Friendlies/Preseason 2024

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Friendlies/Preseason 2024

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Starting XI for tomorrow probably looking a little like this?

Lilly the Panda in nets
Davies Boyle Mayowa Walker
Keane Oostenbrink
Durrant Horgan O'Kane
Elliot
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:34 am Starting XI for tomorrow probably looking a little like this?

Lilly the Panda in nets
Keane Oostenbrink
Durrant Horgan O'Kane
Elliot
Given that it's a friendly - and against Longford - the starting 11 won't really have much relevance. Players' position on the match fitness scale, and an effort to try out some combinations, will have more bearing on who plays, and for how long. I expect to see upwards of 20 players get game time. Result not remotely important. Just watch to see how individuals interact.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

oldfogey wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:34 am
TrevDaRev2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:34 am Starting XI for tomorrow probably looking a little like this?

Lilly the Panda in nets
Keane Oostenbrink
Durrant Horgan O'Kane
Elliot
Given that it's a friendly - and against Longford - the starting 11 won't really have much relevance. Players' position on the match fitness scale, and an effort to try out some combinations, will have more bearing on who plays, and for how long. I expect to see upwards of 20 players get game time. Result not remotely important. Just watch to see how individuals interact.
Is right sorry, keep forgetting its not one of the LSC games. More with a view to Sunday so
White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse »

Interesting pre-season friendly last night. The style of play for the season was evident in the first 60 minutes. The last thirty were chaotic after bulk changes were made.

I though Eoin Kenny looked bright and could develop into a good player. The left back Keogh impressed, while Animasahun looked solid at the back and was good on the ball.

I wasn't impressed by Oostenbrink, his reactions were slow and he will be bullied out of it by many teams. The attacking midfield trio of O'Kane, Horgan, and Mahon looked bright, but their decision making was poor, especially O'Kane.

I couldn't form any impression on the goalkeeper as he had so little to do.

It is also difficult to assess those players who cam on after 60 minutes, but they confirmed to me that I really don't want to see Annesley and Elliot feature much this season. Annesley never gets out of first gear and has the physical presence of a block of jelly. Elliot just runs around looking busy.

I was disappointed with the initial impression of Walker. Is he right footed, because he didn't appear to be able to kick with his left foot?
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

Yes Eoin Kenny looks a far better option than Cammy Elliott. I thought Oostenbrinks passing was fine, physically hes not there , but that is to be expected after no football for 6 or 7 months.
The goalkeeper looked confident with the ball at his feet. He had nothing else to do really.

Right now our best team is probably:
GK
Davies Boyle Annelsey Muller
Benson Doyle
Horgan O'Kane Mahon
Kenny

Hopefully a good striker, another centre half and left back. And obviously two goalkeepers.

I hope Sloggett re-signs , hes a solid premier division midfielder and can drop in at centre half or right back.
BigChief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BigChief »

White Horse wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:17 am Interesting pre-season friendly last night. The style of play for the season was evident in the first 60 minutes. The last thirty were chaotic after bulk changes were made.

I though Eoin Kenny looked bright and could develop into a good player. The left back Keogh impressed, while Animasahun looked solid at the back and was good on the ball.

I wasn't impressed by Oostenbrink, his reactions were slow and he will be bullied out of it by many teams. The attacking midfield trio of O'Kane, Horgan, and Mahon looked bright, but their decision making was poor, especially O'Kane.

I couldn't form any impression on the goalkeeper as he had so little to do.

It is also difficult to assess those players who cam on after 60 minutes, but they confirmed to me that I really don't want to see Annesley and Elliot feature much this season. Annesley never gets out of first gear and has the physical presence of a block of jelly. Elliot just runs around looking busy.

I was disappointed with the initial impression of Walker. Is he right footed, because he didn't appear to be able to kick with his left foot?
Spot on with this summary of last night.

OKane was bright but was trying to hard to do it all himself at times. I like the look of Mahon, seems to be a quality player there.

Keeper seemed very confident with the ball at his feet, nearly too confident at times, but other than that he had no shots to save to hard to judge him.

I too wasnt overly impressed with Walker but i will go with the hope that he is only here a few days and things should start to improve.

Eoin Kenny with the #9 Jersey last night, is he to be our Main Man up top this year. He looked lively last night and will improve even more but you would imagine we will still bring in someone with some experience.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Thought Kenny made some very good runs and took up nice positions probably deserved a goal for his efforts but agree think he'd benefit from some mentoring with a more experienced striker to learn off, he's more of a presence than I thought and could be a decent option off the bench. O'Kane was picking up some nice pockets in the 10 too. Looks like a tweak on last years formation almost a 4231. Thought we struggled to get out through the two 6's at times but was what it was. Young Mulligan didn't look out of place thought some of the other kids done ok too was impressed with young Bradys communication
Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Towelie »

No trialists involved in the LSC game against Malahide. Bit odd.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Towelie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:32 pm No trialists involved in the LSC game against Malahide. Bit odd.
As it is a FAI competition, I doubt trialists are allowed. Bit worrying that we still dont have a keeper signed.
Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Towelie »

Pepsi wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:35 pm
Towelie wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:32 pm No trialists involved in the LSC game against Malahide. Bit odd.
As it is a FAI competition, I doubt trialists are allowed. Bit worrying that we still dont have a keeper signed.
Ah you're right there. Minor brain fart for me there.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

Really hard to judge anyone today as game was played in a storm but thought Mahon looked the best player on the pitch. Very sharp.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

Hoping we see another one or two friendlies arranged. Hard to imagine that after 2 more games we would be in anyway ready for the season.
holidaysong
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by holidaysong »

I was just saying this yesterday at the game, it's too long a wait until 2nd Feb for our next preseason match. You'd have to imagine there'd at least be a behind closed doors game before then.