Next manager

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Next manager

Post by Louth4sam »

Pepsi wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:54 pm
Louth4sam wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:36 pm
Pepsi wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:28 pm So lads, who is in the running to be our next manager? What can BA afford, who does he turn to next? Clear as day ... he is working on a budget, which is now clear as day.
Have I missed something? If he has come out and said that King was all that he could afford, it was still the wrong appointment even if he was doing it for free but at least it would make a bit of sense.

If we take him at his word, he said we had a budget to be competitive and challenge for Europe. Are you saying this is not the case?
I would suspect that he has not got the investment levels he was expecting. Am hearing 1-2 big players have stalled with their investment.
If we are working on a reduced budget due to lack of investment so be it. I still fail to see even if we were just paying expenses to a manager how King was the best option. I really don't believe for one second that King's appointment had anything to do with a reduced budget and more it was someone that Ainscough knows and trusts.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

It’s what happens in the immediate future that’s important , & pivotal to us staying in Premier .
Shedtillwedie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Shedtillwedie »

Louth4sam wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:44 pm
Pepsi wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:54 pm
Louth4sam wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:36 pm

Have I missed something? If he has come out and said that King was all that he could afford, it was still the wrong appointment even if he was doing it for free but at least it would make a bit of sense.

If we take him at his word, he said we had a budget to be competitive and challenge for Europe. Are you saying this is not the case?
I would suspect that he has not got the investment levels he was expecting. Am hearing 1-2 big players have stalled with their investment.
If we are working on a reduced budget due to lack of investment so be it. I still fail to see even if we were just paying expenses to a manager how King was the best option. I really don't believe for one second that King's appointment had anything to do with a reduced budget and more it was someone that Ainscough knows and trusts.
He was on a a salary similar to Stevie I was told. Plus the car from Blackstone and a fuel card. Probably between 50-60k per year for a Head Coach/Manager I would think.

I heard on the Pressbox podcast there on the off the field staff. Just on the football side, it must cost a fortune to run between physios, massage therapists, different coaches across fitness, goalkeeping and first team. Kitman and video analyst. Thats before the office ladies, commercial team and the content team.

Thats before a ball is kicked on every friday.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Vinny Perth / Burns . 👍
southerncomfort
Reserves
Reserves

Post by southerncomfort »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:17 pm Vinny Perth / Burns . 👍
not the popular choice with jounos, agents or fans ( sod was preferred in 2022)
but would make a lot of sense ( short term contract reviewed end of season ) vp fully tuned into the league and if willing to do it , should bite his hand off.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

I think it's important to get someone in quickly but the kicker is we need to get the right person in. Perth wouldn't be my choice however he has a good attachment to the club and gets the town and fans. He has been messed around by the club twice in so we did offer him a contract I hope it's for at least two seasons to give him a chance. His number two would be critical. Someone like Croly would be ideal.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Philistine
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Philistine »

southerncomfort wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:25 pm
but would make a lot of sense ( short term contract reviewed end of season ) vp fully tuned into the league and if willing to do it , should bite his hand off.
And finished joint 2nd after Vinny had them 6th.
Not sure why you keep suggesting Vinny and harping on about agents, journos etc??
Calls for Vinny to come back equate to pure lunacy...
Philistine
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Philistine »

seand wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:22 pm Jesus wept, in a tough competition we might just have a winner for Keyboard Warrior of the Year
+1
You disagreed so you must be Brian Gartland in disguise by his logic. Absolute melon ....
southerncomfort
Reserves
Reserves

Philistine wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:56 am
Not sure why you keep suggesting Vinny and harping on about agents, journos etc??
(2022 was 3rd but who cares about facts)
vp was the ***4th manager*** to have a go in 2021. he came in at relegation level, AFTER phillipo / shane / magilton had a go and other deals had collapsed becuase so many high calibre didn't fancy the gig. and we were heading for relegation.
6th was an achievement , not to mention a decent european display including AZ Alkmaar . new local owners didn't like his perceived p6 connections, noises from some now departed friends who were looking to build their own careers, and his player budget demands so went for sod, causing hundreds of thousands of euro in high court costs and issues with pats.
but to be fair to sod got 3rd the next season and showed he's a very good coach. so proved to be a good decision for 1 years. well done statspor for their astuteness there
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

I think we need a fresh approach, time to end the old school links, get in Barraclough if he is still available and do it properly.

Whoever it is, I would like someone at a decent age and has good LOI exp, if IB is not available or not interested not sure who else fits the bill, should be some good options, and hopefully this time Peter Halpin can be allowed do his job.
southerncomfort
Reserves
Reserves

barraclough would be a great move , especially long term , but if not , need to be more pragmatic
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

southerncomfort wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:04 am
Philistine wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:56 am
(2022 was 3rd but who cares about facts)
vp was the ***4th manager*** to have a go in 2021. he came in at relegation level, AFTER phillipo / shane / magilton had a go and other deals had collapsed becuase so many high calibre didn't fancy the gig. and we were heading for relegation.
6th was an achievement , not to mention a decent european display including AZ Alkmaar . new local owners didn't like his perceived p6 connections, noises from some now departed friends who were looking to build their own careers, and his player budget demands so went for sod, causing hundreds of thousands of euro in high court costs and issues with pats.
but to be fair to sod got 3rd the next season and showed he's a very good coach. so proved to be a good decision for 1 years. well done statspor for their astuteness there
Az Alkmaar was 2016 under Kenny
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
N_Torris
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by N_Torris »

Dont go backwards (i.e. Perth, Gill, etc) but more importantly, get in a manager to manage the team who actually has the qualifications themselves.

No coincidence the supposed drop in quality of the league has come alongside years of "managers" there for badges so a "coach" can manage. Clubs with actual, qualified managers generally performing best (O'Donnell at Pats & Filipo not withstanding)
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Couldn't agree more we need to stop lookin over our shoulder for nostalgic links to the kenny era. Hope the next manager is a fresh face that can steady the ship and hope Burnsy is left in the dugout with them
southerncomfort
Reserves
Reserves

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:42 pm [

Az Alkmaar was 2016 under Kenny
fair enough , think I meant vitesse, who was the 1st team coach for that az game?

seriously , who cares what era , etc . it's not choosing the colour of a car that's fashionable, it's choosing a car that can drive.
a competent reliable manager to stay In the division .who knows the league Inside out has to be the priority

obviously baraclough is needs to be the target , that will keep fans and journos happy

but he was ni manager not that long ago and may have zero interest / using us for insurance in case other plans don't work out .

plan b perth , plan c cronin .... plan d ... who knows. but pedigree and calibre essential ( and pro licence obviously )

If barraclough turns it down ,
needs to face facts, most managers will see it as a circus . so there'll need to be compromise .
much better to have a compromise with some calibre/experienced as apposed to someone learning their trade