2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Pepsi »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:16 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:12 pm AD is English and obviously didn’t want to sign an extended contract when L2 clubs were interested. At least he didn’t go the rovers, Derry girls or Kenny ( which was another Bullshit rumour). I don’t want to see AD leave either but he can walk away for FREE in 3 months. I can imagine what the moaners would say about that.
Yes but it would have been better business to insist he stayed until after the most important derby in years. Remember that's Johnson, Bradshaw, Davies and annesley out of the back four now.
Had he stayed he could have downed tools. The way JD mentioned having players who do not want to be in the team / club ... was a clear indication that some of them most likely told him they wanted out (or the club wanted them out) when he came in. Can you blame them? Shit show calling itself local ownership ... then this season BA coming in, manager shit show, telling us about investment etc. and nothing being made public no one any the wiser of who is or is not backing him. Could understand lads who have no connection to town wanting out .....

What is it we need? 6-7 first team players .... most important being a senior keeper and a striker or two who knows where to goal is.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Pepsi wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:58 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:12 pm AD is English and obviously didn’t want to sign an extended contract when L2 clubs were interested. At least he didn’t go the rovers, Derry girls or Kenny ( which was another Bullshit rumour). I don’t want to see AD leave either but he can walk away for FREE in 3 months. I can imagine what the moaners would say about that.
Yes but it would have been better business to insist he stayed until after the most important derby in years. Remember that's Johnson, Bradshaw, Davies and annesley out of the back four now.
Had he stayed he could have downed tools. The way JD mentioned having players who do not want to be in the team / club ... was a clear indication that some of them most likely told him they wanted out (or the club wanted them out) when he came in. Can you blame them? Shit show calling itself local ownership ... then this season BA coming in, manager shit show, telling us about investment etc. and nothing being made public no one any the wiser of who is or is not backing him. Could understand lads who have no connection to town wanting out .....

What is it we need? 6-7 first team players .... most important being a senior keeper and a striker or two who knows where to goal is.
Down tools? Come on pepsi I'm talking about saying yes you are getting the deal to Carlisle but only after the derby on Friday. Hardly a reason for him to say if you don't let me leave I'm downing tools.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:13 pm
Pepsi wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:58 pm

Down tools? Come on pepsi I'm talking about saying yes you are getting the deal to Carlisle but only after the derby on Friday. Hardly a reason for him to say if you don't let me leave I'm downing tools.
Maybe Carlisle insisted on him signing today ... maybe they said its now or we move on. We were not part of the talks so none of us will ever know, however very few LOI clubs can turn their noses up to €50-80k. I would have loved to have him Friday night, however it is not how it works.
Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 »

So the clubs owner would rather have €75000 in his pocket than have a squad good enough to stay in the premier division. Getting relegated will cost us a hell of a lot more than 75k (we’ll probably loose around 500 casual fans paying an average of €10 over 18 games, that alone is €90000). All the players that have been brought in and not a striker amount them!!! 13 goals scored, Christ we are screwed.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

I agree but we are fans. Why would Carlisle owner buy a player and then let him play for us in a local derby? Makes no business sense at all for them. Sooner that get him integrated into their first team the better.
Seems to me that we had absolutely no choice in selling AD now. Madness to let him walk away for free in 3 months time. Also, if we hung on to him until the end of the season, wouldn’t he be much more likely to go to another LOI team ?
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

I have absolutely no doubt that Archie would have given 100% for the rest of the season had we retained him- such a good pro. He knows he'll get a UK deal in January at the latest. His departure could easily be the difference between 9th and 10th or the difference in a playoff. Incredible decision to let him go. Almost as self defeating as the Hoban debacle
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

James Rogers described the transfer fee for Archie Davies as much lower than HALF of the 75k reported last week. So they've let him go for 25-30k.

You cant help get the feeling this is only going one way. Its relegation this year or next , with Ainscough probably gone whenever than eventuality happens.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:36 am James Rogers described the transfer fee for Archie Davies as much lower than HALF of the 75k reported last week. So they've let him go for 25-30k.

You cant help get the feeling this is only going one way. Its relegation this year or next , with Ainscough probably gone whenever than eventuality happens.
If true, then there is only two things that come to mind why you would accept that. You can get someone of an equal or better level (doubtful) or we need that money to plug a hole.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

Louth4sam wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:57 am
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:36 am James Rogers described the transfer fee for Archie Davies as much lower than HALF of the 75k reported last week. So they've let him go for 25-30k.

