Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

Nathan is better than what we have, but I wouldnt be too keen on inviting his agent back into the mix. Are both our GKs on permanent deals?
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Both permanent deals. Shelvey is on a 1 year deal. They paid a fee for Munroe .

Shepperd was poor enough in the second half of the season. European games and Cup game in Galway. His form then wouldn't be an improvement on the current keepers.
dundog21
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by dundog21 »

Sheperd was very poor last half of the season,let him and his agent leech off someother club.
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

dundog21 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:59 pm Sheperd was very poor last half of the season,let him and his agent leech off someother club.
To be fair, the lad was badly advised by his leech, I mean agent. Decent goalkeeper though.
Philistine
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Philistine »

Hull White wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:12 pm Just read that Wycombe have released Nathan Shepard.
Mr Burton's X account has gone mute. Giving it the big one a while back after getting Sheps to Wycombe like it was some big deal, lad couldn't even get a single game in League One ffs. Cameron Yates (remember him?) even got a few games there and that was when Wycombe were in the Championship.

I know you'll read this Andy so keep up the good work while obsessing over Dundalk, I'd say Nathan feels lucky to have you!!
Philistine
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Philistine »

Philistine wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:12 pm
Hull White wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:12 pm Just read that Wycombe have released Nathan Shepard.
Mr Burton's X account has gone mute. Giving it the big one a while back after getting Sheps to Wycombe like it was some big deal, lad couldn't even get a single game in League One ffs. Cameron Yates (remember him?) even got a few games there and that was when Wycombe were in the Championship.

I know you'll read this Andy so keep up the good work while obsessing over Dundalk, I'd say Nathan feels lucky to have you!!
Also wouldn't have Shepperd back anywhere near the club, good 1st year but cost us a serious amount of points last seasion. Shelvey also starting to come very good
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

I think the agent stuff was in poor taste, but it kind of is his job to try to get his client the best deal, and just seemed to have overreached. Best to leave it in the past now.

For Shepp, you would have to have some sympathy for him. When he was here, he seemed like a very honest lad.

He came across as very much a 'confidence' player, and once SOD seemed to be a downward slope from last season on, so was he. I think if he got his head right and kept growing in confidence by staying in the LOI with Dundalk for a season or two more, he would have been in a much better position to go and win a starting place in the English league.

Now he is an unsigned player again, after a period of not being signed by any English or LOI team.

Still have him over Shelvey - would have Munro over Shelvey too.
BigChief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BigChief »

Jim Magilton just won the Irish cup with Cliftonville , they beat Linfield 3-1.
Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White »

Nathan Shepperd didn't have a hard act to follow
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

BigChief wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:26 pm Jim Magilton just won the Irish cup with Cliftonville , they beat Linfield 3-1.
First Cup in 45 years. Magilton has done a great job at Cliftonville.
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

Richie87 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:01 pm
BigChief wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:26 pm Jim Magilton just won the Irish cup with Cliftonville , they beat Linfield 3-1.
First Cup in 45 years. Magilton has done a great job at Cliftonville.
Yep really has now won all their fans over
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Good to see, was out last night and read the score wrong, thought it was Linfield who won 3-1 !!

I see they are still playing the English national anthem before their finals, (and its not the uk one, as Scot and Wales have sep ones), very odd and especially bad form when Cliftonville were involved.
colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull »

mike wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:29 pm Good to see, was out last night and read the score wrong, thought it was Linfield who won 3-1 !!

I see they are still playing the English national anthem before their finals, (and its not the uk one, as Scot and Wales have sep ones), very odd and especially bad form when Cliftonville were involved.
Northern Ireland also play it before their internationals. I also find it very odd that they don't have their own, as you say GSTK is the English anthem
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

I know Irish National Anthem is played at senior GAA games in NI, but I think its also played in senior GAA games all over Ireland as well, and not to sound contradictive, but those are not 'national' game occasions in NI. The Cup final and NI games are.

Playing GSTQ/K is hardly inclusive.

Goals at below link, increased attendance and biggest in 10 years or so, but still only 15k, they seem to have a lot of work to do to get even close to the lowest attended FAI cup final in recent era.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... 2je3zwn3wo
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Yeah it's silly playing that anthem. Wales and Scotland are patriotic countries and have their own anthem. The North cried in the past about losing Catholic players to the republic, but hardly helped themselves with the Anthem and flag.