Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Ground Standards

Post by mike » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:55 pm

We need to get it up to PD league standard first !

Its almost as if the only thing that will see any upgrade is if we are forced to, like the LOI having a min requirement of 3k covered seats, which they should have to be honest.

Once FH get theirs up and running, and if Drogs do get their built, we will drop to the worst ground if all are in the PD.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:56 pm

I was watching the ré run of the 2014 last match title decider v Cork on Facebook last night, and even if we erected the temporary stand we had behind the Carrick road end that night. If we could erect one permanently behind both goals it would be a start. OK no protection from the elements, but a view of the entire pitch from a seat. It's a start. Wouldn't cost the earth. Even for that one night Oriel looked like a half decent loi stadium. Not sure if health and safety guidelines permit a permanent "temporary" structure, but if they do, we should definitely look into it. But I don't think the ambition for this is within the owners remit alas.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Some great suggestions there guys, P11, I like that idea, flatten the away end, and build a beer garden / smoking area, or have bbq style tables for post covid times and do food if there is any ambition.

Niall, also good shout on the Cork game, final match 2014, that temp stand remember was also up same season for the LC final v Rovers in Sept. It made Oriel look like a 'proper' ground. The advertising hoardings looked so much more professional too with the background. St Pats have pretty much the exact same structure behind the inchicore end. We could easily install this, carrick road end, still would be space for cars etc to pass it.

Install a bigger one home end, and a scaled down version carrick road end for away fans. I find as long as its a decent view, and comfortable, folk won't give out about a lack of roof, examples Pats, Longford, now its of course better to have a roof, but one thing at a time.

One thing is certain, the current away end, should be demolished, and now we have a good reason for it, beer garden for LW lounge, revenue stream.

EDIT: The other thing that annoys me from fans saying we shouldn't upgrade away end, as its 'only for away fans', we get 500+ Rovers fans, not far off Bohs, Pats around 300, Drogs maybe 400 depending how they are doing, the avg take from these 4 examples is 4k just for opening a door, and look what we offer them ? Treaty United albeit playing in locally owned Markets Field have a better away end that we have !

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:52 am

I see the 'Win a house' draw netted Louth GAA €1.2m , the proceeds going to the new stadium project.

24,000 tickets were sold at €100 each.

Would there be appetite for something similar for Dundalk FC/League of Ireland.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:48 am

I enjoyed reading that report and the comments. I don't like the Aviva either. Some seats are described as having a "restricted view!" I agree with the comments about Tallaght too. But there is nothing complicated or grand about Tallaght, it's basically simple and functional - and Oriel could just as easily be the same. The stand behind the Carrick Rd end for the Cork game in 2014 demonstrated how atmospheric the place could be.
But just for now I would settle for success on the field of play!
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:31 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:52 am I see the 'Win a house' draw netted Louth GAA €1.2m , the proceeds going to the new stadium project.

I think it would be a massive challenge. The GAA clubs themselves and their members sold a vast amount of these tickets and there just isn't that type of community around the football club. We would need to rope in Football clubs and maybe local charities giving them a percentage of proceeds. It could also bring a lot of goodwill to the club as a lot of these charities wouldn't be able run something like this themselves. If you had a house in Dundalk worth €200k up for the prize you're probably looking at 3000/4000 tickets sold before making a profit depending on what percentage went to charity. It'd be a gamble I think
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:39 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:52 am I see the 'Win a house' draw netted Louth GAA €1.2m , the proceeds going to the new stadium project.

You have to realise the pull the gaa has. Every club is affiliated to the gaa and have ambitions to play for Louth and majority of funding and gate receipts go into county board. The schoolboys league teams are affiliated to themselves and don't need to fundraise for dundalk fc. Equally Louth gaa would appear to have big pull within the county and town councils and at political tables. Dundalk fc don't. The only way we will ever get funding is if the owners ever invest in it. The town council don't have the stomach for it. Louth gaa sold 24k tickets from a population of 129k within the county. Dundalk would need to sell 24k tickets from a population of 39k. A very tall ask.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:07 am

Dalymount given the go ahead , will be able to watch Bohs v Dundalk in comfort , four miles via the 37 bus. 👍

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:30 am

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:07 am Dalymount given the go ahead , will be able to watch Bohs v Dundalk in comfort , four miles via the 37 bus. 👍
"The allocation of €918,750 from the Large Scale Sports Infrastructure Fund (LSSIF) will part fund the design and planning elements of the project.

Dublin City Council will now appoint an architect led integrated design team that will begin work shortly on the preliminary design".

