2024 General Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

inflikted
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2024 General Thread

Post by inflikted »

Pepsi wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:40 pm
inflikted wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:34 pm Louie having a very solid first half for Gibraltar against Wales, playing CB today.
Funny how he cant get a look in with us ....
Let's see if Daly is watching today. He's made a number of key blocks and clearances to keep it 0-0 at HT. Don't think there'll be any complaints with how he's done today.
inflikted
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by inflikted »

And just his luck, looks like he's pulled his hamstring.
Philistine
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Philistine »

Shedtillwedie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:55 am
Philistine wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:50 pm
Shedtillwedie wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:07 pm Just finished listening to the podcast with the Pressbox. It was excellent I thought. Jim and Stephen spoke very well about their careers and professionally about the Peak6 days. It's long but very enjoyable.
Thought you’d enjoy it oddly enough .
Weak interview in reality, doesn’t explain anything, just as expected gives this egomaniac a platform to prattle on for over an hour and dodge any responsibility for what happened + pass the buck to everyone but himself. Tis propaganda of the highest order, denials that super agent had influence on players being signed (JM and SMcD are clients of his ffs, podcast organised/hosted by his pal too) . Ends by having a pop at supporters who contributed to this clown’s surplus wage for the guts of a year, Christ….

Pressbox let themselves down big time, would have been better off doing something on a DFC legend, any amount of them about, even better focus on what was a great week on the pitch?? ?
Here comes the unemployable king of Dundalk. Have you no Jobseekers benefit to collect?
Salty..
Wish I had time to scroll and post conspiracy theories on forums at 10 in the morning !!
Philistine
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Philistine »

Shedtillwedie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:28 pm
Carrick_Road wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:35 pm What were they referring to when they spoke about a rumour around JM and drink during Covid, thats one I didnt hear.

Stephen Mc Donnell spoke brillantly and IMO would like to see him as a future DFC manager.
Philistine started a rumour with his clique that JM was drinking on the job. Sad
I wasn't even on this forum in 2021 you absolute melt ....
JM didn't travel with the team to Wales for the Newtown game because he was sloshed at the airport, allegedly
Whether that's true or not, this clown took the absolute piss out of the club and its fans but anyway keep defending your mate ;)
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Duff signed a new 2 1/2 year contract at Shelbourne. A lot thought he wouldn't be there long, but he looks committed to the long term. Winning a league title would increase his reputation as a manager.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Richie87 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:40 am Duff signed a new 2 1/2 year contract at Shelbourne. A lot thought he wouldn't be there long, but he looks committed to the long term. Winning a league title would increase his reputation as a manager.
Or Shels protecting themselves in case he gets poached. He would have a high profile in the UK because of his club and international career.
Last edited by oldfogey on Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

True ,they would at least get decent compensation if was poached. I think Duff intends to stick around in Ireland for a few years. He spoke on the Second Captains podcast recently about wanting to be in Ireland while his children are in school. https://www.secondcaptains.com/2024/05/ ... mien-duff/
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Proposal to have 14 full time players in each Squad from next season https://t.co/eLQCGEjpPY
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

Richie87 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:47 am Proposal to have 14 full time players in each Squad from next season https://t.co/eLQCGEjpPY
Might keep us up if we finish second last and lose a playoff! Who was saying there wouldn't be a Monaghan like scenario to save us....
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Anyone know (and we probably need to be thinking this way) if the play off is a single game in neutral ground (i think started due to covid season) or is it home and away?

I think a one off game is very high risk for a PD club, Cork City found that out last season, whereas over 2 legs you can have no complaints and should be firm favs, one off game v likes of UCD could be tricky. A club with abs nothing to lose, if it is them in the final and we end up finishing 9th.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

I think its one game in a neutral venue. The Premier team is in the final. The first Division teams go through a few play offs over 2 legs, before that.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Richie87 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:25 pm I think its one game in a neutral venue. The Premier team is in the final. The first Division teams go through a few play offs over 2 legs, before that.
2022 UCD(F3) beat Waterford(P9) at Inchicore

2023 Waterford(F2) beat Cork City(P9) at Tallaght.

Teams currently occupying playoff places (likely neutral venue in brackets). Remember this game is in November by which stage a lot of pitches are less than perfect, so Tolka might not be up to it. You would like to think we would bring 1000+. You would hope the FAI wouldn't make us cross the city to facilitate a handful of opposition supporters.

UCD (Tolka Park)
Bray Wanderers (Tolka Park)
Athlone Town (Dalymount)
Finn Harps (Sligo or Longford)
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Yeah the pitches can be rough enough in November. Tallaght was out of the way for Cork and Waterford, but was one of the few pitches in decent condition.

Play off final is week ending November 10th https://www.leagueofireland.ie/download ... 10c6951fb/
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Richie87 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:37 pm Yeah the pitches can be rough enough in November. Tallaght was out of the way for Cork and Waterford, but was one of the few pitches in decent condition.

Play off final is week ending November 10th https://www.leagueofireland.ie/download ... 10c6951fb/
Ireland play the All Blacks on the Friday night so the FAI might put it on earlier in the week to get a bit of a TV crowd (TV3 last year?).

I had forgotten that our final game is away to Drogheda on the previous Friday. Almost guaranteed to be a fractious affair off the pitch, irrespective of whether it's "winner takes all" or already settled.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Stull think its a tricky set up for thew PD club, yes they go into final, but anything can happen in 90 mins.

Should be H + A in my view.

I also think FAI Cup Semi's should be H and A, as there isn't the set up you have in other countries that have a proper neutral venue. For younger fans this was a system the FAI has in mid to late 80's, H+A, a memorable one was 87, we had Bohs in semi. Super games (not to be confused with the epic 1982 series semis) we lost 1-2 at home (I think), then won 1-0 in Dalymount, no away goals, so was a toss to host the replay, we won it. Then beat Bohs 3-0, magic game, Joey Malone scored 2 pens, 5k at it, all was looking rosey.

Then we lost 3-0 to Rovers in the final in a sunny day but poorly attended 1987 final in Dalymount, it was the worst loss by any club in a cup final since Shels lost same v Derry a few years back.