George Shelvey

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: George Shelvey

Post by GC. »

Not sure if it is racism. Irish I are not a race, nor are Irish a protected group. Maybe a good solicitor could get the ban overthrown.
dieseldlk
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dieseldlk »

Dundalk have confirmed they will not be appealing with the player apologising for the language.

They said: "George attended today's Independent Disciplinary Control Unit hearing in which he explained that he deeply regrets the language that he used towards the referee.

"While George realised very quickly that he had used inappropriate language, he did not, at first, comprehend the discriminatory aspect of his words.

"However, having discussed the matter with club officials he now fully accepts that his words were not only offensive, but also discriminatory.

"Both George, and the club, accept the sanction imposed by the Independent Disciplinary Control Unit and will not be making an appeal.

"Going forward, Dundalk FC will work with George to develop his understanding of these issues."
Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk10 »

Apparently Shelvey came with a reputation of being a bit of a "loose cannon" to say the least of it.
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

Even more bad press for the club. Sick to death of it.
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

superman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:41 pm Its an interesting one ... Called him an 'Irish C*nt' is the rumour.

Are we that sensitive?

Would we agree with a player like McClean getting a 10 game suspension for discrimination because he called a ref an 'English C**t'?

I'm 100% comfortable with an Irish player getting a significant game ban for calling an English ref an English cnut. Likewise Shelvey. 10 games might be OTT and might be reduced on appeal, but I'm just hoping we have proper contracts in place and we can shift him out the door for gross misconduct.

It's not racism but it's discrimination and is treated the same.
Last edited by seand on Thu May 09, 2024 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

I mean he's used "Irish" as a pejorative term. The ref was not only a cnut, even worse, he's an Irish cnut. Our own player has discriminated against me. Against 95% of the club fan base. Against 70% of the club's players.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

superman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:41 pm Its an interesting one ... Called him an 'Irish C*nt' is the rumour.

Are we that sensitive?

Would we agree with a player like McClean getting a 10 game suspension for discrimination because he called a ref an 'English C**t'?
Why bring race into it though? Why not just say you're a cu*t instead of you're an Irish cu*t ? There's heat of the moment stuff and then there's something that's in your head. And an underlying thought.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Do people think if he calls him an Irish wanker that he gets a 10 match ban? He shouldn’t have said it but the ban seems way over the top. As for far calling for his contract to be terminated that’s beyond silly. If he was keepin clean sheets week in week out no one would be callin for a head. All a bit bizarre
tip on
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by tip on »

I agree the ban is excessive as are calls to sack him as DFC would have to pay up his full contract.
Let him earn his wage and make sure he has to attend all training sessions while suspended.
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

seand wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:29 pm I mean he's used "Irish" as a pejorative term. The ref was not only a cnut, even worse, he's an Irish cnut. Our own player has discriminated against me. Against 95% of the club fan base. Against 70% of the club's players.
Some people just love being victims.

All you are doing is leaving a young fella that is trying to develop his career here out to dry.

The FAI, the Referee, the Club, and the fans, are making this into a far bigger deal than it should.
colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:45 pm

Are we that sensitive?

Why bring race into it though? Why not just say you're a cu*t instead of you're an Irish cu*t ? There's heat of the moment stuff and then there's something that's in your head. And an underlying thought.
My guess is he's been brought up hearing statements like that his whole life, be it at home or elsewhere. A vast amount of English people still look down their noses at the Irish.

Having said that, I think 10 games is slightly over the top. Is 10 games the max for a racist comment? For instance, in my opinion, calling a person of colour a discriminatory name should have a bigger ban. How many games for an homophobic slur?
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

colymull wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:20 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:45 pm

Are we that sensitive?

My guess is he's been brought up hearing statements like that his whole life, be it at home or elsewhere. A vast amount of English people still look down their noses at the Irish.

Having said that, I think 10 games is slightly over the top. Is 10 games the max for a racist comment? For instance, in my opinion, calling a person of colour a discriminatory name should have a bigger ban. How many games for an homophobic slur?
Much as I get what you’re saying problem is that offence and how offensive something is is completely subjective so can only assume it’s 10 games if it’s discriminatory in any way no matter how much hate is behind it. Homophobia regular in oriel from the same fans who’ll tell ya Shelveys contract should be torn up
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Skin colour and race are all racism. It's an unusual one, when it's to an Irish person in Ireland. Suarez didn't get at long when he abused Evra. He got 8 games.Each country obviously has their own timeframe of a ban.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

superman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:05 pm
seand wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:29 pm I mean he's used "Irish" as a pejorative term. The ref was not only a cnut, even worse, he's an Irish cnut. Our own player has discriminated against me. Against 95% of the club fan base. Against 70% of the club's players.

All you are doing is leaving a young fella that is trying to develop his career here out to dry.

The FAI, the Referee, the Club, and the fans, are making this into a far bigger deal than it should.
I think it's a slightly simplistic way U are looking at it. Calling the ref a cu*t is one thing but referencing his nationality and calling him an Irish cu*t makes it an entirely different thing. Especially as Shelvey is English. That's a red rag to a bull to be fair. Having said that 10 match ban is excessive when you factor in that race and discrimination also includes obviously their skin colour and sexuality as well. Homophobia and skin colour would imho be a lot more sinister. Having said that as I say an English player calling the ref an Irish cu*t can be very inflammatory.
Last edited by niall_hearty2000 on Thu May 09, 2024 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

superman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:05 pm

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not a big fan of being a victim. Not a fan of being the victim of an anti-irish clown coming over here to a land his country has occupied and pillaged for centuries, using Irish as a term to denigrate some thick potato munching Paddy who has the temerity to annoy him. The historical context of an English man displaying anti Irish discrimination has barely been mentioned incidentally

I mean if you're cool with Shelvey looking down on you- and he does, because you're Irish and he's English - that's on you. I'm not OK with it. I'm also not OK with one of our Irish players calling an opponent a Nigerian cnut or a Polish cnut.