George Shelvey

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: George Shelvey

Post by oldfogey »

Instead of posting multiple replies to misinformation, the situation is as follows:

Nobody is being put out of a job, or is having bread taken off their table. A player's wages are still paid, irrespective of whether he is available, or unavailable through injury or suspension. That's because it's a legally binding employment contract.

Has everyone forgotten the farce where Mickey Collins was signed from Newry and the club was told 2 days before the start of the season that they couldn't get international clearance for him? Club still had to pay his wages
southerncomfort
Reserves
Reserves

Post by southerncomfort »

he has apologised and decided not to appeal .
If he hadn't then it would be the end at dundalk

unfortunately . he's made himself a focal point for other fans , and therefore , especially as a keeper, and all the psychology that goes with it . he'll struggle in this league and best to move on I'd say.

occasionally , players can use being hated as motivation, but generally need their own fans with them

being a pro footballer is a massive privilege , and there is a price to pay for these things
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

The guy made a mistake, and in heat of the moment, I get that, but by the time he is available again it will be near End of July, and only 12 games then left.

However its just one thing after another with us at the minute and this is certainly not what we wanted, now we have a GK on the payroll for 10 weeks who can't play (could be argued injury would be the same), but this means the club has to make a decision now on a replacement.

Do we get in a guy for rest of season, then have 3 x GK's on the payroll later in the summer, or risk Munro and go with youth as back up? Not forgetting of course seemingly no GK coach, so we started in Feb with 2 x GK, and 1 GK coach, now its down to 1 x senior available GK (until End July).

Shep is available I see, I would go for him, I`m sure Munro and Shelvey are on 1+1 deals, one of them would need to leave then end of this season then to even if it up.

All in all, it's just another very avoidable mess we have found ourselves in, the whole focus should have been pulling together to have one and one aim only, staying up, now this.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:46 am My point is , in all the circumstances is that it was in the heat of the moment stuff, cut him a bit of slack . He obviously regrets saying it . He has apologised, leave it at that . I don’t know why they are not appealing it , & it would be reduced to a one match ban . All this racism talk is way off the mark . There are a lot worse remarks made coming off pitches after battles , so I stand firmly behind George & would support him , in his hour of need. No way do I kick a man when he is down . It is typical of course to see the righteous brigade out in force . It’s way out of context , the whole sad debacle . Brownie points for the FAI . There is obviously not a racist bone in his body , he settled in Dundalk & is well regarded. A 10’man ban , takes the bread of his table . Would be as well heading back to Nottingham or wherever he can get fixed up .
Heat of the moment is calling him a cnut. An underlying disrespect by Shelvey for Irish people is calling him an Irish cnut. No heat of the moment stuff.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:32 pm
Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:46 am My point is , in all the circumstances is that it was in the heat of the moment stuff, cut him a bit of slack . He obviously regrets saying it . He has apologised, leave it at that . I don’t know why they are not appealing it , & it would be reduced to a one match ban . All this racism talk is way off the mark . There are a lot worse remarks made coming off pitches after battles , so I stand firmly behind George & would support him , in his hour of need. No way do I kick a man when he is down . It is typical of course to see the righteous brigade out in force . It’s way out of context , the whole sad debacle . Brownie points for the FAI . There is obviously not a racist bone in his body , he settled in Dundalk & is well regarded. A 10’man ban , takes the bread of his table . Would be as well heading back to Nottingham or wherever he can get fixed up .
Heat of the moment is calling him a cnut. An underlying disrespect by Shelvey for Irish people is calling him an Irish cnut. No heat of the moment stuff.
Heat of the moment Niall ... how many people around town would call a Protestant a Proddy / Orange this or that, insulted local Indian or Chinese takeaway owners ......, how many have sang songs on the terraces insulting the British, English, Royal Family etc. People have short memories, I am sure 99% of us have done it .... and many people in Dundalk are very sensitive when it comes to English people doing wrong which stems from history. We have to give the young lad a bit of slack, he has made an apology, he will serve his punishment and it is time to let go. The club will make a decision at the end of the season, either they will let him leave quietly or they will keep him on. We have all made mistakes in life and if it was to be held against us forever, we would never get on.
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:14 am So you crucify the lad . There is such a thing as mental health . The lad choose to come to Dundalk , obviously for the first time , he now finds himself in this situation. I hope there are people in the club that look after him . I’m sure he feels isolated. He needs support , that’s the bigger picture .
Make your mind up Johnny which side of the line you are on. You cannot be on both sides. You are as good as telling us off for being too sensitive and too woke and then in your above post you pull the old mental health card. Suarez who racially abused Evra apologised and is apparently still sailing close to the wind, no doubt playing the old language barrier card or the mental health scam! He said it, let him take the punishment for it and maybe he will learn. I am sure Hitler said sorry at some point but carried on committing atrocities! There is absolutely no excuse in today’s world for racism. We have all called refs stupid cnuts, blind cnuts etc but when you prefix Cnut with a nationality it’s racist QED!
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

