Pat Hoban October 2023

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Pat Hoban October 2023

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Towelie wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:01 am Worst case scenario is that one of O'Kane, Durrant or Horgan get repurposed into a centre forward. Former U21 player Joe Mason would be a good pick up on a free transfer, loads of experience.
None of them remotely resemble a 9 imo, its not fifa
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Lets do a quick recap of what we do know, and that's mostly from the PH camp
  • The club was looking at a reduced buget for 2024 (pre Ainscough)
  • They were looking to cut costs
  • Hoban was advised he could look elsewhere(maybe on a free?)
  • He had a year left on his contract
A player is only worth what other clubs are willing to offer him. Was he upset because no-one else thought he was worth what Dundalk were paying him? If he was that good most clubs should have been queueing at his agent's door. This isn't the first time Hoban has tried to use the supporters to get him the contract that he wants.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

oldfogey wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:23 am Lets do a quick recap of what we do know, and that's mostly from the PH camp
  • The club was looking at a reduced buget for 2024 (pre Ainscough)
  • They were looking to cut costs
  • Hoban was advised he could look elsewhere(maybe on a free?)
  • He had a year left on his contract
A player is only worth what other clubs are willing to offer him. Was he upset because no-one else thought he was worth what Dundalk were paying him? If he was that good most clubs should have been queueing at his agent's door. This isn't the first time Hoban has tried to use the supporters to get him the contract that he wants.
We don't even know if point 1 and 2 on that timeline is correct and we're all speculating. Could even have been as simple as O'Donnell is looking to change our style of play or he feels that we can get better value for the wages paid for Hoban.

It's a gamble keeping him as he has picked up a couple of injuries over past couple of seasons and some might argue getting cash + a massive wage off the books is good business, however I feel it's a bigger gamble letting him go as the market for decent strikers is very shallow and he definitly has more to offer.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Towelie »

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:19 am
Towelie wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:01 am Worst case scenario is that one of O'Kane, Durrant or Horgan get repurposed into a centre forward. Former U21 player Joe Mason would be a good pick up on a free transfer, loads of experience.
I never said that they did, I'm saying that's what we're going to be left with, we'll have a surplus of wingers if the rumours are anything to go by.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:19 am
I don't think Hoban playes as a traditional number 9 though or at least hasn't over the past couple of seasons. He comes very deep a lot of the time to get the ball opening up play. I know a lot of time I was frustrated as we'd be in a great postion after Hoban playing it to one of the wingers and full backs and then there was nobody in the box to receive a cross.

However your point still stands. None of the players mentioned above could play in that role.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Oriel O'Shea wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:18 am
carrickfan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:09 pm Going to join the speculation on this with my own theory… Hobans agent pushes for a new deal in October in wind of investor paying Horgan wages and potential euro qualification at that time, previous owners get vexed as PH has been the highest paid player in the club over the 7-8 seasons and they feel we’ve looked after you this length go FO with your demands, this is communicated to PH via SOD to this affect. Agent in PH ear turns story around advising your not wanted I’ll get you a better deal at Derry, probably because the same agent has taken the ex DFC players to Derry in the last two seasons. I agree with the Derry lowball theory once BA said he’s an DFC player, and they know the only way it wil be resolved is with a fee or player swop, or he goes to another club in the Irish league. Id be very surprised if Pat did return to Dundalk unless BA comes up with a bonus for a 12 month extension which helps him save face.
Daryl Horgan surely on a good bit more then PH? Came from Championship wage contract at Wycombe..

Striker will likely have to come from UK or Europe now, which is unknown, plenty of bad examples, Sligo are a good example last few years with Max Mata & Kenna from Falkirk. Big statement by SOD or Garts, whoever made the decision that he was eligible to leave.
Apparently club don't pay horgan's wages.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:44 am
carrickfan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:09 pm Going to join the speculation on this with my own theory… Hobans agent pushes for a new deal in October in wind of investor paying Horgan wages and potential euro qualification at that time, previous owners get vexed as PH has been the highest paid player in the club over the 7-8 seasons and they feel we’ve looked after you this length go FO with your demands, this is communicated to PH via SOD to this affect. Agent in PH ear turns story around advising your not wanted I’ll get you a better deal at Derry, probably because the same agent has taken the ex DFC players to Derry in the last two seasons. I agree with the Derry lowball theory once BA said he’s an DFC player, and they know the only way it wil be resolved is with a fee or player swop, or he goes to another club in the Irish league. Id be very surprised if Pat did return to Dundalk unless BA comes up with a bonus for a 12 month extension which helps him save face.
Daryl Horgan surely on a good bit more then PH? Came from Championship wage contract at Wycombe..

Striker will likely have to come from UK or Europe now, which is unknown, plenty of bad examples, Sligo are a good example last few years with Max Mata & Kenna from Falkirk. Big statement by SOD or Garts, whoever made the decision that he was eligible to leave.
Think Gerry Malone reported that a while back, if its true, would we not be better accepting outside money into actual improving the ground/academy/community etc? Strange one, and may sum up the last ownership, gamble for the on field success for big European money.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

I can see the logic accepting 30k if it is that, for a 32 yo who has had injuries, that said I would have kept him, but the dogs in the street knew he was going.

What I can't understand is, why after almost 3 months is there no one signed to replace him in a no 9 role?
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

With everyone going mad on here, has anyone even considered that maybe the move was driven by the player himself and not the club?
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

Philistine wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:33 pm With everyone going mad on here, has anyone even considered that maybe the move was driven by the player himself and not the club?
As its been widely reported from different journalists/Newspapers JR, DMcD, that the club informed him he was surplus and the club were very much open to him leaving?

Why wouldn't the player drive for a favourable move after that? The club opened the door for this to happen.
Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk10 »

Oriel O'Shea wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:43 pm
Philistine wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:33 pm With everyone going mad on here, has anyone even considered that maybe the move was driven by the player himself and not the club?
As its been widely reported from different journalists/Newspapers JR, DMcD, that the club informed him he was surplus and the club were very much open to him leaving?

Why wouldn't the player drive for a favourable move after that? The club opened the door for this to happen.
It was widely reported that Hoban said he was told he was surplus. I don't think the club told anyone that.
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

Didn't that early report from Indo say that full power sat with Hoban if he wanted to stay or not? Another report suggested he was forcing his way out back then too. Can't blame a player/agent for driving up interest in themselves/client here but this appears to have backfired majorly because it's hard to imagine Derry are paying much more for a 32yo than we were weekly and probably only on a 2 year deal too (was on a 1 year deal here). You also can't ignore SOD/DFC's pov here, they have to free up wages for a possible replacement as soon as with season starting in a month. Hoban made it painfully clear (inappropriately imo) that he wanted to leave so you can hardly blame the club for wanting to offload him asap? Big loss however unless we can prize a decent replacement ..
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

Dundalk10 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:23 pm

It was widely reported that Hoban said he was told he was surplus. I don't think the club told anyone that.
Club actually confirmed as much .
AMC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by AMC »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:44 am

Weird one if true. Any idea who does pay his wages?
Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek »

Yes I do .
I reckon he wants to finish on a high.(and get more money) .staying at oriel he knows that’s not going to happen .so over a game of snooker or a game of darts with the auld super fella , a plan was put in place months ago to get out .well orchestrated.
I’m a big Hoban fan,and I wish him all the best .
I’ll just ask ,for the amount of goals and injuries he had last season ,is the big hullabaloo worth it.
Ps remember this site is for opinions so go easy with the reply’s .😉