Next manager

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

N_Torris
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Next manager

Post by N_Torris »

Actually feel fairly positive about Daly too tbh. A solid manager. Any chance of a new manager bounce and a Drogs + Sligo dropping points and we're on the move.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

A lot of positive vibes on all media .He knows the game . Good luck John & welcome to Oriel .👍
Last edited by Johnnybegood33 on Fri May 24, 2024 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Good appointment. Who’ll he have as assistant ?? Will he bring his own?
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Nice to see Daly coming in, even nicer that nothing leaked. Have we finally plugged the hole?
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Richie87 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:18 pm
Towelie wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:06 pm Think it's a decent appointment, would've preferred Baraclough due to his experience but Daly did a great job lifting Pats up the table last year.
Daly will be more up to date with the players in the League. Baraclough while he had success before, it would be 10 years since he was involved in the League.
Fair point, I think we were all side tracked over Barraclough, I prob was, plus don't forget Daly won the FAI cup only 6 months ago !

Was surprised at first, but I`m happy with this now, best option from what was available I think.
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. »

Not sure how to feel about any management appointment at this stage 😂

At least he comes with very little history and management baggage. So there will hopefully be less drama and he can steady the ship. It’ll be interesting to see who assistant will be.

Best of luck Jon!
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

Disappointed that it is not Barraclough but I think Jon Daly is a decent option, not much baggage and a cup winner. Interested to see who his assistant will be. He could maybe do worse than give Liam Burns a crack at it. Good luck Jon and welcome to Oriel.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

GC. wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:19 pm At least he comes with very little history and management baggage.
Probably the opposite. If rumours are to be believed we missed out on two players from Pats playing hardball because of the issues rightly or wrongly with how O'Donnell left. With new owners, O'Donnell gone and former Pats manager in charge you'd hope that beef is now over.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
shep
Reserves
Reserves

Post by shep »

Very good appointment. A manager with recent success in the league. Knows the players and opposition and has a point to prove. For those I’ve seen mentioning style of play on Social media; did they watch us under SOD 😂😂😂
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

Very good appointment gives us a chance fair play to BA
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Hull White wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:45 pm Disappointed that it is not Barraclough but I think Jon Daly is a decent option, not much baggage and a cup winner. Interested to see who his assistant will be. He could maybe do worse than give Liam Burns a crack at it. Good luck Jon and welcome to Oriel.
I think we need to all move away from Barraclough, (would include myself in this) he didn't do a good job at NI, and last managed in LOI with Sligo in 2014, that's a fair bit of time out, but of course nowhere near King who was 20+ years out of club mgt.

Getting Daly in seems to have been very well received amongst the established voices within the league, I think its now almost a 'coup' given our position and his exp.

One example:

https://x.com/offtheball/status/1793738 ... jt8s9S7sOQ
BigChief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BigChief »

Daly again came in under the radar, glad to see leaks have been plugged.

Daly has been in the league now since 2021 so he will know the opposition and our own players .
Good appointment for what we need right now, its not the fancy SK appointment we all longed for but it seems a good solid appointment so hopefully all the off field stuff of the last 4 weeks can now start to be put to bed.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

mike wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:18 am
Hull White wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:45 pm Disappointed that it is not Barraclough but I think Jon Daly is a decent option, not much baggage and a cup winner. Interested to see who his assistant will be. He could maybe do worse than give Liam Burns a crack at it. Good luck Jon and welcome to Oriel.
I think we need to all move away from Barraclough, (would include myself in this) he didn't do a good job at NI, and last managed in LOI with Sligo in 2014, that's a fair bit of time out, but of course nowhere near King who was 20+ years out of club mgt.

Getting Daly in seems to have been very well received amongst the established voices within the league, I think its now almost a 'coup' given our position and his exp.

One example:

https://x.com/offtheball/status/1793738 ... jt8s9S7sOQ
I for one am much happier with Daly than Barraclough. I think Pat's pulled the trigger way to quickly on him and it's a decent appointment for us. If you are looking around the league at current managers and managers that have managed in the league recently that are realistic options, it is just himself, long and Perth that would make my shortlist. I'm surprised at the appointment being made so quickly after he was sacked though.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:45 pm A lot of positive vibes on all media . He knows the game . Good luck John & welcome to Oriel .👍
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

southerncomfort wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:53 pm in retrospect , should have been tipped all along .

decent appointment
also impressed at lack of leaks from club or him

great news , let's get out of this nonsense
I actually never even thought of him, sometimes the obvious things are closer to hand !

Wonder what contract length is, will be either 1.5 or 2.5 years you would imagine.