Squad 2024

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Squad 2024

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Wexford White wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:50 pm
Johnnybegood33 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:36 pm Well done to our management team , excellent performance away to Shels , unlucky not to win .
Its at this time that the Club needs backing & encouragement .
Who was the goalkeeper?
From what I believe 19's keeper first half with barcola playing 2nd half, but stand to be corrected on that.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Yes , I had a VIP ticket . Was the only one on the terrace behind the goals , I had a big black & white flag . Duffer was not happy . The best part was. Garts was serving curry & chips at half time to the lads . They seemed to play much better in the 2nd half after the curry chips. We all retired to the “ Cat ‘ Cage “ after the game , with all the Shels lads . Duffer bought the first round . Very good for P. R.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:57 pm
Johnnybegood33 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:36 pm Well done to our management team , excellent performance away to Shels , unlucky not to win .
Its at this time that the Club needs backing & encouragement .
Who was the goalkeeper?
From what I believe 19's keeper first half with barcola playing 2nd half, but stand to be corrected on that.
100% correct Niall. Barcola impressed in the second half. Would be interesting to see how he copes with regular games, have to admit when I first head it, an Italian came to mind. He had a good pre-season .... lets hope I am proven wrong by Barcola (who I know absolutely nothing about) and the lad turns out to be a top signing.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Pepsi wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:27 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:57 pm

Who was the goalkeeper?
100% correct Niall. Barcola impressed in the second half. Would be interesting to see how he copes with regular games, have to admit when I first head it, an Italian came to mind. He had a good pre-season .... lets hope I am proven wrong by Barcola (who I know absolutely nothing about) and the lad turns out to be a top signing.
Same here, the Italian-Albanian guy who no FD club would have taken, yet he played 4 games in europe, christ even thinking about it gives me nightmares, but on Barcola I have heard good things, hopefully they can put him through paces on Mon-Wed and look to sign him.
Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Towelie »

Barcola is an unknown quantity, but he was well thought of at Lyon at one stage.

Seemed to sign for that Bosnian side as a back up option. A fella on twitter for some reason said he played 8 games and and kept 1 clean sheet, essentially writing him off. In actuality he played 11 and kept 4 clean sheets.

Not sure of the quality of the Bosnian league but there seems to be some money in it judging by the squad values on Transfermarket.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

It's ranked 39th in Ueffa coefficient. https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=26f46e12 ... bmEv&ntb=1
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Lads we should not forget ... clean sheets are not only down to a GK ... if you have an insecure or slow defence in front of you, you will naturally be faced with more shots on target and more goals against. It has to click from front to back .... everyone knowing and completing their jobs for a good keeper to get good stats. Likewise a good striker is only as good as his service.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Robbed of Lilywhites-1903Elite post earlier this month and some blanks filled in.

GK

No 1? Scott Munro
No 2: TBC

Defenders:
Jamie Walker
Hayden Muller
Andy Boyle
Archie Davies
Louie Annersley
Luke Mulligan - Will he get first team squad?
Mayowa Animasahun
Darren Brownlie - Not clear if he is staying?

Midfielders:
Koen Oostenbrink
Robbie Benson
Dara Keane
Paul Doyle
Darryl Horgan
Ryan O'Kane
Sam Durrant
Robbie Mahon
John Mountney

Strikers:
Jamie Gullan
Cameron Elliot
Eoin Kenny
TBC

21 listed above if DB is still in scope, obv need 1 x GK.

Options to come

Greg Sloggett (not sure when UK window closes for that National Lge div, would not see him getting a deal at L2)
Senan Mullen - also on look out for UK club, so not sure there.
Cliftonville player - Stephen Mallon - a bid was made in Jan but I think it was too low.

In summary priority has to be another striker and a GK.

Have I missed anyone out?
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Don't necessarily need another striker. Horgan can play as a number 10. Doubt they will go for Mallon as they have Mahon, Durrant and O Kane as the wingers. John Mountney back to fitness can play wing.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Risky strategy, hoping Gullan stays fit and scores, and if injured is the expectation that Elliot can come in and score, given his goals scored to date. To be fair on Elliot (and Martin) last year, having such a big name up front and only 1 striker, minutes are limited.

Young Kenny def has potential, but can he do it v Rovers / Derry / Pats, not sure he is at level just yet, if he is we are on fire.

I def think another striker should be looked at, unless SOD thinks we can get to summer window.

I think Horgan will play 10 but that's not a striker in our set up, its the McEleney previous role.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

I wonder with the Scottish influence on the Squad this season, Elliot might step up a notch. His chances were limited last season,but showed with the overhead against Cork City he can find the back of the net.
Goliath
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Goliath »

I can't see us getting another striker, I'd expect another Midfielder,centre back and keeper , sloggett and Mullen still haven't been announced at another club so we may get either or both back.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Anyone want to have a stab at how we might line out v Rovers ?

..........................Munro..................

Davies...........Boyle.........Muller.............Walker

Durrant............Benson....Doyle............Mahon

..........................Horgan.........................

.........................Gullan..................

Can't decide who is best to partner Boyle, I've gone with Muller, just not sure Annesely is consistent enough, and might be too early a game for you Mayowa.

Centre MF tricky, he could go with various formations there, but I think you need as many as last year squad as possible, in bold are all new joins.
Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 »

I still can’t understand why mountney was resigned. We couldn’t afford Hoban but can afford to take another chance on a player that has spent most of the last two seasons injured. He’s a good player but he’s now a year older just over several injuries and back playing on a pitch that is in a shocking state. Head scratching stuff.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Durrant and Horgan should be capable of getting the same number of goals as Martin and Daniel Kelly did last season, or more. League of Ireland is quite a low scoring league. Gullan needs to be given time to settle. Afolabi started slow last season, and finished joint top scorer. Georgie Kelly was similar at Bohemiams.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=998bd079 ... lcnM&ntb=1