2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Richie87 »

Shelvey is 22 and Munro is 23. It's probably up in the air as who will be number 1.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

I would be very surprised if he doesn't go with Shelvey v Rovers. Great to see another GK in.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:37 pm
mike wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:08 pm New GK and meant to be the No 1 for 2024 incoming early next week I heard, no other details.
Mike first with the correct insider info !!
Sometimes you can get them right ML, he looks decent, heard they were after him from the day of the Malahide game in LSC.
BigChief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BigChief »

Good to see another keeper in. Wonder who ODonnell eyes as his #1. Hard to think Munro left the SPL to come to our league and still play back up.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

mike wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:46 pm I would be very surprised if he doesn't go with Shelvey v Rovers. Great to see another GK in.
Maybe he will, but he would only have a few days training done. The defenders need to be familiar with a keeper.
cooney
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cooney »

cooney wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:20 pm I see on Twitter a Sunderland journalist reporting last night us acquiring Zak Johnson on loan from them a CB

https://x.com/josephbrownjrno/status/17 ... 36498?s=46

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/zak-joh ... ler/827440

Just back from loan at Hartlepool

As much as I appreciate the coverage if it’s true I would much more love some news on the GK backup situation
Zak Johnson now confirmed on loan

https://www.dundalkfc.com/loan-signing-zak-johnson/
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Signing far too many loan signings. Means no matter what, that come July or next season it will be another major rebuild.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by bigalan »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:15 am Signing far too many loan signings. Means no matter what, that come July or next season it will be another major rebuild.
More loans than Provident!!!

Although maybe under our new stewardship, some may be with a view to permenant deals in the future. If so, it would be a clever model to not commit just in case theres a few flops
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:15 am Signing far too many loan signings. Means no matter what, that come July or next season it will be another major rebuild.
I think there's 4 or 5 in a squad of 26, can't see it being a crisis
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

It's a big squad, so credit to the recruitment team and owner for assembling it with such little time. It remains to be seen how many of these players will be decent or pants. I do think that we could've done with another experienced head at centre half instead of youth and also I think it's bonkers to not have cover for an inexperienced left back.

Still I think this squad should be good enough to stay up.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

It looks like Max Mata is rejoining Sligo on loan. In a league where goal scoring is low ,that could be very good business. Galway were high scorers in the first Division, but I don't think any of the forwards have much Premier experience. David Hurley was very good from midfield.
Padraig Amond has scored a few in pre season for Waterford.
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

4 players out of 26 are loans, 21 on permanent deals, hardly constitutes a 'major rebuild' being required from November?
Rovers have the same amount of loans this year, and all of them key players unlike with us, Saints have 3, not a word about it .
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Towelie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:28 pm It's a big squad, so credit to the recruitment team and owner for assembling it with such little time. It remains to be seen how many of these players will be decent or pants. I do think that we could've done with another experienced head at centre half instead of youth and also I think it's bonkers to not have cover for an inexperienced left back.

Ye left back be the one position i'd be concerned about too. Maybe Muller and Benson enough to cover it if Walker starts, but feels light ye
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

Towelie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:28 pm It's a big squad, so credit to the recruitment team and owner for assembling it with such little time. It remains to be seen how many of these players will be decent or pants. I do think that we could've done with another experienced head at centre half instead of youth and also I think it's bonkers to not have cover for an inexperienced left back.

Hopefully one of the new center-halfs can play left-full.

Macari was a center-half when he arrived.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

George Shelvey (Nottingham Forest), Koen Oostenbrink (FC Eindhoven), Robbie Mahon (Motherwell) Ross Munro (Ross County)
Dara Keane (UCD), Jamie Gullan (Raith Rovers) and Jamie Walker (Kelty Hearts) were all permanent signings.

4 loans. Sunderland’s Zak Johnson Ciaran McGuckin of Rotherham, Huddersfield’s Scott High and Zak Bradshaw of Lincoln City

Every club in the League has a few loans. Dundalk might have more then others ,but a lot of players left and there wasn't much left in the Irish market. The owner took over in December so was behind with recruitment.