Pat Hoban October 2023

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Pat Hoban October 2023

Post by Philistine »

Alanek wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:13 pm
Towelie wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:44 am First for players should be ran from the club. Unfortunately young Ryan O'Kane is with them.
Of the players that have gone to rovers or Derry .how many were represented by the super fella ,if any .
Common knowledge that Gannon wanted to stay before being ransomed to Rovers. Tbf, that's the only of his clients that went to Rvs or Derry afaik? .. But same FFP agent was somewhat responsible for a lot of the garbage who showed up in 2021, beginning of the end of the DFC success story. Perhaps why he's held in such distain by DFC support? .. Not that he will care or even should care ..
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:21 pm To be fair that's his job. He isn't there to get the best for Dundalk or any club nor is he against any club. His role as an agent is to do the best he can for his client. That's life. The player doesn't have to move, but if he is getting a 2 yr deal on more money or the same only in sterling as opposed to 1 year here. What would any of us do?
Agree with this to some degree, it's not the agent's job to appease DFC or its fans. As an earlier post stated, Pat is a big boy now going on 33 and should be able to make up his own mind which he did. Not sure how I feel about him playing the victim here as it was his call and not the club's. Doesn't sit right with me at all I'm afraid ... Talk of booing him however is very much OTT in my view .
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

seand wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:08 pm It'll be like seeing Gannon in a R***rs jersey. (Not that Gannon in a Shels jersey is going to be an more palatable this season.)
Gannon is from Dublin. Its like he lived his whole life in Dundalk.
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

From The42 ...

Hoban wasn’t prepared to dwell too much on the circumstances surrounding his Dundalk exit but did open up on

“There was no point in me staying. That’s all I’m going to say really. There was no point at all where I was going to be staying at Oriel Park. I was told what I was told 11 weeks ago and that was it. I’m a Derry City footballer now and that’s all my focus is on.

Notice how he's never actually gone into any specific detail about what he was actually 'told' by DFC ...
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

Richie87 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:42 pm
seand wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:08 pm It'll be like seeing Gannon in a R***rs jersey. (Not that Gannon in a Shels jersey is going to be an more palatable this season.)
Gannon is from Dublin. Its like he lived his whole life in Dundalk.
I'm not sure what your point is here Richie. I don't care where any Dundalk player is from, I loved Sean Gannon and it was like a dagger to the heart seeing him in Rovers gear in 2021. Likewise it'll kill me to see Galwegian Hoban in any other colours.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

I’ve never booed any of our ex players , well apart from Neal Fenn and maybe Finn!, but I won’t be clapping them either like a good few in the stand do when they’re subbed!
Worst for me was Gannon too!!
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Lads can someone here close this thread. Thanks Pat for all your years of service ... off to Derry with you. Hope you are getting more money, get to play in Europe and enjoy your time up there .... if people are honest in here, if someone was to offer them more money to change their jobs they would most likely take it.

On another note .... how long does SOD get if he doesn't get off to a good start?
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Just before the thread is closed, here is Pat's statement on leaving, thanking the fans and the squad.

It's quite obvious that a lot of thought went into this.

https://twitter.com/PaHoban10/status/17 ... kLDDw&s=19
Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 »

Pepsi wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:56 pm Lads can someone here close this thread. Thanks Pat for all your years of service ... off to Derry with you. Hope you are getting more money, get to play in Europe and enjoy your time up there .... if people are honest in here, if someone was to offer them more money to change their jobs they would most likely take it.

On another note .... how long does SOD get if he doesn't get off to a good start?
Here’s an idea, leave it open…and just don’t read it🙄 if it does close how will you get an answer to your question?….10 games
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

I don't see any reason to close the thread, it's not like it's degenerated into a slanging match or anything. If you don't want to read the conspiracy theories or unfounded rumours the story has inevitably generated look away.
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

O'Donnell pretty much confirms it was a fall out between himself and Hoban.
We had a sit down in person for a coffee before the game with Bohemians in October and had a chat about many different things,” he said. “There was a lot of uncertainty at the time, and we talked about where the club was at, and where we felt the club was going.

“I felt it was an amicable and constructive meeting but from media reports in the days that followed, Pat came out of it and felt that it was the end of the line for him at Dundalk.

“Once a player has that in their head, it was best for both parties to start afresh and find an agreement that was fair for both.

“The prerequisite for a team trying to achieve goals and win trophies is for everyone to have an all-for-one, one for all mentality and to be striving towards the same goal.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:16 am O'Donnell pretty much confirms it was a fall out between himself and Hoban.
We had a sit down in person for a coffee before the game with Bohemians in October and had a chat about many different things,” he said. “There was a lot of uncertainty at the time, and we talked about where the club was at, and where we felt the club was going.

“I felt it was an amicable and constructive meeting but from media reports in the days that followed, Pat came out of it and felt that it was the end of the line for him at Dundalk.

“Once a player has that in their head, it was best for both parties to start afresh and find an agreement that was fair for both.

“The prerequisite for a team trying to achieve goals and win trophies is for everyone to have an all-for-one, one for all mentality and to be striving towards the same goal.
Lets hope that cup of coffee doesnt see him also having to leave Dundalk due to bad results or a lack of a goalscorer.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

I think that confirms that the deal between Pat and Derry was well advanced before new owner came in and it was hard to reverse. Seems to be rumours that change in style of play was the reason but i'd imagine it came down to budget tbh and that change of system might have just been the excuse. Its been dragged out but i just hope that's the end of the noise now and people move on was never gonna work going forward anyway based on what both have now said publicly
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

Pepsi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:25 am
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:16 am O'Donnell pretty much confirms it was a fall out between himself and Hoban.

Lets hope that cup of coffee doesnt see him also having to leave Dundalk due to bad results or a lack of a goalscorer.
So Stevie has now confirmed that they had an 'amicable' chat basically telling Hoban he can leave, then Pat went public probably out of disbelief and to advertise himself.

So this is when the 'whole situation was cooked up'.. Look away philistine. Was this chat from Stevie OD prompted by talks of reduced budgets under the last ownership???Probably but still some statement from Stevie to move Pat on.Nothing to do with Garts it seems. Lets hope we get it right in whoever we sign. Classy statement from our greatest ever goalscorer gut wrenching to see him in a derry top.
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

Oriel O'Shea wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:07 pm
Pepsi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:25 am

So Stevie has now confirmed that they had an 'amicable' chat basically telling Hoban he can leave, then Pat went public probably out of disbelief and to advertise himself.

So this is when the 'whole situation was cooked up'.. Look away philistine. Was this chat from Stevie OD prompted by talks of reduced budgets under the last ownership???Probably but still some statement from Stevie to move Pat on.Nothing to do with Garts it seems. Lets hope we get it right in whoever we sign. Classy statement from our greatest ever goalscorer gut wrenching to see him in a derry top.
Cooked up insofar as whoever you actually reckon set up the interview with a tabloid newspaper ..

Anyone with half a brain cell already knows there was a meeting between Pat and SOD for flip sake. Not such common knowledge is the fact super agent stirred the pot massively which actually very nearly backfired on Pat as there wasn't the flurry of suitable offers they maybe expected. A lot not adding up here as SOD says the meeting happened just before Bohs game but the cat was out of the bag even before then as Supporters club had it up. Ofc, I very much doubt it was Pat mouthing off in town about the situation. Only silver lining to this is that barring young O'Kane, this fool will have no further connection to the club although Burton isn't much better

What I find interesting in SOD's comments is the all-for-one bit .. Pat didn't really cover himself in glory at times over the past 2-3 yrs