Wilson signed for English Premier League side Brighton in July 2018 and spent five years at the Amex without making a first-team appearance before returning to Northern Ireland to sign for Cliftonville where he helped them to a third place finish and a memorable Cup final victory over Larne last month – the club’s first in 45 years.
New Dundalk boss Jon Daly has already said he is anxious to add to his squad this summer, with attacking players amongst the priorities. While the Lilywhites scored three in their 3-2 victory away to St Patrick’s Athletic on Monday, that brings their season’s total for 19 matches to just 12 – with only three goals scored so far at home.
Speaking after the victory against his old club Daly said he wanted to “try and add to the group in the upcoming window to add a little bit more help and a little bit more quality.”
Wilson is a former teammate at Brighton of Dundalk full-back Archie Davies. News broke on Monday that Dundalk had rebuffed an offer for last season’s Player of the Year from Scottish Premiership side Motherwell which, according to the Daily Record, was turned down as the offer wasn’t good enough to accept up front and was loaded with add-ons.
Daly said he was unaware of the bid when it was put to him on Monday but said there had been interest in Davies from League of Ireland sides, with St Patrick’s Athletic and Bohemians both credited with an interest in the 25-year-old.
“I couldn’t tell you. That’s not something that I was aware of,” he said when told about the story.
“I hadn’t heard anything on that but I’m not surprised because he’s arguably the best right back in the league. I’ve had phone calls from other clubs within the league about him offering me two players for him and trying to do little deals to get him but obviously we’re not looking to lose Archie. We’re delighted to have him and I’ll be looking to add to the group and not really lose many.”
One player expected to make an exit at the end of the month is Zak Bradshaw, with Lincoln City anxious to have their February recruit from Ipswich Town join up with them for pre-season.
As revealed by The Argus last week, Daly is looking to strengthen in all areas if possible this summer and a return to the club for Nathan Shepperd wasn’t completely ruled out by the manager on Friday night, with the Welshman once again a free agent following his recent short-term deal at Wycombe Wanderers came to an end.
“I know he’s free and he’s a good goalkeeper but there’s obviously a lot of good goalkeepers out there that I’ll be looking at,” added Daly.
“Nathan was a good goalkeeper for Dundalk but we’ll look at our different options.”
Greg Sloggett, who was in attendance at Oriel Park on Friday night for the scoreless draw with Derry City, continues to be linked with a move back to the club while former Academy player, Gabriel Adebambo also took part in a rigorous pre-match routine.
Asked about the former Stoke City player, Daly said: “He's one that was in training with the group prior to me coming in. He’s one that I was trying to get in to train at Pat’s to have a look at as well. I’ll obviously get a good look at him now over the next few weeks and see where we go with that one.”
The new Lilywhites boss further strengthened his backroom panel last week with Graham Kelly following him from St Pat’s to become part of the coaching panel and also look after video analysis following Dominic Corrigan’s departure.
Peter Cherrie also made a return to the club as goalkeeping coach and has been registered as a player also, if required, although he did not feature as a playing member of the squad on the bench for either of the weekend’s games.
On the 40-year-old, Daly said: “I spoke to Peter a couple of times about coming in as the goalkeeper coach and obviously when I seen him he’s still in great condition and great shape so he could potentially go in if needs be.
“I told him that he’s not coming in to dislodge the number one, he’s coming in to make them better and that’s the number one focus for him. He’s on his A Licence now at the minute and he’s trying to develop as a coach.
“He’s an ex-Dundalk man and from the area in terms of where he lives so it’s great to have someone like that back in and giving the whole place a lift. You could see the reaction of fans to him coming back, which was pleasing, so I’m looking forward to working with him and seeing him develop the goalkeeping department.”
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

You'd feel Wilson would be a big improvement on Cammie (no harm to him). 18 league goals is very impressive.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Cammie obv not scoring, but thought he worked exceptionally hard last night to be fair to him. Had a good game v Derry also.

Wilson will prob have other offers, not sure on $$$ power of NI clubs, but would imagine most LOI PD apart from Drogs could offer more than all IL bar Larne / Linfield.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Towelie wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:27 pm You'd feel Wilson would be a big improvement on Cammie (no harm to him). 18 league goals is very impressive.
Would he be better than Cammie in a stronger league and in a different setup? I feel Cammie has improved immensely under Daly and he is truly turning into a workhorse that defenders will hate, he hassles them, kicks them and is a general pain in the arse for them.
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

Pepsi wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:13 pm
Towelie wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:27 pm You'd feel Wilson would be a big improvement on Cammie (no harm to him). 18 league goals is very impressive.
Would he be better than Cammie in a stronger league and in a different setup? I feel Cammie has improved immensely under Daly and he is truly turning into a workhorse that defenders will hate, he hassles them, kicks them and is a general pain in the arse for them.
I like Cammie, he has improved and works hard but generally he's been a poor signing. Don't mind him coming off the bench and putting in a shift, but he's not good enough to start imo.

Has he 1 goal in 30+ appearances as a forward? Also bear in mind that Elliott himself came from the Scottish Highland League, the NIFL is streets ahead of that. Wilson scored 18 league goals this season and is younger as well.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

mike wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:41 pm Cammie obv not scoring, but thought he worked exceptionally hard last night to be fair to him. Had a good game v Derry also.

Wilson will prob have other offers, not sure on $$$ power of NI clubs, but would imagine most LOI PD apart from Drogs could offer more than all IL bar Larne / Linfield.
Glentoran would also be well backed. The Clubs up North not afraid to splash the cash. https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/spor ... 03838.html