George Shelvey

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

George Shelvey

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Shelvey has been hit with a 10 match ban after his sending off on Monday. It's in line with racism and discrimination.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Gullans
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: George Shelvey

Post by Gullans »

He should be released over that
Inexcusable from a “pro “ footballer
BigChief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BigChief »

Shocking stuff. Who is our 3rd Choice Keeper.
Carrick_Road
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Carrick_Road »

Should have his contract terminated.

Sheppard is free isnt he.....
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

The rumour is (and I stress that it is only a rumour) that it was an anti-irish remark levelled at Harvey. If true, I think he should probably be released. An utterly brainless thing to come out with, especially when you're trying to establish yourself in a new league .
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

Carrick_Road wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:33 pm Should have his contract terminated.

Agent sold himself as a fan to get on side. Agent then tried to get his player best deal possible and fell out with club. Do i really care? NO Sign him UP. ten times the player then the two keepers recruited this year
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Oriel O'Shea wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:35 pm
Carrick_Road wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:33 pm Should have his contract terminated.

Agent sold himself as a fan to get on side. Agent then tried to get his player best deal possible and fell out with club. Do i really care? NO Sign him UP. ten times the player then the two keepers recruited this year
Said agent will know we need a keeper and will up his terms. And try to throw in some additional sneaky get out clauses.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Carrick_Road
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Carrick_Road »

Oriel O'Shea wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:35 pm

100% Agree, Even until end of season
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

Its an interesting one ... Called him an 'Irish C*nt' is the rumour.

Are we that sensitive?

Would we agree with a player like McClean getting a 10 game suspension for discrimination because he called a ref an 'English C**t'?
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Unless it is specifically in his contract, the club won't be able to do it. I distinctly remember Stephen McGuinness' involvement in ensuring that Dave Rogers got a big payout after the club sacked him for dropping his shorts in front the Pats fans.
Carrick_Road
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Carrick_Road »

superman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:41 pm Its an interesting one ... Called him an 'Irish C*nt' is the rumour.

Are we that sensitive?

Would we agree with a player like McClean getting a 10 game suspension for discrimination because he called a ref an 'English C**t'?
Racism is racism, end of story. No place for it anywhere
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

Carrick_Road wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:46 pm
superman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:41 pm Its an interesting one ... Called him an 'Irish C*nt' is the rumour.

Are we that sensitive?

Racism is racism, end of story. No place for it anywhere
Is it racist ? Like genuine question.

Attaching 'racism' to this feels very much like 'wanting' to be discriminated against more than anything for me, rather than it actually being racist.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Are we that sensitive?

To be fair to Shelvey it is important to know how sure you are of the words. "Breach of Regulations on Racism/Discrimination" is the term used by the Disciplinary Committee.
  • If it is 10 games I will imagine it will be appealed as that it is at the upper end of the scale
  • If it is true that he abused Harvey, I wonder what his justification was for targetting the referee. If it was over the amount of time added, Shelvey should have been looking closer to home
  • If that IS what he said, I would be more than concerned. In fact I would be furious. Racist abuse targetting the country where you is earning a living? Hard to face your teammates or people in the town after that.
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

It's either all okay or none of it's okay, simple as. Call him a c*nt to the annoyance of your supporters and coaches, and serve your 1 match ban if you really can't keep the head, but bringing his nationality into it was absolutely moronic. It doesn't help that the remark was made by an englishman.
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

My guess is he was giving out to ref about the embrassing call for the Drogheda winner.