2024 General Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

2024 General Thread

Post by Richie87 »

It's behind a paywall, but the gist of it is that League of Ireland clubs can enter reserve teams in a new 3rd tier

https://t.co/c1Vng6TgE0

A slight increase in the prize money this season https://t.co/EjNgLTST9A
Last edited by Richie87 on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2024 General Theard

Post by AMC »

I may be missing something, but I do not understand the thought process behind establishing a 3rd division. We are struggling to support 20 teams as things stand, so why on earth would the proposed solution to that be to introduce more clubs? We do not need fragmentation of LOI clubs' fanbases. Consolidation would make more sense, but I don't think this is realistic given 10 is really the minimum you need for a league, and shutting down the first division would be very unpopular/unfair. I'm not opposed to the creation of a third division at some point in the future when our leagues (hopefully) generate enough revenue to support the cost bases of the clubs. But as of right now I don't think it would be sustainable.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

AMC wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:54 pm I may be missing something, but I do not understand the thought process behind establishing a 3rd division. We are struggling to support 20 teams as things stand, so why on earth would the proposed solution to that be to introduce more clubs? We do not need fragmentation of LOI clubs' fanbases. Consolidation would make more sense, but I don't think this is realistic given 10 is really the minimum you need for a league, and shutting down the first division would be very unpopular/unfair. I'm not opposed to the creation of a third division at some point in the future when our leagues (hopefully) generate enough revenue to support the cost bases of the clubs. But as of right now I don't think it would be sustainable.
My understanding is that it is effectively seeking to grow the game in "blackspots" as such, and that a third tier gives a tangible presence for people to get involved in the league. The idea behind regionalizing is to keep costs minimal. I take what you're saying it that there's an element of cart before the horse but I don't think there's anything to be gained in waiting for significant funding that might never come. Start now, seek to fund adequately later. Think it needs to be looked at in context of the 8 new regions they're looking to establish too and one should compliment the other. You can't shut down the first division, its a requirement to compete in Europe as far as i know. I assume the FAI have run the numbers on it and reckon they can support it too. For all their faults they seem to be trying to get their act together and try different things to reignite the game. Maybe it is a risk but I think its one worth taking
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2024 General Thread

Post by Richie87 »

There is plans for more teams to enter League of Ireland in the next few years. Mayo and Meath are 2 teams with plans to enter. Kildare County had a team before whether they plan to get back again. It's a big County but maybe being close to Dublin would affect the fan base
Other areas like North Tipperary and Laois would have potential for a team.
AMC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by AMC »

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:11 am
AMC wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:54 pm I may be missing something, but I do not understand the thought process behind establishing a 3rd division. We are struggling to support 20 teams as things stand, so why on earth would the proposed solution to that be to introduce more clubs? We do not need fragmentation of LOI clubs' fanbases. Consolidation would make more sense, but I don't think this is realistic given 10 is really the minimum you need for a league, and shutting down the first division would be very unpopular/unfair. I'm not opposed to the creation of a third division at some point in the future when our leagues (hopefully) generate enough revenue to support the cost bases of the clubs. But as of right now I don't think it would be sustainable.
My understanding is that it is effectively seeking to grow the game in "blackspots" as such, and that a third tier gives a tangible presence for people to get involved in the league. The idea behind regionalizing is to keep costs minimal. I take what you're saying it that there's an element of cart before the horse but I don't think there's anything to be gained in waiting for significant funding that might never come. Start now, seek to fund adequately later. Think it needs to be looked at in context of the 8 new regions they're looking to establish too and one should compliment the other. You can't shut down the first division, its a requirement to compete in Europe as far as i know. I assume the FAI have run the numbers on it and reckon they can support it too. For all their faults they seem to be trying to get their act together and try different things to reignite the game. Maybe it is a risk but I think its one worth taking
Interesting, well if the clubs are kept amateur for now I'm all for it. If they try to go semi pro or professional I would be worried. There are absolutely many parts of the country which do not fall inside the catchment area of any club, and establishing a club would not cannibalise existing fanbases. I just think we should avoid a situation where we set up a number of new clubs with lofty ambitions to go professional, which eventually shut down a few years later. We've seen it happen with Sporting Fingal, Monaghan United, Limerick FC and it has almost happened for many of our existing teams. Entering reserve teams would actually work quite well because you don't have the start up costs associated with setting up a new club. Anyway, if the FAI have assessed its viability carefully and believe it is sustainable then great, let's hope they're correct and it works well.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Limerick were the 8th team to go out of business in a decade. I think they were paying out big wages for a few years. Ogbene, Bastien Hery, and a Brazilian player Rodrigo Tosi would have been on good money.

Hopefully the new clubs like Mayo FC have a steady approach.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

I bought my ST during the week online, but had difficulties saving it, as its referring to save down the app, but there is no app.

I ended up just taking a screenshot of the ticket but this is not ideal, as wanted it to go to wallet on my iphone or at least somewhere on the iphone home screen, was thinking those who are not tech savy will really struggle on this if they have to go searching for the photo on match nights if they didn't go for the hard copy ST.

Anyone else seeing this?
Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco »

If you're struggling with the app, the email from the club also had a PDF which you can download and save or print
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:03 am I bought my ST during the week online, but had difficulties saving it, as its referring to save down the app, but there is no app.

I ended up just taking a screenshot of the ticket but this is not ideal, as wanted it to go to wallet on my iphone or at least somewhere on the iphone home screen, was thinking those who are not tech savy will really struggle on this if they have to go searching for the photo on match nights if they didn't go for the hard copy ST.

Anyone else seeing this?
You need to download the Dundalk app from the App Store. It saves your purchased ST to the app. It also saves any other online ticket purchase you make. Handy really
Carrick_Road
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Carrick_Road »

Mayowa Animasahun on the list on the names to watch out for.

Personally hopes he gets a run of games this season.

https://www.balls.ie/football/league-of ... 024-588349
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Hi ML

Thanks, I had a look in the App Store on my iphone, plenty of Dundalk hits, but nothing for FC, what did you search?
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:59 pm Hi ML

Thanks, I had a look in the App Store on my iphone, plenty of Dundalk hits, but nothing for FC, what did you search?
This is the link that was used back in 2021 https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/dundalk-f ... 1523468866

Could be the case it's only available on android. Can't find it myself
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Not sure Mike. Doesn’t seem to be I on the App Store now. Maybe ask the official X account or Gav in the comments or email the office
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Mike here is the original email.
2024 Renewals – Using your 2023 Season Ticket
To renew your season ticket for 2024, follow the link below, please remember you need to enter the 13-digits under the barcode on your 2023 season ticket to access the page.
**Enter the 13 – digits under the barcode on your season ticket in the prompt box, do not add spaces between the numbers, or add a space at the end of the 13-digits, once entered correctly this will capture all your personal information and take you to the product page where you can check all details are correct and continue with the renewal****

https://www.dundalkfc.com/season-ticket-renewals/
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Thanks lads for the responses, I'll get it sorted, appreciated.