Stephen Kenny

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Stephen Kenny

Post by Hull White »

Just wondering what the general feeling at home is about the FAI ‘s decision for not renewing the Kings contract? For what it is worth, I think it could be a real, “ Be careful what you wish for moment”. From his work for us, there is no doubt that anyone could work any harder than Stephen has for Ireland. I am of the belief that Sir Alex, Pep or Klopp would not be able to get a tune out of the current players, they are simply not good enough at world level. We are selecting from League 1. League 2 with a few Premier league players thrown in so we are expected to perform giant killings in almost every game. He has blooded a number of youngsters who will probably go on to be top players and future managers will reap the benefits of the experience gained under Stephen and that will be his true legacy and I also believe that we have improved at underage levels so that is also good going forward. I am also not inspired by some of the names bandied about as possible replacements , ie, Carsley, Hughton, Lennon, Poyet etc. two questions for everyone? 1. Would you have Stephen back if he would come to Dundalk? And 2. Who would you all like to manage Ireland?
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Stephen Kenny

Post by GC. »

I’d have Kenny back in a heartbeat. 2 seasons of O’Donnell are enough to see he isn’t the right man for the job.

Ireland is a poison chalice. No matter what is done, we are cursed with a poor selection of players partially due to the lack of will from the FAI to support football in Ireland and farm out development of players to other nations.

I think they the youth structures that Kenny has implemented should assist the national team down the line. However, in Ireland the FAI, journalists, pundits, and many supporters don’t have the ambition to improve. They just want hoofball and negative tactics.
Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White »

1. I would love to see Stephen back with us.
2. I'd like to see Chris Hughton given the chance, but I agree with you in saying that we just don't have the players to make any realistic impression on world or European football.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

1. Bring him back, I will give him the bar of the bike into Oriel if needs be from the Rock. Manager, Director of Football ... CEO feel he could fill any role and lead the club forward.

2. Who can they afford to pay without government funding is the question. Chris Hughton would be my choice, however would he want it with the state the FAI are in.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Hughton is managing Ghana and they have the AFON in January. He spoke before about wanting to manage Ireland, but the FAI are hardly in position to buy out his contract.
Steve Bruce threw his name in the mix. He would have been good 5 or 10 years, last few jobs very poor. Lee Carsley will probaly stay with England u21s. I don't think Roy Keane would be the answer, and hasn't managed since 2011.

Could see Kenny taking a club job somewhere random like Sweden or Norway,
southerncomfort
Reserves
Reserves

Post by southerncomfort »

bite his hand off

If we could get a manger of sk's quality only an idiot would say no to Kenny

it's strange how excited we get about ex players with a couple of coaching badges. kenny is super
problem is , with the current ownership clown show ; no manager of his calibre would consider it
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

Graham Potter would be a decent shout for Ireland. Forget the Chelsea debacle because the club were in a mess. He was good with both Swansea and Brighton and is particularly good working with kids.
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

Graham Potter would be a decent shout for Ireland. Forget the Chelsea debacle because the club were in a mess. He was good with both Swansea and Brighton and is particularly good working with kids.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

A decent shout but couldn't see that happening. He turned down the Sweden National team job during the week as he wants to get back to club management.
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

Richie87 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:25 pm A decent shout but couldn't see that happening. He turned down the Sweden National team job during the week as he wants to get back to club management.
Ah I forgot about that.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

He was successful earlier in his managerial career as a Club manager with Ostersund. Probably how the link came with the National team.

Whatever about Ireland not doing better, Sweden should be doing better with some of the players they have like Isak and kulusevski. They won't be at the Euros or Norway
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

He was a winger at Southampton back in the day when we lived there. He was pretty good but was kept out of a regular start by a certain Matt Le Tissier!
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Looks like Carsley has turned down a 4 year deal to wait for the England job..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

The media seemed to be getting ahead of themselves, Carsley had the job and now it looks like he won't be taking it.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Hull White wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:25 am Just wondering what the general feeling at home is about the FAI ‘s decision for not renewing the Kings contract? For what it is worth, I think it could be a real, “ Be careful what you wish for moment”. From his work for us, there is no doubt that anyone could work any harder than Stephen has for Ireland. I am of the belief that Sir Alex, Pep or Klopp would not be able to get a tune out of the current players, they are simply not good enough at world level. We are selecting from League 1. League 2 with a few Premier league players thrown in so we are expected to perform giant killings in almost every game. He has blooded a number of youngsters who will probably go on to be top players and future managers will reap the benefits of the experience gained under Stephen and that will be his true legacy and I also believe that we have improved at underage levels so that is also good going forward. I am also not inspired by some of the names bandied about as possible replacements , ie, Carsley, Hughton, Lennon, Poyet etc. two questions for everyone? 1. Would you have Stephen back if he would come to Dundalk? And 2. Who would you all like to manage Ireland?
There is some young players coming through. A couple of players playing abroad like Jake O Brien at Lyon, Festy Ebosele at Udinese. They might have been selecting League 1 players a few years ago when Ogbene was there, but most of the Squad is either championship or Premier League.

Michael O Neill got Northern Ireland to the Euros in his first spell and unlucky in a world cup play off. A new manager can do better then what Stephen Kenny done. He had some poor results against the lower nations.