Squad 2024

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Squad 2024

Post by Louth4sam »

superman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:05 pm Hoping that we see a team with a bit of Identity from the start of the season, starting with just being tough to beat and with a bit of balance in our starting 11.

Under O'Donnell we have changed our 'Identity' as a team far too often, and strangely in the mid-season we see a complete slump where we go Kamikaze defending and totally stale going forward.

Kind of feel that the development (or lack) of for either Muller and Annesley will be the key bellwether of how our season will pan out. Both now had a full season of senior football under their belts and are not that young anymore. They need to kick on for both their own careers and for the club - not only for where we finish, but also for the success of the transfer policy under SOD/Garts.
So strange going into a season with no clue if we will be battling for Europe or battling against relegation. There is always a bit of optimism at this time of the season even if sometimes it is misguided, and where I'm finding mine is, outside of Rovers, Derry and at a stretch Pats most teams are around the same level or weaker than than they were last season. If and it's a big if we can perform as good as last season we should be ok.

Two of my biggest criticisms of how we played last season were we moved the ball far too slowly and we have a very weak belly. It looks from what I've seen and heard, O'Donnell is trying to address these issues.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Shelbourne had made steady signings, but nothing really stand out. Will Jarvis on a season loan looks good business. He impressed last season after joining during the summer. The Hull owner seems to be still willing to loan players to Shels despite a few digs from Duff.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Club have confirmed Johnson is last in the door, so this is our squad from now until July at least. 26 players in total, some very obviously on the fringes. It's a bigger squad than I thought given that we've no European football. Quietly optimistic that it'll all come together fairly quickly

Goalkeepers:
George Shelvey
Scott Munro

Defenders:
Jamie Walker
Hayden Muller
Andy Boyle
Zak Bradshaw
Archie Davies
Louie Annesley
Luke Mulligan
Mayowa Animasahun
Zak Johnson
Sean Keogh

Midfielders:
Koen Oostenbrink
Robbie Benson
Dara Keane
Paul Doyle
Darryl Horgan
Ryan O'Kane
Sam Durrant
Robbie Mahon
John Mountney
Scott High

Strikers:
Jamie Gullan
Cameron Elliot
Eoin Kenny
Ciaran McGuckin
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

When you think there’s a few didn’t even feature last night I’d be very happy with the squad we’ve put together. To a man they all looked at it even the couple that raised eyebrows when team was announced. Stevie and Garts must be delighted with the recruitment
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Very impressed with Mayowa . There will be some interest in him after last night . We might consider enquiries starting at 5 million . 👍
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:16 am Club have confirmed Johnson is last in the door, so this is our squad from now until July at least. 26 players in total, some very obviously on the fringes. It's a bigger squad than I thought given that we've no European football. Quietly optimistic that it'll all come together fairly quickly

Goalkeepers:
George Shelvey
Scott Munro

Defenders:
Jamie Walker
Hayden Muller
Andy Boyle
Zak Bradshaw
Archie Davies
Louie Annesley
Luke Mulligan
Mayowa Animasahun
Zak Johnson
Sean Keogh

Midfielders:
Koen Oostenbrink
Robbie Benson
Dara Keane
Paul Doyle
Darryl Horgan
Ryan O'Kane
Sam Durrant
Robbie Mahon
John Mountney
Scott High

Strikers:
Jamie Gullan
Cameron Elliot
Eoin Kenny
Ciaran McGuckin
Some on the fringes like Mulligan who is 16 but good to have him involved. And he'll probaly get chances at some stage. Waterford getting potentially 500k for the young striker is what Dundalk should be aiming for
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 71622.html
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Does anyone know the contract length for the new perm players that joined, or can we assume all are on the 1+1 year deal thing?

I think that means the club have the advantage, but if its renewed the player has to get 10 or 20% increase in wages, not sure.

A Transfer fee was paid for Gullan so he has to be 2 years, I think they paid for Walker also.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:42 pm Very impressed with Mayowa . There will be some interest in him after last night . We might consider enquiries starting at 5 million . 👍
He was excellent Johnny, and what a game to throw him into, made one mistake that swipe first half on Gaffney but he grew and grew as the game went on, he's a giant in defence, I'd be having him al day long in with Boyle.

Some may recall his performance, cup QF replay at home to Finn Harps 2021, squad was covid struck, he played alongside Leahy in defence and he was superb in that win, delighted to see his progress, and hats off to SOD for entrusting him in that role.

Not sure many saw the MF partnership of High and Bradshaw either, that worked very well.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

mike wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:00 pm Does anyone know the contract length for the new perm players that joined, or can we assume all are on the 1+1 year deal thing?

I think that means the club have the advantage, but if its renewed the player has to get 10 or 20% increase in wages, not sure.

A Transfer fee was paid for Gullan so he has to be 2 years, I think they paid for Walker also.
Probaly 1 + 1 deals for some of the players. Archie Davies and Annesley joined as 1+ 1 deals last year. Muller was 2

Shelvey down as a 1 year deal https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=72c3a72e ... 2ODQ&ntb=1
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Was trying to find out how long Mayo is signed up for, seemingly this is only until end of November. One thing we have not really done since the SK era is to announce any type of contract extensions mid season, this is one that probably needs to be looked into!

Granted one swallow doesn't make a summer, but that was some performance from the big man on Friday, Gaffney has a really tough game up against him, he never gave him a minute.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

mike wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:09 pm Was trying to find out how long Mayo is signed up for, seemingly this is only until end of November. One thing we have not really done since the SK era is to announce any type of contract extensions mid season, this is one that probably needs to be looked into!

Granted one swallow doesn't make a summer, but that was some performance from the big man on Friday, Gaffney has a really tough game up against him, he never gave him a minute.
They should be putting him on a 2-3 year deal. He has proven he can play at the level and if he keeps it up, it wont be long before others come tapping him up. Contract is the only way to secure the interests of the club .... if someone else wants him they have to pay what the club want. Should be a standard procedure, lets hope BA is on the ball with this coming from the background he does.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Exactly Pepsi, 2 or 3 year deal seems the sensible choice, for christ sake what is the worst that can happen, he is our player for 3 more seasons ! Get it done guys.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

They'll probaly extend it during the season. He has been totally out of the picture for the past few seasons for whatever reasons, after a few good showings in 21,.

Galway will be more direct then Shamrock Rovers, lots of crosses into the box. It will be a good test for Mayo and the defence.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

WHY does everyone assume that it's the clubs fault that Mayo is only signed up to the end of this season? I have zero knowledge on this but it wouldn't be the first time an agent has advised a player to hold off and see what happens at the end of the season. The leech won't get a percentage of a transfer, but will pick up a tidy sum out of a signing on fee. Bear in mind as well that a contract extension usually means a wage increase with immediate effect. A bit difficult if SOD has already spent his budget, not to mention the added pressure on the SCP.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

oldfogey wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:29 am WHY does everyone assume that it's the clubs fault that Mayo is only signed up to the end of this season? I have zero knowledge on this but it wouldn't be the first time an agent has advised a player to hold off and see what happens at the end of the season. The leech won't get a percentage of a transfer, but will pick up a tidy sum out of a signing on fee. Bear in mind as well that a contract extension usually means a wage increase with immediate effect. A bit difficult if SOD has already spent his budget, not to mention the added pressure on the SCP.
It's certainly not the club's fault if a player refuses to sign a new/longer contact, but it's 100% the club's fault if we don't offer one. Hopefully now that we seem to have a bit of stability we can start trying to retain our better and more promising players.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020