If true, then there is only two things that come to mind why you would accept that. You can get someone of an equal or better level (doubtful) or we need that money to plug a hole.
Without doubt it speaks to the latter. Relegation would obviously be far more costly than €25k, so that would indicate some immediate cash flow issues.
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

Being on a different season to the UK doesn't help. If he has interest from a UK club in July he or his agent will want to make it happen. Much more attractive to join in the summer than sit around unemployed for Nov/Dec then try and join an established squad in January. That said, he was in contract to us, so perfectly reasonable to expect him to honour it
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

seand wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:13 pm Being on a different season to the UK doesn't help. If he has interest from a UK club in July he or his agent will want to make it happen. Much more attractive to join in the summer than sit around unemployed for Nov/Dec then try and join an established squad in January. That said, he was in contract to us, so perfectly reasonable to expect him to honour it
To be fair Sean I don't blame Archie or his agent in this instance. The club have the power to say yes or no deal. We paid a tf fee for him originally. So maybe the club wanted to recoup some of that.
However the club as stated before are a business and needs to balance the books. But for me as just a fan, which is more important? To balance the books or maintain our top flight position next season?

If James Rogers podcast is correct then we only received about half of the rumoured 75k tf fee. So that's €37500. Ok we don't have to pay his wages for the remainder of the season which could possibly be in and around €€22500. No idea just a rough €1500 per week to end of November estimate. So that's €60k.
Are we that desperate to balance the books? We have severely destabilised the defence ahead of the biggest derby in years. Wr had already lost Johnson, Bradshaw, Muller, annesley and now Archie from our defence. We should have said you have Archie, but only after the match on Friday. How much will relegation cost us? How many "fans" will we lose? How many years will it take us to get back up?
It is now imperative more than ever that we get behind Jon Daly and the squad of players and drive the team forward for the remainder of the season.
I hope I am proven wrong, but it appears we are in a very very precarious financial position. And I have have stated from day 1 I firmly believe Brian Ainscough is not the solution for Dundalk FC. Nor might I add were the previous owners who sold it to him.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

It was reported either at the end of last season or beginning of this season that Dundalks debts were high to the point of being concerning and theres been nothing obvious that wouldve rectified that. Muller and Annesley moving on was apparently to get bigger earners off the books and the decision to offload Davies is also to save money. I still believe the reason to move Hoban on was purely financial despite what was said publicly its the only reason that makes sense. While weve seen a spike in crowd numbers across the league my guess is our own average attendance has not increased and could even been down. Gate receipts are LOI clubs bread and butter and i doubt any 2024 projections wouldve been considered a loss of income on that front. I think its clear theres cashflow issues weve been hearing about investors etc coming in only for those stories to die a death presumably because once a potential investor crunches numbers they can see no return on it in the short to medium term. Id be very worried about where the finances will be come the end of the year and even if we do manage to stay up the club will almost certainly be looking to cut costs. Its a real bleak outlook and without a big investment were gonna struggle to run to stand still.
Goliath
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Goliath »

Im not surprised he's moved on because anyone with half a brain would do the same , but I am surprised it's Carlisle he's gone to , seriously this lad has been touted the best right back in the league and he's gone to an average L2 side , I would of taught he was L1 standard but it just shows how poor the LOI standard has dropped to , also Muller going to a non league team , he was doing ok recently in midfield, could play several positions but maybe still has to figure out his best position.
Shedtillwedie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Shedtillwedie »

Carlile has assembled a very good squad and has had many new investments from the USA, not pretend investments like from our travel agent owner.

Cashflow issues and particular issues with the revenue are seemingly killing us. A sizeable tax liability left behind by Stats and Fastfix.

An admin error led to at least 5/6 players not being paid last week. The FAI is involved

Rumours of suppliers not being paid because we cannot afford it are very worrying and will have license implications if true

I like Jon Daly but like many more before him, he has been sold an absolute pup
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Let's all call a spade a spade here. Realistically from day one we all knew ajnscough didn't have the financial clout on his own to own this club and move it forward. So why did he invest? Why did the previous ownership sell the club to him.