George Shelvey

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

carrickfan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: George Shelvey

Post by carrickfan »

This is a terrible slight on the club and definitely not the publicity needed, however it’s the least sanction warranted in my view. If a juvenile player in the schoolboys league used that language against another player or referee given the multicultural society we live in now, we would be horrified. It has to be stamped out if the game and this setting the standard.
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

Midfield11 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:21 pm If I was at work and an English lad called me an Irish c*#t in anger you can be guaranteed that wouldn’t be the end of it. Out the door lad
Good point. When I started college in Southampton in 1976 I was the only Irish lad in the year. On a night out in town drink was taken and a person who I had a dislike for called me a thick Irish bastard in anger. I hit him so hard that he went backwards through the Chinese Takeaway window. The police to their credit listened to the tale and more or less said I was heavily provoked and after speaking to the owner said if I paid for the window they would leave it at that. The other guy apologised to me and we learned to live with each other, but even with drink taken I could see his hatred in his eyes and other friends agreed and they all said he should be kicked out of college. He was. The 70’s were a different time but it is still hurtful and I am sorry to say there is no place for it in any society so George should have his contract terminated. He will always have that attitude no matter how many times he says sorry.
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

If he'd called a ref a black cnut or a Polish cnut I doubt he'd be getting aa much sympathy. For some reason a lot of Irish don't seem to see anti-irish sentiment as real discrimination.

By FIFA rules 10 matches is the MUNIMUM ban for racist/discriminatory behaviour, so by the rules he's been dealt with very leniently.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

And if my Aunt had balls , she would be my uncle.
Over the top from the FAI , ref didn’t do his job on the park , should have issued at least a second red .
They are putting a young man out of a job .
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:15 am And if my Aunt had balls , she would be my uncle.
Over the top from the FAI , ref didn’t do his job on the park , should have issued at least a second red .
No he's putting himself out of a job if it goes that far.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:15 am And if my Aunt had balls , she would be my uncle.
So by your reckoning if you were in work and had a bad day the boss has every right to racially abuse you and you would be happy to take it.
And if your aunt had balls she could still be your aunt in this day and age.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

My point is , in all the circumstances is that it was in the heat of the moment stuff, cut him a bit of slack . He obviously regrets saying it . He has apologised, leave it at that . I don’t know why they are not appealing it , & it would be reduced to a one match ban . All this racism talk is way off the mark . There are a lot worse remarks made coming off pitches after battles , so I stand firmly behind George & would support him , in his hour of need. No way do I kick a man when he is down . It is typical of course to see the righteous brigade out in force . It’s way out of context , the whole sad debacle . Brownie points for the FAI . There is obviously not a racist bone in his body , he settled in Dundalk & is well regarded. A 10’man ban , takes the bread of his table . Would be as well heading back to Nottingham or wherever he can get fixed up .
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:46 am My point is , in all the circumstances it was in the heat of the moment , cut him a bit of slack . He obviously regrets saying it . He has apologised, leave it at that . I don’t know why they are not appealing it , & it would be reduced to a one match ban . All this racism talk is way off the mark . There are a lot worse remarks made coming off pitches after battles , so I stand firmly behind George & would support him , in his hour of need. No way do I kick a man when he is down . It is typical of course to see the righteous brigade out in force . It’s way out of context , the whole sad debacle . Brownie points for the FAI .
Most things are heat of the moment doesn't mean you can brush it off. There has to be line you can't cross, or what's the point of having rules? They don't abuse Referees in Rugby.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

So you crucify the lad . There is such a thing as mental health . The lad choose to come to Dundalk , obviously for the first time , he now finds himself in this situation. I hope there are people in the club that look after him . I’m sure he feels isolated. He needs support , that’s the bigger picture .
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:14 am So you crucify the lad . There is such a thing as mental health . The lad choose to come to Dundalk , obviously for the first time , he now finds himself in this situation. I hope there are people in the club that look after him . I’m sure he feels isolated. He needs support , that’s the bigger picture .
+1

It is hardly like the lad went on a big tirade about why the Irish is this or that.

Reads a lot more like a slip of the tongue more than anything deeper than that.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Well said , Superman . A bit of common sense . 👍
Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco »

throw away comment in the heat of the moment, he's accepted the punishment, that should be the end of it.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Good man Shoco , common sense . 👍
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Can we let this go ... I am sure any of you who grew up like myself in the 70s and 80s did a lot worse. Remember school tours to Newry swimming pool or ice skating in Belfast where much worse was sang by 30-50 kids on a bus crossing the border and not a word said.
I work daily with English, and they are somewhat behind when it comes to things like this. The last thing they won was the war, so they find it OK to dress up as a Nazi soldier (Prince Harry prime example) and go out for a night out, German tourists in London or anywhere else are feckin mortified when they see it. I am sure there are many other examples and what I am trying to say is the lad has probably heard such language towards Irish, Indians, Pakistanis or people of colour all his life. It is up to the club to work with him, give him a short history lesson, some cultural training and let it go. He is a young lad who made a mistake ... if he was from the town and called someone an English C+nt on a football field.... most people would sneer about it or agree with him. Glass Houses folks.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:14 am So you crucify the lad . There is such a thing as mental health . The lad choose to come to Dundalk , obviously for the first time , he now finds himself in this situation. I hope there are people in the club that look after him . I’m sure he feels isolated. He needs support , that’s the bigger picture .
No, but if he said he said it. So it's a 10 game. What would they be appealing? Ban seems long but that must be the standard going forward