Next manager

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

DessieGorman’sTache
Youth Team
Youth Team

Next manager

Post by DessieGorman’sTache »

SOD surely can’t survive tonight, particularly as it follows another dismal home defeat to Galway.

The question is - who replaces him? Who are viable contenders?
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Next manager

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

There is only one man. He lives locally, he guarantees European football at a minimum and could single handedly attract investors into the club.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:01 pm There is only one man. He lives locally, he guarantees European football at a minimum and could single handedly attract investors into the club.
Would be be interested. He'd need serious backing from Ainscough as I'd imagine he'd only come back if he is challenging for the title and having a stab at Europe again
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. »

Ainscough (if in town) should be knocking on Stephen Kenny’s door tomorrow morning.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Wouldn’t that be a dream . I think he should sound Stephen out .
dundog21
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by dundog21 »

Roddy Collins
Thesquareend
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Thesquareend »

I’d be shocked if Kenny wanted to take the job.Why would he?SOD a great player but I’m sorry to say isn’t up to the job.Brian Gartland needs to step down also,experiment is over for the two larriers.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

GC. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:07 pm Ainscough (if in town) should be knocking on Stephen Kenny’s door tomorrow morning.
Both were in attendance tonight.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Gartland is equally as culpable as SOD. Bottom line is he is head of recruitment and he recommended these players. Most of whom simply aren't good enough. Sorry but a decent chap but at this moment Mayoa isn't up to the standard. Horgan a great player in his first time here, but doesn't justify i would imagine his fairly decent salary. We got rid of Hoban and Martin and both scored tonight. Leahy not only starting but scoring for Waterford. I think the decision of naming a captain who isn't playing and also imho as bad as he was taking the keeper off tonight could cost him the dressing room. The game was over it was 4-0. For me that will shatter a keepers confidence and in a way O'Donnell has thrown him under the bus. That's a sure way to losing a dressing room imho Is Gullan injured? Cos surely he's a better option than Cammy. Also Mahon. What's the story there? Injured or not making the match day squad? Recruitment has been shocking and for me that's down to Gartland. Highland league and lower Scottish aren't up to loi standard and certainly not up to challenging for the title or competing with the best in Europe.
Great players who will go down in history for all they achieved on the pitch, but unfortunately it's time for both to be replaced.
But equally who is out there that would really want it? Could we entice Kenny? Would he want it? Does he need the hassle of it? Former international manager means it is different to him coming to us this time. Last time he was at his lowest ebb. This time he's had success with us, decent level of success at international u21 level, and experience as a senior international manager. There should be bigger things waiting for him than Dundalk. But are there? You would have thought Aberdeen would have been a good fit. But did they come calling? They gave it to retired Neil Warnock.
We may have players of limited ability but a decent manager would have changed things and not let us lose 5-0. It's a major concern as yes Rovers are only 1 point ahead of us pats and Drogheda only 2 ahead of us and bohs in 6th only 3 ahead of us. However RVs will get out of that as will pats. And bohs. So effectively we are hoping our performances improve whilst Drogheda's lessen. But the teams you were kinda expecting to be below us and struggling Sligo, Galway and Waterford are currently 4, 5 and 6 points ahead of us. Albeit with a game more played. But it is still points on the board for them and our game in hand is v bohs.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Gearóid Bellew
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Gearóid Bellew »

GC. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:07 pm Ainscough (if in town) should be knocking on Stephen Kenny’s door tomorrow morning.
He was watching the game from the stand tonight, so was Stephen Kenny actually.
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

Would love SK, obviously, but realistically can we offer him even a quarter of what he was on last year? And what could he do with that group of players.
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

He would improve them but he would also move them on if beyond helping. Appointing a permanently injured Captain and allowing the clubs record goal scorer to leave with a year left on his contract without capable replacements is unforgivable. Stevie and Brian need to be judged on their current performance and not their deserved legendary status. It is clear that neither have learned much in the last 12 months and need to go. There is no one of any note available in Ireland other than the King but as an adviser once told me when I had to shed someone, “ An empty house is better than a bad lodger”. BA has set his stall out to improve our club so he needs to make the tough decisions. If he wants to persist with Stevie why not approach Stephen Kenny to be Director of Football until a managers job somewhere presents itself. Two more observations, it is pathetic to keep players back after a bad performance like this when tempers are flaring and is just pigheaded. Sorry Stevie, and two, what did he half to gain by subbing Shelley when the game was lost. He was crap but what little confidence he had is now gone. Two very inexperienced and childish decisions.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

What if Shelvey was on for the 90 minutes and conceded 8 or 9?. Munroe made a few saves when he came on. Shelveys confidence went after the second goal and it was probably right to take him out .
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

I'm all in favour of hooking Shelvey. It wasn't going to do anything for him leaving him floundering. He could have done it when he made the first double sub but rightly left it to half time. Munro deserved his chance and played well.

Keeping the players back for 2 hours is just performative bull. Its not the right time and place for a tactical masterclass or a kick up the arse, indeed you're compromising players' recovery and rest (though it seems unlikely we're organised enough to have that all planned out like a professional football club)
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

Richie87 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:42 am What if Shelvey was on for the 90 minutes and conceded 8 or 9?. Munroe made a few saves when he came on. Shelveys confidence went after the second goal and it was probably right to take him out .
You could have made a case for hooking all eleven if you were worried about shipping 8 or 9. If we are potentially shipping 8 or 9 at home against Sligo Rovers it is time to go Stevie! I think that both of the afore mentioned decisions will lose him the dressing room. Players these days will not put up with being treated like kids! If that team recovers against Pats it will because they may have personal pride.

One more small point. League of Ireland teams, particularly the top ones have been competitive against SPL teams, and a number of players from our league have done ok in Scotland so why in Gods name are we recruiting from the Highland and Lowland leagues? Surely there are better players in Ireland than some of the fifth grade garbage coming from Cross Channel!