Hull White wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:12 pm
Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:14 am So you crucify the lad . There is such a thing as mental health . The lad choose to come to Dundalk , obviously for the first time , he now finds himself in this situation. I hope there are people in the club that look after him . I’m sure he feels isolated. He needs support , that’s the bigger picture .
Make your mind up Johnny which side of the line you are on. You cannot be on both sides. You are as good as telling us off for being too sensitive and too woke and then in your above post you pull the old mental health card. Suarez who racially abused Evra apologised and is apparently still sailing close to the wind, no doubt playing the old language barrier card or the mental health scam! He said it, let him take the punishment for it and maybe he will learn. I am sure Hitler said sorry at some point but carried on committing atrocities! There is absolutely no excuse in today’s world for racism. We have all called refs stupid cnuts, blind cnuts etc but when you prefix Cnut with a nationality it’s racist QED!
Ps. Suarez has never learned his lesson because Dalglish and Co gave him. 100% backing as you are now!
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Hull White wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:14 pm
Hull White wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:12 pm
Ps. Suarez has never learned his lesson because Dalglish and Co gave him. 100% backing as you are now!
Difference is Hull White that George apologised and had accepted the ban. Suarez never admitted guilt and made excuses. Big difference in each players and hence their clubs’ reactions. Wouldn’t you agree?
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

To a point yes but if I got a 10 game ban and the risk that my contract might be terminated I would apologise. Talks cheap. Let us see how he moves forward.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Hull White wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:39 pm To a point yes but if I got a 10 game ban and the risk that my contract might be terminated I would apologise. Talks cheap. Let us see how he moves forward.
He apologised to Harvey ( imagine ffs ) and to his teammates straight after the match, well before any disciplinary action. JR on his podcast was floating the idea of just a one match ban. Not body expected a 10 game ban
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Honestly folks, we need to move on.

We have much bigger problems. Can't see any way that we can avoid relegation now. With the dwindling crowds and increased travel costs associated with the 1st Division, someone is going to have to heavily subsidise the club next year in order to build a team with a reasonable chance of promotion.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

oldfogey wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:41 am Honestly folks, we need to move on.

We have much bigger problems. Can't see any way that we can avoid relegation now. With the dwindling crowds and increased travel costs associated with the 1st Division, someone is going to have to heavily subsidise the club next year in order to build a team with a reasonable chance of promotion.
Also factor in the increased travelling expenses for the club, and the fact that in the first division the calibre of manager and player we can attract will be significantly reduced.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:11 am
Hull White wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:39 pm To a point yes but if I got a 10 game ban and the risk that my contract might be terminated I would apologise. Talks cheap. Let us see how he moves forward.
He apologised to Harvey ( imagine ffs ) and to his teammates straight after the match, well before any disciplinary action. JR on his podcast was floating the idea of just a one match ban. Not body expected a 10 game ban
I dont know when he apologised or what he apologised for, but It had to be explained to him the following day and his immediate reaction was confusion as to why he can't use nationality as method of hilarious banter / form of discrimination.

JR can float whatever idea he wants about a 1 match ban, FIFA and FAI rules state a minimum 10 match ban for discriminatory behaviour. That's why there's no appeal, you can't appeal down from the minimum possible punishment.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

seand wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:24 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:11 am
I dont know when he apologised or what he apologised for, but It had to be explained to him the following day and his immediate reaction was confusion as to why he can't use nationality as method of hilarious banter / form of discrimination.

JR can float whatever idea he wants about a 1 match ban, FIFA and FAI rules state a minimum 10 match ban for discriminatory behaviour. That's why there's no appeal, you can't appeal down from the minimum possible punishment.
I was replying to another poster with regards to the fact that it was reported Shelvey apologised to his teammates and Harvey when he calmed down straight after the game. Hence he wasn’t just apologising because he knew he was getting such a long ban. I mentioned JR to show that that it wasn’t common knowledge what George had said so nobody knew he get such a ban.

As OF said it’s time move on from this as the ban a has been accepted and Georfe has apologised. We’ve got bigger problems and need to stick together
Rossco
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Rossco »

Late to the party on this, but there’s a duty of care to rehabilitate him and not just cut him adrift, take a different view this summer or end of season if there’s interest back home for him and maybe let him go then, probably best for all parties, but can’t be sacking him now, he’s human like the rest of us.