Re: Shamrock Rovers V Dundalk FC.

Post by holidaysong »

Carrick_Road wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:20 pm My pick

--------Shelvey--------
Davies Boyle Muller Benson
--------Oostenbrink--------
Mahon Horgan Durrant
--------Gullan--------

Doyle and O'Kane could easily slot into the starting XI.
Hearing good things about Zak Johnson and Scott High but dont think they would start just yet.

Dont think anyone will be able to predict the team tho but I feel LB is our weak spot and dont think Walker will be up to it certainly against Rovers.
An interesting approach to only start with 10 men ;-)

I'd go with the same as you, with Doyle in the DM position beside Oostenbrink. Either that or Walker at LB at Benson in the second DM role.
Carrick_Road
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Carrick_Road »

holidaysong wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:08 pm

--------Shelvey--------
Mahon Horgan Durrant
--------Gullan--------

Hearing good things about Zak Johnson and Scott High but dont think they would start just yet.

Dont think anyone will be able to predict the team tho but I feel LB is our weak spot and dont think Walker will be up to it certainly against Rovers.

I'd go with the same as you, with Doyle in the DM position beside Oostenbrink. Either that or Walker at LB at Benson in the second DM role.
Done the same last year first game of the season ffs. Yes, Doyle in beside Oostenbrink.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

I don't think Durrant has started or played much in any pre season, so not sure if he will be ready.

Haven't heard too much reports about Oostenbrink in pre-season, so I wouldn't expect him to start either, my go at the starting xi is :

--------Shelvey--------
Davies....Boyle....Muller... Benson
---------High------Doyle----
Mahon---Horgan------O'Kane
-----------Gullan-----------

Its a fine balance, and I`m trying to go with as many as possible who were here last season for this game as its not a match for trying out next things, there are 4 new joins in this selection, but it obv won't be me picking the side !
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

--------Shelvey--------
Mahon Horgan Durrant
--------Gullan--------

Really challenging to pick a team when we have 11 new signings and have only seen a lot of the players once or twice. I like you, would have Doyle and Oostenbrink in the center but would have Benson in front of them and Horgan and Mahon on the wings. My back four would be Davies, Boyle, Annesley and Walker. Up front is an absolute lottery.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

----------Munro
Davies Boyle Annelsey Muller
----- Benson Doyle-----
Mahon--- Horgan--- O'Kane
---------Gullan
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:22 am

--------Shelvey--------
Mahon Horgan Durrant
--------Gullan--------

Really challenging to pick a team when we have 11 new signings and have only seen a lot of the players once or twice. I like you, would have Doyle and Oostenbrink in the center but would have Benson in front of them and Horgan and Mahon on the wings. My back four would be Davies, Boyle, Annesley and Walker. Up front is an absolute lottery.
Gullan will likely lead the line and be the main man up front . They paid a fee for him so there must be confidence he can perform.

Graham Gartland spoke about Gullan on the Rte pod, 26.35 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbHvVjc ... P8KhQLop-z
Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 »

Is mountney injured? Surely the club captain will start the first game!
colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull »

I've a feeling we might spring a surprise tonight. No one knows, especially Rovers, how we are going to set up on the pitch. Bradley can't work on a lot of tactics when he doesn't know who is playing or what formation we are going to play. I may be clutching at straws here and we may very well be beaten anyway but I'm just looking for any little positive!!! (I do think we will score though!!)
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

colymull wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 am I've a feeling we might spring a surprise tonight. No one knows, especially Rovers, how we are going to set up on the pitch. Bradley can't work on a lot of tactics when he doesn't know who is playing or what formation we are going to play. I may be clutching at straws here and we may very well be beaten anyway but I'm just looking for any little positive!!! (I do think we will score though!!)
Heart over head coly, but for what it's worth I feel the same.

I'm looking at a lot of our signings and on paper they seem excellent and if we were bringing most of them in individually to a settled squad it'd certainly feel like we were strengthening, but we have 11 new signings and 'on paper' doesn't always work out on the pitch. So many unknown quantities and we will need a lot of coaching and luck for things to click. There are major questions marks still over left back, goalkeeping and strikers but these will be answered quickly over the first few games as we have a tough run.

I'm actually feeling more excited about this season than last, it feels like a reboot and the start of something new. Outside of the top 3 I don't think any of the squads assembled are any better than us and it'll come down to our ability on getting all of the new players integrated as quickly as possible.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

I'm worried with 11 new players in and we could have 4 or 5 new guys starting, mistakes or nerves could see us a few goals down early, if that happens it could be a long night.

For me, we absolutely need to be 'at it' from the kick off, water tight and miserable at the back and completely focused, MF need to ugly and intercepting at all times and to not let Rovers get on the ball, keep them under pressure, Gullan if expected he gets the no 9 could be feeding on scraps up front.

I got a text from a Forest fan last night, said Shelvey was a superb signing, so if he plays hopefully he will be well capable.

Really hard one to call, obv hoping we can compete, just hope its a good performance and if as expected they win we will have made them work right to the final whistle.

Lets go for it boys.
Last edited by mike on Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DessieGorman’sTache
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DessieGorman’sTache »

Shelvey
Davies Muller Boyle Annesley Benson
Oostenbrink Doyle
Mahon Horgan
Gullan
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Gonna throw my hat at a starting XI:

Shelvey
Davies Boyle Mayowa Annesley
Muller Oostenbrink
Horgan Mahon O’Kane
Gullan
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

A lot of talk about Rovers , well I am going for a Dundalk win here . Cmon The Town . 👍
Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:39 pm A lot of talk about Rovers , well I am going for a Dundalk win here . Cmon The Town . 👍
Fcuk it ,me too .
2-1 win for us .
Goliath
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Goliath »

I'll go for this 11 but probably miles away 3-5-1-1, one thing I noticed in the training clip is that shelvey looks a far bigger unit than Munro

Shelvey
Mayowa, Boyle, Annesley
Davies, Doyle, Oostenbrink ,High, Benson
Horgan
Gullen
Last edited by Goliath on Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.