George Shelvey

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

superman
Reserves
Reserves

Re: George Shelvey

Post by superman »

seand wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:46 pm
superman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:05 pm
seand wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:29 pm I mean he's used "Irish" as a pejorative term. The ref was not only a cnut, even worse, he's an Irish cnut. Our own player has discriminated against me. Against 95% of the club fan base. Against 70% of the club's players.
Some people just love being victims.

All you are doing is leaving a young fella that is trying to develop his career here out to dry.

The FAI, the Referee, the Club, and the fans, are making this into a far bigger deal than it should.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not a big fan of being a victim. Not a fan of being the victim of an anti-irish clown coming over here to a land his country has occupied and pillaged for centuries, using Irish as a term to denigrate some thick potato munching Paddy who has the temerity to annoy him. The historical context of an English man displaying anti Irish discrimination has barely been mentioned incidentally
This reveals a lot more about you, than it does about him.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Before Northampton played Leinster in Croke Park, one their backroom staff (Irish) gave them a run down on the historical significance of playing there. One of them said afterwards that it was a real eye opener as Anglo-Irish history is not taught in English schools. We often assume that their understanding of the history between our nations is on a level with ours.

I would imagine Shelveys knowledge of Ireland doesn't go beyond it being occupied by a crowd of "Irish Cnuts". Probably what he learned at home. Doesn't in any way excuse what he did, but explains it.
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

superman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:04 pm

All you are doing is leaving a young fella that is trying to develop his career here out to dry.

The FAI, the Referee, the Club, and the fans, are making this into a far bigger deal than it should.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not a big fan of being a victim. Not a fan of being the victim of an anti-irish clown coming over here to a land his country has occupied and pillaged for centuries, using Irish as a term to denigrate some thick potato munching Paddy who has the temerity to annoy him. The historical context of an English man displaying anti Irish discrimination has barely been mentioned incidentally
I'm not sure what you're trying to read about me from that to be honest.

My point is that Irish is more loaded a term coming from an English man than say a German or an American
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

seand wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:35 pm

I'm not sure what you're trying to read about me from that to be honest.

My point is that Irish is more loaded a term coming from an English man than say a German or an American
100%
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull »

It really doesn't, all it reveals is that Sean feels the exact same as many many Irish people do and have done for years, including myself. It reveals that Sean, myself and countless other Irish people feel that a lot of English people feel that they are superior to the Irish and have no problem letting us know.
If I was the owner of Dundalk FC, I would be currently looking at getting Shelvey out of the club as soon as possible.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

oldfogey wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:31 pm Before Northampton played Leinster in Croke Park, one their backroom staff (Irish) gave them a run down on the historical significance of playing there. One of them said afterwards that it was a real eye opener as Anglo-Irish history is not taught in English schools. We often assume that their understanding of the history between our nations is on a level with ours.

I would imagine Shelveys knowledge of Ireland doesn't go beyond it being occupied by a crowd of "Irish Cnuts". Probably what he learned at home. Doesn't in any way excuse what he did, but explains it.
You’re in danger of talking the most sense on this forum in the guts of a decade
Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 »

If I was at work and an English lad called me an Irish c*#t in anger you can be guaranteed that wouldn’t be the end of it. Out the door lad
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Shelvey is a young guy who needs our support right now . He’s a Dundalk player. We were all delighted when he was waving the Tifo in front of the shed. Vilifying a young guy for something he’s apologised for doesn’t sit right with me. This happened in the heat of the moment after losing a game to a 10 man team and one of Harvey’s usual shite performances. If Shelvey had thrown in “useless” as well he’d not be wrong. The FAI are completely over the top with 10 games . Every LOI supporter knows how bad Harvey and Hennessy are as refs but the standards never change.
Goliath
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Goliath »

He has to go simple as that , you can be guaranteed it isn't the first time he's said it just this time he said it in the wrong place, if he stays the abuse he'll get from fans in the league will be crazy .
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:28 pm Shelvey is a young guy who needs our support right now . He’s a Dundalk player. We were all delighted when he was waving the Tifo in front of the shed. Vilifying a young guy for something he’s apologised for doesn’t sit right with me. This happened in the heat of the moment after losing a game to a 10 man team and one of Harvey’s usual shite performances. If Shelvey had thrown in “useless” as well he’d not be wrong. The FAI are completely over the top with 10 games . Every LOI supporter knows how bad Harvey and Hennessy are as refs but the standards never change.
How would they change the standard? Var won't happen in LOI, it's not affordable. There isn't many wanting to be refs, and the likes of a rant from Shelvey wouldn't help things either.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Way over the top . Shocking decision .
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

tip on wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:03 pm I agree the ban is excessive as are calls to sack him as DFC would have to pay up his full contract.
Let him earn his wage and make sure he has to attend all training sessions while suspended.
Why would they have to pay up his contract when it is a case of Gross Missconduct. Just grow some balls and terminate his contract. End of story.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Richie87 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:48 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:28 pm Shelvey is a young guy who needs our support right now . He’s a Dundalk player. We were all delighted when he was waving the Tifo in front of the shed. Vilifying a young guy for something he’s apologised for doesn’t sit right with me. This happened in the heat of the moment after losing a game to a 10 man team and one of Harvey’s usual shite performances. If Shelvey had thrown in “useless” as well he’d not be wrong. The FAI are completely over the top with 10 games . Every LOI supporter knows how bad Harvey and Hennessy are as refs but the standards never change.
How would they change the standard? Var won't happen in LOI, it's not affordable. There isn't many wanting to be refs, and the likes of a rant from Shelvey wouldn't help things either.
Maybe by demoting the ref to a 1st division game when they make a howler ( like not sending off Deegan for a straight red or 2nd yellow or missing a handball!) or taking their refereeing appeal mechanism seriously which they have failed do. Has there been even one appeal not thrown out ?
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Over the top .