€900k+ to PART fund a preliminary design. No wonder only Co Councils build stadia. Between approving a design, consultation with the locals, getting planning permission, and going to tender, it's difficult to see it being ready to play in before the start of the 2026 season.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:08 pm

It will be a 6,000 all seater , heard on the News.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:00 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:08 pm It will be a 6,000 all seater , heard on the News.
That's €6250 per seat. Works out at 25 years for my allocated stand seat

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm

There was some problem regarding ownership of parts of the ground which presumably has been resolved. If this is to be a 6000 all seater it would suggest to me that large parts of the stadium will not be used because they are owned by someone else
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:00 pm
Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:08 pm It will be a 6,000 all seater , heard on the News.
If only Peak6 could sell 8 - 10K + season tickets at the price of your stand seat per year...sure then they would have no reason not to build.
On a serious note, without dipping further into their own cash a new development like the Bohs one is a non runner in Dundalk unless either Europe comes calling every year or the council get behind it. No club in Ireland can afford that type of money.......not even the super rich in Tallaght. Kinda says a lot about how (badly) the LOI has been run over the years......

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:49 pm

Pepsi wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:00 pm
If only Peak6 could sell 8 - 10K + season tickets at the price of your stand seat per year...sure then they would have no reason not to build.
On a serious note, without dipping further into their own cash a new development like the Bohs one is a non runner in Dundalk unless either Europe comes calling every year or the council get behind it. No club in Ireland can afford that type of money.......not even the super rich in Tallaght. Kinda says a lot about how (badly) the LOI has been run over the years......
Badly run or badly supported? I would say both. The government support and funding isn't there. The fai support isn't there. We live in a country consumed and saturated with football, but with a population who are only after their next big fix. Look at the old days even up to the 70's. We can't include the 80's as the country was gripped by recession emigration and the troubles, but right up to the end of the 70's Irish people supported Irish teams. Now with the advent of sky and Ryanairs cheaper flights, the barstoolers have gone to support English and Scottish clubs. As I have said many times there are people in Ireland spending €5-600 a week travelling to the UK to support an English or Scottish club helping them financially get stronger with top class facilities. We also have fans here who are season ticket holders paying up to €1500 a season for the privilege plus flights food etc added on. That's the problem. If dundalk were getting fans spending up on 2k a year in oriel instead of for the most part €150-250 a season on a season ticket then the league in general would be able to prosper. But it never will and the league will never prosper without government and fai grants. Neither of which appears to be forthcoming. How much does rugby and the gaa get in funding and support from the government every year? Reduce it and divert some of it to the loi. Not the fai but the loi. Enforce that this funding must go on improving the infrastructure and make it pro rata on Who needs the most. Tallaght turner's Cross etc wouldn't need ad much ad ourselves drogheda finn harps etc. Get the infrastructure correct first, then improve prize money and improve the standard of the league. We see here in oriel under Kenny we had possibly the greatest loi side ever playing attractive football going toe to toe with the best in Europe but we never got the crowds we deserved. Oriel is not a good stadium. Its not even in the 21st century. Families don't want to go, which means a generation of fans lost because there is nothing charming about oriel. There never was. But in our younger days it was on a par with everything else. Now a night at the cinema or a fancy pub or whatever post covid appears a more family friendly experience. If I wanted to have a drink pre or post match the bars in oriel simply don't appeal there is nothing charming or welcoming u into them. Or making u want to stay. Same with food in the ground or the away terrace. You have to make it desirable for people to want to stay and spend their disposable income in oriel. So get the infrastructure right you will get more people wanting to come to oriel and when they are there, make it more attractive for them to want to stay there. I was at the Allianz arena in 2019 and it was a top class venue. You could get a pint and u could bring it to your seat during the game in a bayern Munich crested plastic pint glass. You could keep it as a momento or return it for a refund. Even a thing like that would be a merchandise opportunity in the bars in oriel. If u make it attractive people will spend more time in the stadium spending more money. If the food is decent people will spend money on the food. Even a little thing like a kitchen in the bars. How many of us at a game supping a few pints pre or post match will get the munchies and gladly pay for even sausage and chips in a basket etc. Trial it see if it is profitable.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:51 pm

Well , we have been very involved in Europe , winning leagues & doing doubles , over the past 10 years & winning millions in prize money , we won 3 million last year & the ground still falling down . There is not a squeak out of our owners about the future , I remember sitting in Tallaght , when we beat Bate Borisov 3-0 , & hard enough as it was to sit in Tallaght rather than Oriel Park , I felt this is the time to start a project & build a new Oriel , nothing happened. For me , I have lost interest in a new Oriel Park , it should have been built 30 years ago . Good post Pepsi.👍