Pat Hoban October 2023

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Pat Hoban October 2023

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Can we just delete this thread and move on with our lives now?
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

Glad to see some common sense being posted here today, not the usual one-sided anti club crap also seen on Twitter most of the time. Hoban forced himself out, not the club, end of story
Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek »

Also thought Duffy and mceleaney owed us nothing ,plenty of leagues and euro runs with them .I hate hearing them getting abuse from the SHED wen they play against us .At least them 2 lads were going home,my point is I wonder will Pat receive the same abuse or did he and the super fella play a blinder and get the shed on side .
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

Alanek wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:43 pm Also thought Duffy and mceleaney owed us nothing ,plenty of leagues and euro runs with them .I hate hearing them getting abuse from the SHED wen they play against us .At least them 2 lads were going home,my point is I wonder will Pat receive the same abuse or did he and the super fella play a blinder and get the shed on side .
They both played a blinder to be fair ... Peaked when Hoban done the interview with a sob story to a local reporter who's made a habit of bashing the club at every given opportunity. Top marks from Pat and his little accomplice
Lilywhites-1903Elite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Lilywhites-1903Elite »

Alanek wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:43 pm Also thought Duffy and mceleaney owed us nothing ,plenty of leagues and euro runs with them .I hate hearing them getting abuse from the SHED wen they play against us .At least them 2 lads were going home,my point is I wonder will Pat receive the same abuse or did he and the super fella play a blinder and get the shed on side .
+1.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Did PH force his way out or not seems to be the question .
Well yes and no in my opinion.
It seems that SS and AC told him he could leave ( presumably to save money). Think all fans were in shock with that decision, especially as he’s under contract.
However, BA takes over and states publicly that budget is the same as last season and that he expected PH to stay. That’s a green light for him to stay. He could have turned to JR and said “ New owner wants me to stay and I want to finish my career here like I always thought I would”.
Pat decided not to do that and instead plow on with leaving the club. Downing tools when you are under contract leaves LOI clubs helpless. We’re not Man City who can put the player in the stands and still afford his wages.
He wasn’t slow to talk to the journalist in November to explain his side of the story. I wonder if he’ll give us , the fans, an explanation as to why he wants to leave even though the new owner has stated that he wanted Pat to stay?
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

I’d say you’re spot on there Martin was told he could leave likely for budget reasons then change if ownership came but talks well advanced at that stage and he’s decided there was no turning back. We’ll never know the truth as fans but that’s my read of it too
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:34 pm Did PH force his way out or not seems to be the question .
It seems that SS and AC told him he could leave ( presumably to save money). Think all fans were in shock with that decision, especially as he’s under contract.
However, BA takes over and states publicly that budget is the same as last season and that he expected PH to stay. That’s a green light for him to stay. He could have turned to JR and said “ New owner wants me to stay and I want to finish my career here like I always thought I would”.
Pat decided not to do that and instead plow on with leaving the club. Downing tools when you are under contract leaves LOI clubs helpless. We’re not Man City who can put the player in the stands and still afford his wages.
He wasn’t slow to talk to the journalist in November to explain his side of the story. I wonder if he’ll give us , the fans, an explanation as to why he wants to leave even though the new owner has stated that he wanted Pat to stay?
I don't blame Pat for any of this. I actually don't think there is anyone to blame. It's just football.

Pat was told by O'Donnell he wasn't in his plans for next season, we are speculating it is for financial reasons but could be footballing reasons. Pat has his mind made up about leaving and starts talking to clubs.

I've no doubts that Derry are going to throw a bag of cash at him and this could be his last big contract so I don't think any of us can blame him for not accepting.

We still don't even know if Hoban has any say in this matter as it could be completely O'Donnells decision.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:34 pm Did PH force his way out or not seems to be the question .
Likely not done because he made the decision himself long ago to get a better contract elsewhere and tried to spin the whole "club don't want me" horseshit?
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Louth4sam wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:47 pm
I don't blame Pat for any of this. I actually don't think there is anyone to blame. It's just football.

Pat was told by O'Donnell he wasn't in his plans for next season, we are speculating it is for financial reasons but could be footballing reasons. Pat has his mind made up about leaving and starts talking to clubs.

I've no doubts that Derry are going to throw a bag of cash at him and this could be his last big contract so I don't think any of us can blame him for not accepting.

We still don't even know if Hoban has any say in this matter as it could be completely O'Donnells decision.
I don’t agree.
He signed a contract and should have stayed . Same with Chris Shields .
If they want out fine, but don’t expect me to give them a warm reception when they come back. ⚫️⚪️
carrickfan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by carrickfan »

Pat Hoban is a club legend, undisputed.
The cause of this situation lies with the agent, period.
In the clubs defence he was the best paid player of the past 7 seasons, it took a lot of personal resources from previous owners to bring him back from the UK when it wasn’t working out for him and to keep him hear post P6. I can understand the grievance of the owners when an agent is pushing for improved or extended terms considering
dundog21
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by dundog21 »

carrickfan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:22 am
The cause of this situation lies with the agent, period.
He's a bit old to be hiding behind his agent don't you think.
Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Towelie »

First for players should be ran from the club. Unfortunately young Ryan O'Kane is with them.
Thesquareend
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Thesquareend »

I’ve seen them all rattle the onion bag for years and young Hoban for me was the best.Never pass you on the street for a chat.The disrespect in this thread is sad to see and the conspiracy agenda that they have probably speaks volumes.
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

Thesquareend wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:07 am I’ve seen them all rattle the onion bag for years and young Hoban for me was the best.Never pass you on the street for a chat.The disrespect in this thread is sad to see and the conspiracy agenda that they have probably speaks volumes.
Totally agree. Quite literally the clubs greatest ever goalscorer, done unbelievable work locally, raising more then 20k for charities just a couple of months ago, putting the clubs community work to shame really. A club legend. And there are people talking about how they will boo him because he left after being told he wasn't wanted and could leave at 32. Jesus.