1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Sligo Rovers | League Round 04 | Monday 04 March 19.45

Post by GC. »

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

Was John Mountney, our club captain, actually commentating on the radio tonight???is that actually true? Instead of being around the squad before the game or maybe even in the dressing room at half-time.... shocking
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. »

James Rogers just tweeted that the team are still in the dressing room.
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

GC. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:17 pm James Rogers just tweeted that the team are still in the dressing room.
We've seen this act before. Who does he think he is fooling...
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

Shelvey should be sacked for that performance. Bradshaw was beyond embarrassing.

Genuinely, it is hard to believe these are professional footballers. Two of the worst ever individual performances for Dundalk in the last 20 years.

Boyle and Benson played their worst ever games for Dundalk. After all the players we lost, why have we kept Benson and Mountney?
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. »

What can be achieved by keeping the players in the dressing room until this time when everyone is probably angry and hurt, apart from finger pointing? The less said the better to let everyone stew on it and then do a post mortem over the next couple of days.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Oriel O'Shea wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:20 pm
Richie87 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:59 pm Sligo had a very limited budget over the winter but John Russell has done decent business. Chapman was initially a loan but they made it permanent. Dundalk had over a week to prepare for the game ,but were flat as a pancake. Shelvey was very confident on his debut but should done better for the 4 goals . Boyle needs to be doing better for a seasoned player.
The budget is the crazy part. I dont think we would be far from 5th biggest in league. Bad players signed by Stevie and Garts and players look worse under the coaching. Horgan Benson and Boyle look finished new players look non existentand we have no striker. Why did Jamie Gullan not play?

Not good. Still 3 games in if Stevie goes who comes in and works with these players?
I don't think there is many candidates in the Country, unless they looked to the UK.

It's a poor enough Squad. New manager might get them more focused but looks a lack of quality in positions. 22 league games by the the time of the summer break.
Gearóid Bellew
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Gearóid Bellew »

GC. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:41 pm What can be achieved by keeping the players in the dressing room until this time when everyone is probably angry and hurt, apart from finger pointing? The less said the better to let everyone stew on it and then do a post mortem over the next couple of days.
With Brian Ainscough in attendance tonight there may not be a few days to stew things over.

Don't think it's ever a good sign when everyone is held back way after full time for a talking to.
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

Mayowa ran into the back of a Sligo player and was down injured just before half time. I guess we were allowed a concussion sub for him. As someone else observed we'd have no trouble convincing the ref that Shelvey was concussed. I know the defence was woeful but he should have saved all 4.
I'm not one for sacking a manager after 3 games but it's very much his (atrocious) squad and his coaching, tactics and leadership that has us here, genuinely wondering if there's another team in the league we can conceivably finish ahead of.
New signings are always something of a gamble but signing an injured Mountney THREE TIMES is criminal. How much has that cost us? 100K? Hoban situation horrendously mishandled. We've all known for a long time that Elliot is not up to League of Ireland standard. 1 goal in 28 games last season and he's resigned. He tries but Martin tried harder and scored a few big goals. An infinitely better option. Durrant, Muller, Annesley not good enough but resigned.
Of the newbies only High has looked good and he's the one with 50 Championship games under his belt. Bradshaw and Walker way off the standard we required for a low- midtable Premier side. It's a massive step up from Scottish third level or English U21 second tier to a megafit, super fast top flight.
Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek »

Serious question ,is Peter cherry available on a free .
Keepers are bad ,I think shelvey was brought in because o Donnell realised after the Malone cup how bad Munro was .the general thing bout being a keeper is you need to be able to catch a ball ,these two have a problem with that .
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:34 pm Was John Mountney, our club captain, actually commentating on the radio tonight???is that actually true? Instead of being around the squad before the game or maybe even in the dressing room at half-time.... shocking
At the very least should have been doing meet and greets with the sponsors.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

Pats made a decisive decision early last season after some terrible results, we should absolutely be doing the same.
Had Stevie not been a former captain he would have lost his job last season, probably after the Galway farce.
carrickfan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by carrickfan »

Like all fans I was terribly disappointed last night, my son of 16 sat beside me switched off at half time, LiveScore was announcing the arsenal game, we should have stayed at home he quipped…

I’m offering excuses to try and stay positive by saying the pitch went against us last night. GK misjudged the hop of the ball for the first goal and was out of position, the third goal slipped through his arms. Boyle caught on the bounce for the second or fourth, I can’t remember. I think on a grass pitch the game wouldn’t have presented those lottery situations. I know it’s the same for both teams, but only 5 of our starting line up are used to playing on Astro, it’s going to take a while to adjust.

For all our faults we had a lot of possession - 60% I read v Sligo 70% in the Galway game, but we are not good in the final third, one goal in 3 games is a worry but it’s early days. Grass pitch v Pats and a decent result and I’ll be looking to dig up the Astro or play home games in Clancy Park…