2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Pepsi »

seand wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:39 am Bear with me for this hot take.... selling your best player- arguably your only very good player- is rarely a good tactic. When it's likely to contribute to a possible relegation it's a really, really bad idea. 80 grand won't pay for the petrol to get us to Kerry, Cobh, Harps and Wexford
Selling your best player to balance the books and avoid going bust could be more like it...... it is also a nice marketing spin when looking for investors ...."look lads we sold a player for €80k and feel we can do it every window .... you willing to put in €70 - 200k per season to be part of a growing market and to allow us get better players with a higher resale value, we expect the first million player by 2035 or whatever". Get 10 - 20 Americans on board with a few bob to spare and you have your budget covered and potential to expand ... model is not rocket science. On top you go to the government and ask for all the grants etc. and you have the basic infrastructure in place to go with everything else .... they wouldnt get a sniff of European money pay days etc. for that investment anywhere else in Europe, maybe not even the world of sport.

Our owner may be Irish, however the thinking and model is very American. He is not here with his investors for a bit of craic, they are here to try and make money, good luck to them. If it doesnt work in a certain period, they will walk and will not be leaving €2 million plus in the bank for the restart.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

I'd imagine your spot on. On the face of it it's good business 80k for a player who'll move for free in November but if finances are as bad as they sound it'll not do much to plug any hole. Im not sure how any investor would look at us and think its a good place to put their money theyd need their head checked. Most investors are looking some sort of a return and they aren't getting anything for at least 5 years with us. We're staring relegation in the face and Oriel is falling apart. We haven't our house enough in order to even apply for the LSSIF and we're so far behind other clubs at our level that we're almost sure to be left behind at this stage. I'd imagine if BA had a decent offer on the table he'd hand over the keys to the place tomorrow. I hope Im just being overly negative but can't help feeling concerning about the next couple of months.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Yes they are being left behind. Drogheda night be struggling, but have plans for a new ground. Finn Harps and Wexford in the first Division have plans. Dalymount redevelopment will be completed in 2027. City clubs like Galway and Waterford are back in the Premier ,and not there to make up the numbers.
Philistine
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Philistine »

Gerry Malone reporting on X that the 2 boys coming in are Dan Pike and Felix Goddard. Pike played with Tranmere last season in League 2 and replaces Davies at RB. Goddard is a GK who was a youth with Blackburn but has no senior experience barring a loan at what is equivalent to Summer League level if we're honest..

Malone also saying Davies is to play a friendly with Carlisle today so that looks to be that unfortunately. Asking price also been lowered from 75k to approx 25k I'm hearing???

Certainly hope that 25k is worth more than relegation which is a cert looking at the standard of player we've brought in this window. Selling your best player for buttons in the midst of a relegation battle is utter lunacy from the owner. Really undermines Daly's comments that appeared all over the local media the last few days on top of that . Ainscough is clueless
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Mick Mac wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:57 am
seand wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:39 am Bear with me for this hot take.... selling your best player- arguably your only very good player- is rarely a good tactic. When it's likely to contribute to a possible relegation it's a really, really bad idea. 80 grand won't pay for the petrol to get us to Kerry, Cobh, Harps and Wexford
80,000 would basically cover 2 players wages for a season if they were on €750 a week (Alot squad wouldn't be close to that figure either)
And that is why we are in a relegation battle. Bargain basement signings.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco »

I'm not the club accountant so I'll let them worry about the finances, I'm a fan, I want the best players on the pitch, selling someone when we most likely won't get a better replacement while in a relegation battle is stupid.

That would be a GK, RB, CB & LB all gone from what was out first choice line up
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

Shoco wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:13 pm I'm not the club accountant so I'll let them worry about the finances, I'm a fan, I want the best players on the pitch, selling someone when we most likely won't get a better replacement while in a relegation battle is stupid.

That would be a GK, RB, CB & LB all gone from what was out first choice line up
Agreed. Scott High also gone from CM.

I'd have no problem if we were selling Davies if that €75k was going towards getting the YDC up to scratch to increase revenue streams. I'd fear it'll go towards a gamble on another couple of players that nobody has ever seen play and the money will be gone with no return.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
mamarkchampp
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by mamarkchampp »

Official confirmation there on twitter both off Dundalk and Archie that he's off. Undisclosed fee so will we ever find out the official figure? Probably not. Would it ever have gone into reinvestment? Almost definitely not.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

Haydon Muller now gone too.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Philistine wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:23 am Gerry Malone reporting on X that the 2 boys coming in are Dan Pike and Felix Goddard. Pike played with Tranmere last season in League 2 and replaces Davies at RB. Goddard is a GK who was a youth with Blackburn but has no senior experience barring a loan at what is equivalent to Summer League level if we're honest..

Malone also saying Davies is to play a friendly with Carlisle today so that looks to be that unfortunately. Asking price also been lowered from 75k to approx 25k I'm hearing???

Certainly hope that 25k is worth more than relegation which is a cert looking at the standard of player we've brought in this window. Selling your best player for buttons in the midst of a relegation battle is utter lunacy from the owner. Really undermines Daly's comments that appeared all over the local media the last few days on top of that . Ainscough is clueless
Sorry your last 2 paragraphs are unnecessary doom. Unless the person who told you the 25k figure is either BA, Peter Halpin or John Daly then they don’t know what they’re talking about. No need for it.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

So that's 7 players gone from our squad since the start of the season and Daly has signed five. You'd imagine there is at least another two coming in and maybe more if Daly offloads more. Huge turnover of players really
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

AD is English and obviously didn’t want to sign an extended contract when L2 clubs were interested. At least he didn’t go the rovers, Derry girls or Kenny ( which was another Bullshit rumour). I don’t want to see AD leave either but he can walk away for FREE in 3 months. I can imagine what the moaners would say about that.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:50 am
Mick Mac wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:57 am
80,000 would basically cover 2 players wages for a season if they were on €750 a week (Alot squad wouldn't be close to that figure either)
And that is why we are in a relegation battle. Bargain basement signings.
In fairness they wouldn't be attracting big names when in a relegation battle. A few of the new players looked decent against Rovers .

They were after the Cliftonville striker Wilson but he joined Airdrieonians.
Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk10 »

We've just lost some of our best players this season, who, it has to be said, were only good enough to get us to a position 2 points off guaranteed relegation. So, unless these new players are significantly better that the ones we've lost, we're only looking at one realistic outcome to the season.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:12 pm AD is English and obviously didn’t want to sign an extended contract when L2 clubs were interested. At least he didn’t go the rovers, Derry girls or Kenny ( which was another Bullshit rumour). I don’t want to see AD leave either but he can walk away for FREE in 3 months. I can imagine what the moaners would say about that.
Yes but it would have been better business to insist he stayed until after the most important derby in years. Remember that's Johnson, Bradshaw, Davies and annesley out of the back four now.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.