2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: 2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by mike »

I think DFC are due a development fee for Mullen, no idea how much. James R posted something about this last week in a reply on X.

3 x u14's also joined the club this week from Portmarnock, but we need to be so much better at transfers and making money out of outgoing players.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Ye they would have received compensation think it would've been small enough too maybe 40/50k but better than nothing I suppose
Robbiedundalk2
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Robbiedundalk2 »

mike wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:07 pm I think DFC are due a development fee for Mullen, no idea how much. James R posted something about this last week in a reply on X.

3 x u14's also joined the club this week from Portmarnock, but we need to be so much better at transfers and making money out of outgoing players.
One who's family is from Dundalk and attends games, hope he makes it
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Robbiedundalk2 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:18 pm
mike wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:07 pm I think DFC are due a development fee for Mullen, no idea how much. James R posted something about this last week in a reply on X.

One who's family is from Dundalk and attends games, hope he makes it
What are the names of the 3 lads?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

mike wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:51 am Does anyone know the length of time for the latest batch of recruits apart from the loan signings, who are all to June?

On the loans, remember it can often suit both parties for then to extend to full season, but nothing obv confirmed.

On the perm deals, club paid a fee for Gullan, probably Walker too so you would imagine these are min 2 years or the 1+1 deal, was Munro also bought? I think the Dutch guy is one a one year deal. Mahon, again was a fee paid or was he a free agent, wonder what his term is, hopefully more than 1 season as both him and Gullan could be the real finds of the season in my view, High also but he is only on loan.

I just wonder might we see Nathan again either in June or next season if contractual 'challenges' can be more ironed out, that said hopefully he can get fixed up in the UK for his own sake, I met him briefly a few times, lovely fella and most will wish him the very best.
No I don't see Nathan Sheppard playing for Dundalk again , maybe with a change of agent.. He had a good first season ,but didn't impress last season. Maybe English clubs noticed that as he is finding it hard to get a club.

Hopefully he gets sorted with something as the longer a player Is out of the game the less options they will have.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Not the correct thread, but we drew 1-1 with UCD today. Gullan opened the scoring for us.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:40 pm Not the correct thread, but we drew 1-1 with UCD today. Gullan opened the scoring for us.
Ryan O'Kane with assist accoding to FAI connect app .. Bradshaw and McGuckin also started as per FAI
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

I take my hat off to Andy Burton he has done the near impossible and has every Dundalk fan agreeing on something. It's not often we all unite on an issue and Andy's actions have really eliminated any sort of loss or annoyance at losing Sheppard who is a pretty solid keeper.

What a monumental cock up from him though. If Sheppard stayed the season, he would have a client goalkeeper entering his mid 20s with over 100 games under his belt, European experience, won his clubs player of the year award and it's pretty highly rated. He could be clubless now until the summer unless someone like Bohs takes a punt on him. I genuinely hope he gets sorted though as he always gave his all for us and from all accounts is a good guy too.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Sheps has been very badly advised. Burton has shown a total lack of professionalism during the whole process, he gambled on going public with things in hope that fans would kick however forgot that Sheps didnt have a great second season. Fan pressure didnt develop, meaning Sheps is now hoping for scraps to come his way. I hope the lad gets sorted with a good club, however he should be looking for a new agent as soon as his contract is up with the current agency.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

It seemed to be ignorant not just to Dundalk ,but to the league in general. Let him play in Ireland until the summer and onto the bigger fish. I heard Burton speaking on the Press Box pod before and it was a lot of waffle.
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

Wait, an agent only factoring what was in it for him and not the 'client'?? Never .. Sooner they're outlawed the better
Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco »

Oriel O'Shea wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:32 am
Shoco wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:45 pm
Oriel O'Shea wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:41 pm

These two posts sum it up. Two massive F*k ups from football side of club with Emmanuel Adegboyega firstly and now mullen. But maybe cash wasn't there to sign them from previous ownership. Hopefully Mulligan (Pro Contract) is the end of the shortsightedness.
But why is it a massive pillowcase up from the club with Mullen? You can't force a young player with good potential to sign a contract no matter what you offer them. If they have interest from abroad why would they tie themselves down to a contract?
You can't force any player but you can spot potential in young players + you can offer multiple young players a contract before teams come looking and you can make it realistic to give them the opportunity to play in the starting 11. Naj Razi had Spanish clubs tracking him and still Rovers convinced him to sign a pro contract, played 6 times for the club and is now shipped on for 450k. It is a F*k up that Mullen is going to the same level and Dundalk are getting 0 in return. It is either a poor reflection on our last ownership not willing to sign players or poor reflection on our selling a vision skills from Garts/Stevie. Mullen should have been offered a pro contract at 16/17.

Cork got 100ks plus for three young players last year (Hefferen, Umeh) all on pro contracts Bohs got money for Devoy, sligo for Johnny Kenny and DROGHEDA for our own youth player in Adegboyega who was pipped right under our noses. A massive F*k up and this is just another example.
I heard he was offered deals but his family didn’t want him to sign anything long term
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Players are always advised by agents to sign a one year contract if they can get away with it. They can then demand a bigger signing on fee because the new club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee. In the case of Adegboyega it's worth remembering that Drogheda needed a centre half. It would have made no sense for Dundalk to waste part of their budget paying a starting wage to someone who would have spent a lot of the season on the bench.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

oldfogey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:56 am Players are always advised by agents to sign a one year contract if they can get away with it. They can then demand a bigger signing on fee because the new club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee. In the case of Adegboyega it's worth remembering that Drogheda needed a centre half. It would have made no sense for Dundalk to waste part of their budget paying a starting wage to someone who would have spent a lot of the season on the bench.
Think there lies a lot of the problem for me in recent years. Young lads never seem to get a chance, and if you don't give them a chance you never know if they are up to the task. There's no pathway to first team football for any of them really. Mullen the exception to the rule. Hope that changes, see young Sean Keogh has just been given a contract and Luke Mulligan also a prospect I just hope they end up seeing some minutes instead of sitting on the bench and seeking a go at a first team elsewhere come november
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

oldfogey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:56 am Players are always advised by agents to sign a one year contract if they can get away with it. They can then demand a bigger signing on fee because the new club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee. In the case of Adegboyega it's worth remembering that Drogheda needed a centre half. It would have made no sense for Dundalk to waste part of their budget paying a starting wage to someone who would have spent a lot of the season on the bench.
Ryan O Kane signed a three year deal initially with the club back under P6, Razi at rovers signed a contract till 25/26, so not always the case. Its a case of not being shortsighted and offering young players deals and convincing them they have a future stepping stone here at DFC. Why can't we have done this with Senan Mullen at 16 or 17? We are talking about part time pro at 90€ a week or full time pro at €280 for 16/17 year olds and in return you get in the mixer for Fees 10 fold of the wage offered.

Cork City have managed to afford this and took in €200k in 2023 and more will likely come in 2024 from there crop of underage pro footballers. I really don't know how you can back up an approach of not doing this. Then as a club you'd like to actually play some youth each week and give them the spotlight + not rely on 4 loans from the UK each window which is as much as a lottery. We finished joint 5th behind Shelbourne last year a team full of Dublin youngsters.

The club have signed Luke Mulligan and hopefully sign plenty more from the game Monday night. And I've just seen we have signed Keogh, good statement of intent from the new owner lets hope this is marked change in our approach