Dundalk v Galway Utd | League Round 02 | Friday 23 February 19.45

Forum to discuss home games

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk v Galway Utd | League Round 02 | Friday 23 February 19.45

Post by oldfogey »

That result certainly gives food for thought. You would be hard pushed to find anyone - outside of the squad and management - who saw that one coming.

Should be a fairly decent crowd next Friday night.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Galway Utd | League Round 02 | Friday 23 February 19.45

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Except me , Old Fogey . If u scroll back , I forecasted Gullan to score first goal & Dundalk to win 2-0 @ 380 /1 . BoyleSports . If Kanes attempt had to go in , u never know . It was no free for Rovers & they were going down very easy & then gesturing to the ref . like crazy , unlike Dundalk who were totally professional. The new owner Brian Ainscough must have been in his element . Also would have given him food for thought sitting in the beautiful stadium & thinking , we need this in Oriel .Hard to believe that the pitch was bumpy . All in all a great start to the season . It will be interesting to see how many of the Sky Sports enthusiasts get there arses up to Oriel next week . Congrats again on that excellent performance . Credit to Stevie on having his team super fit & congrats to our new owner Brian Ainscough . Will be a great advertisement for Dundalk , on live time prime TV . Will defo help encourage new investors , the potential is through the roof . New stadium down the line & treble attendances . That has to be any new owner / investors goal . 6 to 7 thousand in a packed Oriel .
Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek »

I went for a Dundalk win ,2-1 in the match thread .
Just saying .
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Good man Alanek , positive vibes . Cmon the Town .
bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by bigalan »

So many positives from last night. Midfield were fantastic as was our defence. Gullan looks a real handful and great for him to get off the mark on his debut. Keeper settled well after a shakey start, maybe could have collected one or two when he punched out but better to be safe. Overall absolutely delighted with our display last night and if we follow up with 3 points V Galway next week then its a wonderful start.

A special mention to the SSA who were amazing last night, never stopped from start to finish. It really encourages the players and can make a serious difference.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

I thought we gave up a couple of good chances that rovers really should have taken . They came from crosses and resulted in two free headers. I reckon crosses and high balls will be a feature of Galway’s game, so we need to tighten up on that imo.
I thought the away jersey looked the business
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

As things settle down now after the buzz of last Friday, we must back it up with a win v Galway. Personally I don't care if its a scrappy 1-0 or last min winner, as long as it brings 3 points.

Also, as much as we were excellent in stages on Friday v Rovers, and controlled much of the MF in the first half, if we all allow ourselves to adjust the rose tinted a little, worth noting they probably had 3 chances to win it in second half and it was really backs to the wall stuff.

That said they only had 1 shot on target and we defended very well, but they could easily have (undeservedly) nicked it, so we have work to do, no resting on our laurels etc, but the performance and result will most certainly offer encouragement.

PS good point by Alan, the fans were great, I watched on tv, must have been 400-500 in the end seemed a lot arrived late, but all you could hear was DFC fans.
dundog21
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by dundog21 »

Time to give those fucking spud munchers some payback
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

A huge crowd should turn out tonight . Will be a great night to attend & cheer the boys on . Cmon the Town .
inflikted
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by inflikted »

Unchanged XI and bench from last week, going for consistency to start the season.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Galway were very good. A well coached team. They could have had about 5.
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

We have really poor manager. Tactics, in game management, subs, everything just clueless.
He wouldn't have survived last season if he wasn't a former player.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Sitting here in the car after leaving Oriel and all I can say is .... brought back down to earth with a bang after last weeks performance. Early days in the season, however it all looked very similar ... carbon copy of performances from last season ... just different players.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

Last week the tactics and formation was all about containment. I called it a ballsy lineup. This week was also a ballsy lineup going unchanged and it backfired.

We created enough chances to win the game so not gonna panic just yet but we need to be much much better. However we did cough up plenty of chances, Galway could have scored another couple themselves
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Louth4sam wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:17 pm Last week the tactics and formation was all about containment. I called it a ballsy lineup. This week was also a ballsy lineup going unchanged and it backfired.

We created enough chances to win the game so not gonna panic just yet but we need to be much much better. However we did cough up plenty of chances, Galway could have scored another couple themselves
A couple of good blocks by Galway defenders, but Dundalk didn't test Clarke. Shelvey made 2 or 3 good saves in second half and hit the post in the first half.