2024 General Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2024 General Thread

Post by oldfogey »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:15 pm That’s only the second match Larne have lost in 32 games , top of the League up North. Shels up next . Cmon the Town .
All depends on who was in the Larne side. They play Cliftonville in the Irish Cup semifinal on Saturday, followed by the final league fixture (before the split) away to Glentoran on the following Tuesday. They're only 2 points ahead of Linfield with seven games to go so I can't imagine that they took many chances on Friday.
Last edited by oldfogey on Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Imagine what a result v Shels and a win over Drogs would do to get things kick started.

Miracles do happen at Easter................
Shedtillwedie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Shedtillwedie »

Would go with Louis and Zak J in the centre half pairing anyway. Feels like such a huge 3 games incoming. Lets get to mass!
inflikted
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by inflikted »

oldfogey wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:22 pm
Johnnybegood33 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:15 pm That’s only the second match Larne have lost in 32 games , top of the League up North. Shels up next . Cmon the Town .
All depends on who was in the Larne side. They play Cliftonville in the Irish Cup semifinal on Saturday, followed by the final league fixture (before the split) away to Glentoran on the following Tuesday. They're only 2 points ahead of Linfield with seven games to go so I can't imagine that they took many chances on Friday.
I have my scepticism about Larne's owners for various things but can't fault their dedication to rebuilding the club and turning them into a force in NI. Dundalk could really benefit from owners as driven to succeed as them.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

I see John McGovern who was linked with Dundalk before Christmas ,on the Down panel yesterday. Newry are letting him be a dual player.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

DessieGorman’sTache wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:40 am Magilton is managing Clifonville, who are third up North.
They beat Larne yesterday in the Cup Semi final. Play Linfield in the final.

https://t.co/sBOgEkqLx1
The Ridge
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Ridge »

Lads, changing the manager may be necessary but not sure it will yield the results people think it will. Who is there that could be even considered a viable option? And plz no one mention SK, a real option as there's a high chance that he never manages in the league ever again. Those of you who believe we have a chance of him returning are the same kind who actually believe that a Mr. Burton that he is a fan and tried his best for the club.

On the whole the club is haemorrhaging cash. Problems run deeper than just the on pitch stuff and the removal of 1-2 people off it. Still too many there from the old guard that first of all should never have been brought in. Looking to cut costs is the way to go, someone mentioned the media content officer as a luxury which is true and we just can't afford that, let alone someone competent to do the job in the first place (which he is not) and was only brought in as because of a long standing relationship with a now departed employee and not on actual merit but that's where the axe should be swinging, obvs first team and management but look at the reality of who is behind the scenes now - mostly a similar crew to when we were in the first division almost 20 years ago. It's laughable. They weren't good enough then for the lower tier and absolutely not now in the prem...
Goliath
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Goliath »

The Ridge wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:09 pm Lads, changing the manager may be necessary but not sure it will yield the results people think it will. Who is there that could be even considered a viable option? And plz no one mention SK, a real option as there's a high chance that he never manages in the league ever again. Those of you who believe we have a chance of him returning are the same kind who actually believe that a Mr. Burton that he is a fan and tried his best for the club
On the whole the club is haemorrhaging cash. Problems run deeper than just the on pitch stuff and the removal of 1-2 people off it. Still too many there from the old guard that first of all should never have been brought in. Looking to cut costs is the way to go, someone mentioned the media content officer as a luxury which is true and we just can't afford that, let alone someone competent to do the job in the first place (which he is not) and was only brought in as because of a long standing relationship with a now departed employee and not on actual merit but that's where the axe should be swinging, obvs first team and management but look at the reality of who is behind the scenes now - mostly a similar crew to when we were in the first division almost 20 years ago. It's laughable. They weren't good enough then for the lower tier and absolutely not now in the prem...
Lots of people posting lately that seem to have gripes or agenda's, not sure how the media officer gets dragged into this , I actually think he does a decent job but you seem to have inside knowledge like many others on here .
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Goliath wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:25 pm
The Ridge wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:09 pm Lads, changing the manager may be necessary but not sure it will yield the results people think it will. Who is there that could be even considered a viable option? And plz no one mention SK, a real option as there's a high chance that he never manages in the league ever again. Those of you who believe we have a chance of him returning are the same kind who actually believe that a Mr. Burton that he is a fan and tried his best for the club
Lots of people posting lately that seem to have gripes or agenda's, not sure how the media officer gets dragged into this , I actually think he does a decent job but you seem to have inside knowledge like many others on here .
Who is this ‘media content officer’ The Ridge seems desperate to get rid of? I hope he’s not talking about Gavin McLuaghlin who does a great job and is DFC through and through
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:26 pm
Goliath wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:25 pm
Who is this ‘media content officer’ The Ridge seems desperate to get rid of? I hope he’s not talking about Gavin McLuaghlin who does a great job and is DFC through and through
Can only back that up. Any dealings I have ever had with the man were handled in a professional manner. Gav can only do what those above him allow him to do and is in no way involved in the day to day finances or issues in the club from where I see it.
Should users here have a reason for attacking him, come out and say why.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

Agree 100% with the last couple of posts. Fair play lads for calling that nonsense out.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
southerncomfort
Reserves
Reserves

Post by southerncomfort »

in what's been a 6 yr+ circus. the media officer has been top class. very weird seeing any criticism . the 'ridge' another bad actor . would be hoban level calamitous decision if he was removed by any owner
Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek »

mike wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:10 pm Imagine what a result v Shels and a win over Drogs would do to get things kick started.

Miracles do happen at Easter................
Or even a couple of shots on target ,anything.
Shedtillwedie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Shedtillwedie »

I don’t think anybody is critical of the work the media team do at the club.

I think the comment was that if the club was losing money hand over fist, was that position/department a luxury at whatever the cost is? Should it be full time or part time?

The work is generally top bins - people just asking questions about all sides of the club.

Fintan Nelson moved on too apparently. A diamond of a man.
Thesquareend
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Thesquareend »

I see young Danny O’Connell calling out for the players & staff to apologise to the fans…chaps watching too much internet and Netflix documentaries.where is our next goal coming from in all fairness?Gartland is the set piece coach I hear,we wouldn’t score from a set piece if we were there by ourselves.